Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

documentary

Aug 23, 2012 10:27 AM

Hiya. I started to work on a documetary about a town in the midwest. First I have to read everything in the world about the history ( doing now ) and then find some way to have a "slant" on the story that gives it the "ending" I want. I am an optimistic soul, with nothing but goodwill for my neighbors etc..so I want the documentary to have an optimistic upbeat sort of feeling attached to it ( and the ending ).

ITS BEER THIRTY !!!  YIPEE !!!!

Since it is beer thirty and time to hang in the lounge and munch yoodles and peanuts  ( burp, scuse me ) and drink coors lite...I am as optimistic as ever !

I wonder if Dave ever got moved out to CO Okay and is now chasing wolves in the wilderness ?

Anyway, have you ever noticed that some towns have personalities like people almost ? Like what some call " reputations " ?  What does YOUR town have for a personality ?

I think that some of the old wild west towns have tourist businesses now that cash in on the wild days... like, gunfight at the OK Corral re-enactments and stuff like that ?

I haven't found anyone here in this town running around in gypsy costumes or clown suits and assume this is a pretty serious place. If I have my way I will turn it into a fun loving place despite the apparent lack of this in the adult population. The kids display this fun loving attitude in every way ( thank goodness ).

Anyway, ( burp, scuse me ) ITS BEER THIRTY !  AGAIN ! ( or did it just run from one thirty into the next thirty ? ).... If you have any ideas based on YOUR OWN FUN TOWN that I can look into to make this documentary more FUN... let me know.... I'm all ears !

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to able123

My "home town" is noteworthy for two major industries.  You might look in that direction.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mitchell Lopez
    259 posts
    Jul 8, 2004
    Aug 24, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

My hometown is known for its nice weather with the resulting scantily clad women with California bods/tans, beaches, micro-breweries, fish tacos, Playboy’s top party college, horse racing, (sadly, no Formula 1 races here), major theme parks, border smuggling/tunnels, and is one of the most expensive cities to live in.  We love to feign annoyance with Zonies and complain when the weather drops to a “freezing” 68 degrees.

It also has less interesting things like the largest military presence on the Pacific Rim, leading bio-tech companies, major chip manufactures, and air-space industries.

You could make an amusing video showing someone trying to get a parking at the beach in the summer, but all the parking spots are taken by cars with a cactus (Arizona) on the license plate, and showing the natty attire of these “Zonies”.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to Mitchell Lopez

Hello Mitchell,

I think that I have found the problem. As no one would think of just heading over to SD on their own, I knew that something had to be afoot. In the Travel section of the local "fish wrapper," there was a 5-page spread on "Going to SD." It went into great detail on all that one could do there, where to dine, where to stay, where to rent seasonal housing and even "day trips" in the area. I mean, who knew???? Those poor Zonies, whose brains have been baked into submission by the heat, see all that neat stuff, and so near too. It's no wonder that they fill the Interstate Highway with their Cadillacs, and head to cooler climes. They are but "sheep," responding to the SD Chamber of Tourism's ads.

Now, if they park no better there, than they do here, it is no wonder that all the parking spots are occupied - each Cadillac seems to take up three spaces here!

Sorry for the influx, but I think the problem stems from internal actions - maybe advertise in the San Francisco Chronicle?

Stay cool, but not TOO cool.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Mitchell Lopez
    259 posts
    Jul 8, 2004
    Aug 24, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

Could you PLEASE buy all the papers there, and perhaps recoup your loses by taking them back to recycling? Or just put money in the paper machine, and instead of taking one, take them ALL!

FYI: I was at SeaWorld today and did not see any Cactus plates in the parking lot.  Have I stepped into a different dimension?  Is Zonie season over?  Did they all get rentals?  Have they evolved and have gone stealth?  (Their clothes will give them away – sandals with socks, long pants in summer, farmer tans, the Gilligan hats, and pasty white legs.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to Mitchell Lopez

Mitchell,

From that description, I think that what you have is a bad case of "Canadians," and they just used their AZ autos to drive over. We get those too, and just make do.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Mitchell Lopez
    259 posts
    Jul 8, 2004
    Aug 25, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

When you say you “make do” with the “Canadians”, I guess you are a bigger man than me.  But maybe you do not realize the indiscretions we have to deal with.  When these “Canadians” come to SD (with their cars with the Cactus plates), they:

• Go to “Locals Only” beaches (which are ALL of them) and take up space.
    • When they are on the freeways, they are oblivious that ALL lanes of traffic are going faster than they are.
    • Their calf length socks are ridiculous.
    • If they are wearing shorts, they are these massively wide polyester white or bright green shorts that are not even name brand. (Have they ever heard of cotton?)
    • When they park, their rear bumper attachment for their electric convenience vehicles (ECVs) make it difficult to navigate the parking lots with two way traffic.  (The ECV’s base platform when it sticks out in the lane, makes it hard to move)

My doctor said to ignore them and think of the positives in my life. Bill, I have no idea how you deal with it.  I’m living in nirvana. Why is life so harsh and has to throw in these “wild cards”?  The only solace is that summer is almost over and we can go back to normal.  (“Locals Rule” dude!)

