Skip navigation

Why do I get SharedContent plugin error?

Jul 11, 2012 6:23 AM

Latest reply: ezeqpo, Mar 28, 2014 4:42 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to CCNCréteil94

Camille, happy to do this for you. PM me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to CCNCréteil94

CCNCréteil94 wrote:

I have a similar problem : I need to update several indd files made by my graphic designer (but I don't know which version he uses) and I can't open them with my CS4 version,

See http://forums.adobe.com/message/4071273 -- it helps if you can say what version they were saved in.

... as I see you accept to do it for emergencies like mine.

Everyone in this thread has an emergency.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

As with the rest of these posts, I'm in a bind of sorts and it's a good weekend to have one too. I'm running CS4, version 6.0.6 and recieved a file from my graphic designer {not sure what she's running, but it's newer than mine] and I recieved the Shared Content Plug-In absent message. Wondering if you or anyone else would be willing to lend a hand to backsave for me and I'll shower you with good karma.

I have DropBox ready to roll ...

Cheers

cnath

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to cnath

Hi,

I'm in need of some karma. I can try and help.

Gi mi your details.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Pickory

Hello Pickory,

Would you (or anyone else) by any chance want some more karma? I need two CS5.5 files converted to being compatible with my CS4. I also have everything ready in dropbox.

I'd be SUPER grateful!

Arigato~

Aiko

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to Aikitochan

Go on. You will have to pm me an email so I can send them back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to Jack Cane

Same problem here, given a file that another designer made and I have no way of contacting them. Little help here. I'm using CS5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mhwluyjg1uudtr/Pure%20Clean%20Insert%206.15 .11.indd

Much obliged!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to JTDezines

Done, pm me an email address to return the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to JTDezines

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Pickory

Thank You!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Pickory

Same problem- had a predecessor at work leave me his InDesign Files that I need to modify, but cannot contact him anymore.  I have CS5, not sure what he had.  Would someone be willing to take a look at them for me?  He used InDesign for Mac and I have it for PC, so that may be part of the problem.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Jen S Lim

It’s not.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to Jack Cane

Hi,

I was told by the designer that InDesign 5 can open 5.5 but I got the message about the plug-in. I need to read it in CS5.

I created a drop box account so that you could send me the IDML file. I hope you can access it. Thanks.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85478417/PassItOn_Buckslip_rev.indd

Appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to Mebs823

The designer is wrong.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

That's what I thought, but she was determined to be correct. Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to Mebs823

Any chance of converting to IDML? Anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to Mebs823

PM me an email address.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to Pickory

Thanks Pickory. I got it done elsewhere. Thanks for offering. Appreciate it.

Mary Ann

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to Jack Cane

I also have just had the same problem - received the indesign artwork from a client to update and couldn't open the file because it said 'it uses one or more plug-ins which are not available on my system' - never had this problem before? I'm running Indesign 5 version 7.0.4 as have just updated everything through adobe - help!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to amie979

You have received a CS5.5 or CS6 file. Time to upgrade or have the client send you an IDML file. If you have to return an InDesign file I would strongly recommend the upgrade route.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

The missing sharedcontent plun-in issue seems to be ever more popular, but the "more like this" links in the forum Web interface doesn't display any relevant posts. Is there a way to fix this? Is there a way to add a few FAQs and solution links into the boilerplate that's added to email posts? Suggesting a Google search for "InDesign sharedcontent plugin," without quotes, would provide solution links as well as pointing posters to the use of Google searches.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Bob Levine wrote:

You have received a CS5.5 or CS6 file. Time to upgrade or have the client send you an IDML file. If you have to return an InDesign file I would strongly recommend the upgrade route.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

Hi Peter.

I'm not sure how many more threads we really have about this. everyone seems to be piling into this one. For waht it's worth, we DO have a FAQ document at the main forum page that talks about this: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1024

You know what they say, though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. There's no way that anything we do is going to stem the tide of posts about an inability to open files or missing plugin errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi, Peter S.

I looked for "FAQ" in the InDesign forum names, but saw nothing. The document link below goes to a thread about back-saving, but not about missing plug-in messages. "Trending" on the InDesign forum Web page interface doesn't show anthing I can see about this issue, though it's so frequent recently, it's a good candidate for trending. Perhaps the question is asked so many different ways that the trending indexer is stymied.

