Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player ActiveX control content debugger on Windows 8

Aug 27, 2012 2:03 PM

Tags: #flash_player #debug #activex #installation_failure #windows_8

Is there a way to install the debugger version of the Flash Player ActiveX control on Windows 8? None of the currently available installers from Adobe works on Windows 8 now. Even the Flash Player uninstaller is unable to remove Windows' built-in player. Are you going to solve this problem in the near future?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to ruben.buniatyan

I too would love to hear about this.  Windows 8 release is nearing and I'm currently unable to debug my flash applications

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to -windowns-

Me three would like to here about this.  I'm running Win-8 RTM and have no debugger.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to DigitalLayering

Any news on this?  The release of windows 8 is nearing.  Just a simple statement would be great.  No promises, but just something to let the development community know that Adobe has this on their radar.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to -windowns-

I was successful getting the Flash debugger to run under Chrome.  You have to install the "Other" Flash debugger then disable the native Flash player in Chrome so that it finds the debugg version.  But we all still need to be able to target Internet Explorer or built in Flash as well.  It would be good to understand how and when this will fit in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 9:36 PM   in reply to ruben.buniatyan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Looked through the pdf.  It does talk about file locations for the player in various operating system, and talks about how in windows 8 the flash player install is controlled by Windows Update.  But it doesn't talk about how i can install the debugger version.  Is there a way for me to extract the right files from the install exe i download and then place them in the appropriate location?  I feel like that'd be more of a hack than a solution.  I'm sure Adobe has some answer for this problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Oct 17, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to -windowns-

Sorry for the lack of information on the content debugger for Win 8.  The debugger will be available for download on Microsoft's website a few weeks after Windows 8 general availability (10/26).

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

Thanks for the info!  I've been searching daily since release for the download.  And as the internets work, it could be days after microsoft originally hosts it until the indexing spider find it.  This thread is always right up top when searching.  Could you post the link when you are aware of it's availability?  That'd be a huge help to the developer community as a whole.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Oct 31, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to -windowns-

Absolutely.  I'll post back here (and make a FAQ) as soon as I learn the URL.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Nov 7, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to ruben.buniatyan

These were released yesterday and can be found at the link above or directly from Microsoft here:

Windows 8 x86 - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=269535

Windows 8 x64 – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=269538

Windows RT – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=269539

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thanks guys for posting that info up!  I've since been able to download the debugger and i'm back to normal now being able to debug in good ole Internet Explorer.  I've already noted memory usage improvements when compared to debugging with Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to -windowns-

I have installed this, but Flash Builder still tells me I'm using a non-debug version of Flash Player.  Do I have to copy the file?  From and to where?  I'm using Chrome - I don't imagine the Windows installer will cater for anything other than IE.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Sharon Hanlon

Yep you are right, no debugger for Chrome. You'll have to use IE or Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to -windowns-

Nice try, but I'll need a better reason than that to switch back.  There's never been a debugger specifically for Chrome - the Netscape one has always worked before.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Sharon Hanlon

hehe, yeah. if you want, you can install a plugin that will run IE in a Chrome tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris,

Could you please let us know the links for latest flash player debug version (11.4.0) for IE 10?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to vikram billa

I believe the links that Chris posted are still valid (digital signature is December 14); meaning they will download the latest available version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Yes they are still valid but the version is 11.3.x, the latest flash builder (4.7) is expecting 11.4.0.

I managed for now by changing properties->Actionscript compailer properties->Use a sepecific version option in flash builder.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to ruben.buniatyan

This sucks, by the way. Not a fan of having IE dictate when flash player updates occur... especially since they are already so woefully behind. It's not really a plugin if the user doesn't have control, in my opinion.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points