On my acer laptop, everytime I turn the computer off, and try to view a video (particularly on facebook), I'm told I need to download that latest flash player.....which, of course, was already downloaded. I have windows 7, and have tried uninstalling and installing (latest version of flash player). It was doing this with windows explorer as well as with firefox. I've used CCleaner, CC Enhancer, Malwarebytes, and Spybot search and cleaned off anything that shouldn't be there (all under the instruction of a fellow from allexperts). No difference.
Wow! Even though in step #4 it told me I didn't have permission to extract it to that folder, I pressed 'continue'......and continued with the steps. And voila! It works.
This problem has been going on for several months, and I've spent so much time and hair pulling trying to fix it.
I so appreciate this solution.
Uh oh! Maybe I spoke too soon. Now my laptop won't let me into my email or websites....except, in some instances, very slowly. I get a message at the bottom of my screen saying the website (msn.ca, facebook, etc.) "is not responding".
I'm assuming that this process I followed to fix my flash player had something to do with this, as this has never happened before.
It seems to have really slowed down to the point that it's not functional.
It shouldn't have affected this. The process you did just adjusted the permissions for Flash Player folders, files and registry entries. Could you try restarting your system to see if that makes a difference? Additionally, you might want to try clearing your browser cache.
I've rebooted my computer several times to no avail. I also cleared my browser cache from firefox and from Internet Explorer. Then restarted again. Still no difference.
I did make what seemed like a minor mistake when I first followed those instructions. I forgot the first time to right click and get "run as administrator".
But then I tried again, right clicked that and ran as administrator.
I don't know if that initial error could have affected anything. Is there a way of reversing the process....just to see if it makes a difference?
Thanks so much for helping.
It sounds like you're running into DNS problems. Are you able to get to any sites you've never visited before on this machine? I'm attaching a small batch file that does a quick look up to facebook.com, then pings the server. You might want to give it a try and post the contents, maybe it'll show us what's going wrong. My log looks like:
Pinging www-slb-11-08-prn1.facebook.com [184.108.40.206] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 220.127.116.11: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=243
Reply from 18.104.22.168: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=243
Reply from 22.214.171.124: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=243
Reply from 126.96.36.199: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=242
Ping statistics for 188.8.131.52:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 45ms
In addition, you might also want to try clearing your DNS cache. http://lifehacker.com/343211/clean-your-dns-cache-to-fix-browsing-prob lems
Chris, I don't understand what any of this means....but that's OK, because it now seems fixed. It looks like the whole problem was related to my google, and websites like facebook that I had probably previously downloaded from google. When I'd try getting into a website through the browser on google, it wouldn't work either.
So I used google chrome, and everything was fine. I just downloaded my email address, and my facebook via google chrome and now it all works. Websites also work from firefox.
I don't know if that procedure for fixing flash player somehow conflicted with google, or whether it was just a huge coincidence.
So thanks for all your help.
Europe, Middle East and Africa