Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 hangs in Import Dialogue

Aug 17, 2012 10:05 AM

This has stopped production at our studio, where we are photographing 20-30 seniors a day.

Originally a problem in LR 3.6 x64 (Win 7 home edition, x64). Computer is an HP with a quad core AMD processor and 6GB memory. Our images are stored on a Drobo FS, connected via GigE to our LAN.

Upgraded to LR 4, and it worked for one day of importing. Now LR is hanging on the import dialogue, just like v3.6 did. What seems to be happening is that in the import dialogue, LR is reading the destination folder and it just hangs there. The destination folder contains hundreds of subfolders, each of which contains one senior's images. It does take a while to read all of the subfolders, and this may well be where things are going south.

This is severely impacting our business as our workflow is entirely dependent on Lightroom. Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Mark Levesque

If it worked once, there shouldn't be any reason it shouldn't work again.

I'd suggest starting by recreating the preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Mark Levesque

I have this same issue. Also running Win 7 home edition (6.1) x64

I just wrote an extensive post about all I've done to try and fix this. :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Call_me_frustrated_kat

What I first notice about both your posts is that you are using the Home Edition of Windows 7. Not sure if this is just a coincidece, or if it's related.

Are either of use connected to network drives?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Mark Levesque

The only thing in there that really raises a red flag for me is the importing images that had been edited elsewhere. The fact that they were edited isn't the problem for me, it's that you are importing them from a DVD. Perhaps LR is still looking for a disk in the drive. Try making sure there is a disk with images on it in the drive the next time you try to import and see if that makes a difference.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to Mark Levesque

Has the HP printer got an integral card reader?  Can you disconnect it to see if it helps? 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Mark Levesque

Will it import more than once consecutively to the local machine? Take the Drobo out of the equation and see if it works. Reading back through the responses, I don't see that test being run.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

Additionally, my specific request was to make sure the DVD was IN the drive when you go to import, if that was the last location you had imported from. Definitely don't want to take the disk out if that is where LR is looking.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Mark Levesque

This is exactly what I was suggesting...

So, if you get the import to work when a disk is in the drive, can you import from another location other than the disk drive, specifically, from the hard drive, does this allow importing without a disk in the drive again?

Also, doesn't look like we've looked at a new user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to Mark Levesque

Yes, just as a test, try the new user account. Whether or not it works tells us a bit more about what's going on.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to Brett N

I'm not connected to any networked drives. 

I've been following the discussion here, and like Mark I can have a single import from a DVD, but nothing else.  I've tried disconnecting every external drive and piece of hardware and that doesn't resolve the issue at all.  I've also tried the new user account "fix" (as suggested/required every.single.time. I call or chat with Adobe support on this issue.)

I've even tried importing a single file, into a fresh new catalogue, with wiped out preferences, on an old model camera (Nikon D90) and I STILL have the same issue.  Took 34 minutes for the preview of the one file to pop up on the import screen.  Clicking "import" caused the program to become "unresponsive".

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to Call_me_frustrated_kat

Mentioning here that you've disconnected all external devices. Is the DVD drive in question internal? Have you tried disabling it and seeing how that effects the issue?

If a disk must be in the drive from launch in order to do a single import from any location, including that disk drive, I'm not sure what would cause that. I can see if they last place you imported from was the DVD drive, because that would be the default location it might look again. But if you then import from a different location and ignore the DVD drive, then LR should not even be paying attention to it. Perhaps there is an OS autoplay issue involved here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Mark Levesque

I agree that this is very weird behavior and likely the result of some update, as it used to work. However, if this were the result of an OS update, I think we'd hear a lot more about it. Instead, I think the issue is more local, an update to something you have (and those who also encounter this issue). It could be the drive itself, perhaps it had a driver update (which was automatically updated by the OS). Disabling the drive is just a temporary measure to test the situation, what happens when it's disabled will help us determine the next steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Mark Levesque

I had the same problem.

Sometimes my LR4 becomes extremely slow, unbelievable slow, during import. Even to open the import dialog it took long seconds. And then to browse the several folders where to find the images it was sick!!

I'm working on W7 64bits.

And I found the problem.

That happened when I tried to import from disk - desktop, my documents, whatever.

When importing from my SD and CF cards never happened.

I have a SP (Silicon Power) All in 1 USB 3.0 card reader.

When it is connected to one of my USB 3.0 ports and no card is mounted, it seems that LR4 becomes very busy trying to import from the reader... and finds nothing, of course. If I install a CF card on the reader, even if I'm not going to import from there, everything goes smooth...

So I tried: I disconected the reader and opened the import dialog to import from desktop: everything ok!!!

Problem of the card reader or LR? I can't say...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points