Rod – There is your movie.  I don’t mean for you to tell my story.  I mean to say for you to tell YOUR local interest story.  Use your imagination.  Tell something unique, from where you live.  Being behind the camera or sound is the easy part.

Coming up with a local interest point and telling a story is what takes artist ability (imagination).  Think outside of the box.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Mitchell Lopez

The movie might be a conversation amongst the 3 of you. I'm thinking dry humor. Increase the budget, and include "scenes" as you describe.

Jim, you're going to have to add more comedy material to be the 4th. Or maybe you can be the Director, since the other 3 will be "acting."

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to Mitchell Lopez

Mitchell,

Regarding the clothing, it's just something that we live with here. They do have a "style," but let's leave it as a "different style."

As one who spends most days in cargo shorts and "Island print" shirts, I am often amused. I am not sure where one would even go, to buy those clothes. In SD, they must stick out even more!

However, as our economy is still depressed, and as the economy in Canada is doing much better, we welcome those folk, and just avert our gaze.

Personally, I also refrain from venturing to Scottsdale (a suburb that seems to attract those folk), even though the Costco there has a better high-end wine selection, than mine in Paradise Valley. Those "extended" rear bumpers really create problems in that Costco's parking lot, so I do feel your pain.

Maybe Rod needs to head to SD (didn't we try to work with him on "SD vernacular - "beach speak," not that long ago?), and do a documentary on the influx of Zonies?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

maybe you can be the Director

I've always been more comfortable behind the camera, anyway.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mitchell Lopez
    259 posts
    Jul 8, 2004
    Aug 25, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to able123

Rod,

I’m glad you got a laugh out of it.  However, I hope you did not miss the point.  If you are going to create and direct a video of your home town, you need to have an idea/plot/issues/theme, and pay attention to details.

When I mention Zonies, I hope you got a taste and a visual of what Bill and I were talking about.  The details are very important.  The next step would be to create it for a camera.  (Using your own story/plot of your town)  If I were to create a video of my town, I would need Cadillac’s, wardrobe (gawd knows where I would get Zonie outfits), people with no tans, and location, location, location.

“The devil is in the details” – They make the story. Overwhelm them with details.  There should be so many details, they may not catch them with one viewing.  And that is what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to able123

Did you say somewhere you are in Mound, Minnesota? How about including something about Tonka Toys? Little choo choo trains, big trucks, cute dolls.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to able123

That sounds like a good start.

Oh, by the way, I see that Adam Sandler is doing a movie with Tonka Toys. No pressure.

My own plot idea is to open with a shot of a spaceship, shaped like a Tonka truck, approaching Earth 60 years ago. These are aliens come to pay homage to the burial mounds of their ancestors who landed thousands of years before. Isn't Mound, MN named after the ancient burial mounds?

Then, when the aliens see how neglected the burial sites are they vow to get even with the current inhabitants, so they start this company to capture the minds and hearts of children.

I'm stilll working on the ending.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

I think I'll have to add Jerry to my version. Rod, Mitchell, and Bill doing their things, then enter Jerry, who's been hiding behind the fake plant - yeh, I think we should use the Lounge as the base setting - eating yoodles or some such,,, "Wait," he says (we'll work on the dialogue), I've got an idea, isn't Mound MN the site of old burial grounds" - and we cut to the space entry....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to able123

Gosh, that is an oldie, that I had completely forgotten about, and I am a closet Peter Sellars fan. You are really, really "looking back" with that one.

Maybe Jim Simon can play Victor Mature's role?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to able123

Now, the biggest let down in my young life was when I found out that "wrasling" [SIC] was fake...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I don't know Hunt.  Remember Thunderlips in Rocky?  He didn't take too kindly being told wrestling was fake.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to able123

"I was such a Peter Seller fan."
    We all know this one.  I'm just posting it for anyone born in the 80's or 90's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

Yes, Sellers was a unique actor. I spent some time with other Seller's material in that area of YouTube. I had forgotten much of it, and other pieces sort of blended in my mind and memory. Thanks.

I have been horribly disappointed at some of the attempts by other actors, such as Steve Martin, trying to replicate Sellers. None has come close, and I cannot recall a single one brings even a chuckle, at least from me. I actually felt embarrassment for them.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt:

"I don't know Hunt.  Remember Thunderlips in Rocky?  He didn't take too kindly being told wrestling was fake."

I was kidding!  I should make use of 's

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to able123

Rodney,

I think that you nailed the difference between Sellers and an actor, like Martin. I do not believe Martin's characters in most films. It's like seeing a bunch of SNL skits, edited together. Much of the "humor" in Sellers' films also probably stemmed from Blake Edwards just turning him loose, and not trying to hit the auidence over the head, multiple times, with the same gig, or fall. Edwards understood humor, and understood (and trusted) Sellers, and let him loose. Though I did not see all of his work, and what I saw was many decades ago, I do not recall Sellers using the same fall more than once, over his portfolio, or if he did, it was altered to the point, that I did not pick up on the repetition. Martin does the same thing over, and over and over, and he, or his director, assumes that the audience is just not smart enough to get it, the first 5 times. Now, I have enjoyed Martin, but only in small, quick doses. Even in real, social life, he was the same way. Sort of like Chevy Chase - a small bag of tricks, used ad infinitum. If you have seen all five of his pratfalls, you have seen his entire portfolio. Nothing will be new, and nothing will change, other than the name of the character, with but few exceptions.

I've spent some time with both Martin and Chase, and do not recommend doing so. Now, Billy Crystal, or Robin Williams, well that is another story. Wish that I could have had dinner with Jonathan Winters, or Ernie Kovaks. That would have been kicks - or some bubbles burst in the process.

One thing that I did enjoy, was when a "dramatic" actor/actress, like Spencer Tracy, got to do comedy, and how well they adapted to the character.

I also like work from directors, who do not assume that I will not "get the joke," and see no need to repeat, repeat, repeat. Rowan Atkinson, when turned loose (working in the UK) has been enjoyable. When placed into a US production, with directors, accustomed to such fare, he is horrible -inane and unwatchable, at least for me.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to able123

Rodney,

I must have missed those, as nothing triggers the rusty, cobweb covered memory door in my mind.

Probably 5 years before his death, Dangerfield brought 3 young comics to our local comedy club. They were interspersed with a lot of our better local talent, and really showed how good stand-up could be. Do not recall any names, but one was just stellar, and should have a great career in comedy. Dangerfield did one set, but nothing worked. His timing was way off, and his material stale. He got sympathy applause, but that was all. It was very sad, but he was definitely burned out, or perhaps in a drug-induced stupor? After Caddyshack, I saw few parts, where he did good work. Writing, directing or acting as a cause? Do not know, but something was wrong.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to able123

Hm-m, calling me a "warthog," should not have triggered the moderation. Usually when you do that, the MOD's all join in to support you, so long as your slings and arrows are aimed at me...

Yeah, must have been the Cognac with Coors Lite chasers. That'll do it every time. My consensus on Cognac is that it is bad wine, that is turned into worse liquor - think "Bad Shot Night."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to able123

Don't forget when Dangerfield's psychiatrist told him he was crazy.  Rodney said he'd like to get a second opinion, and the doc said, OK, you're ugly too.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to able123

I am not big on calling out from the audience. I have done that twice, and yes, adult beverages were involved. One was not big deal, but I regret the other instance - cannot reverse the hands of time. At least it was not produced into a YouTube video, 'cause those dudes never go away...

The best thing about his appearance was the three guys that he was campaigning for. They were great. When it was all said and done, I wish that he'd just have waved from the back of the rooom. Everyone would have been happier. I guess that the draw of the lights and the mic were just too much for him to resist, but I wish that he had.

Oh well,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

OK, you're ugly too.

Could have been worse (maybe?), as the Dr. could have said, "OK, and your mother dresses you funny."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Mitchell Lopez
    259 posts
    Jul 8, 2004
    Sep 6, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to able123

Hello Rod. 

My “financial Advisor” said he is willing to grant you all your wishes. (With conditions)  He said he will buy you the Red, give you two years of extreme success, but after that two yours, you will need to give him your soul, which will be due to the day.

Shhh – I do not advise this.  When he calls me to visit, the heat is a thousand times worse than Arizona.  And the smell of sulfur lingers in your nostrils for days.  And when he does talk to me, I can’t stand how “he” always pokes me with his pitchfork.

Can’t you just rent?  Many do this and do great results with less than a Red.  Beside, I read “his” contract and it only includes the basic Red without lenses & etc.  (Making the Red less than usable.) 

I hope “he” does not see my post advising against him as he will probably send me to the Pit of Despair again.  I can’t stand all the snakes there, and the rotting flesh.

Rent, rent, rent.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)