This is a good opportunity for folks who are buried under the onus of repeatedly answering the repeated question postings to campaign for lots of users to pile on the wishform and request an explicit and useful error message.

Many of know where to request that, but just for those who've forgotten:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?event=processform&name= wishform.

Perhaps a massive write-in campaign would boost the priority of fixing the message in a soon-to-be release.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

Peter Spier wrote:

Hi Peter.

I'm not sure how many more threads we really have about this. everyone seems to be piling into this one. For waht it's worth, we DO have a FAQ document at the main forum page that talks about this: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1024

You know what they say, though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. There's no way that anything we do is going to stem the tide of posts about an inability to open files or missing plugin errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

... request an explicit and useful error message.

Adobe listened! This annoying message is *finally* replaced by a more helpful one, in CS6 and I believe also in CS5.5.

It's remarkable it took them so long -- about 7 versions too late --, but at least this particular thread will hopefully wither and die in, oh, perhaps another decade, until finally *everyone* is working with versions > CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to amie979

and did you get your file sorted out?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

I hadn't tried to open a CS5.5 file in CS5, or a CS6 file in CS5.5, so haven't seen the message. Hmmm... How to test it in InDesign CS6? Open a CS7? Wherefrom?

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

[Jongware] wrote:

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

... request an explicit and useful error message.

Adobe listened! This annoying message is *finally* replaced by a more helpful one, in CS6 and I believe also in CS5.5.

It's remarkable it took them so long -- about 7 versions too late --, but at least this particular thread will hopefully wither and die in, oh, perhaps another decade, until finally *everyone* is working with versions > CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 9:35 PM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

Hello - I was just reading through all of these posts as I also have an .indd file.  I was given this file as a template for a 12-page brochure I have due on Monday.  Now I'm a little panicked as I can't open it.  Are you still converting the files for people or has an alternate solution been found.  I have CS5 and cannont upgrade at this time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gwin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to gwin2003

You could try this.

idmlmystuff@btinternet.com

Best.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to Pickory

Pickory, would you mind telling us who that email belongs to?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Pickory

Thanks. Just like to be sure everyone knows where they are sending stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Pickory

Thank you so much!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to gwin2003

Could I get some conversion help please? I'm getting the plugin error on two indd files that we got form another studio. I'm not sure what version they're on, but we're on 5.

I have dropbox ready to go. I can post the link here or email it. Thx for any help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to ITtate

I'm about done for the day, but if nobody else steps up I'll do it in the morning....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi Peter, hoping you might have time to help me work around an .indd file that was edited by my friend in a newer version of In Design (I don't know which version) and now I can't open it in my CS4 version.  I receive the plug in error message and the file will not open. My friend no longer has Adobe so he can't export it for me.

I've created a Drop Box account and uploaded the file as you requested in other posts. I hope I did this correctly.  Thanks so much for you help.

Sita

[Link removed by forum host]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to SSoesman

I've sent you a private message with a link to your converted file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Jack Cane

I have CS5 at home and at work. I have a PC at home and a Mac at work. When trying to open a file I made at home at work, I get the shared content plugin error. My husband has 5.5 on his home computer and I also made a document there that is giving me the same problem when I try to open it at work. I tried saving it as an InDesign Template, but it gave me the plugin error when I tried it on my computer at home and the same thing at work. I tried downloading the latest patch things, but that didn't help on either my home or work computers.

Is there any way I can fix it from work (where I am now)? I would try emailing it to my husband to mess with at home, but our internet is down and the file is probably too big to send anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to angela814

Are you sure you also have CS5 on your computer at home? It sure sounds like both you and your husband have CS5.5. The only way to move a file backward is to export from the newer version. Is the internet down at home or at work? If you have a connection at work I can send you an upload link and I'll convert the file for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I definitely have CS5, but the problem is solved now. I had my husband export the file as an IDML and that worked perfectly. Thanks though!

Angela Decker

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi, I've got an Indesign 5.5 file I can't open... will download trial version of Indesign 6 for the future, meanwhile it will take 3 hours... please could you save down the file to V5 for me? It's for a new client and they want it yesterday, and I don't want to tell them I have a problem opening it... I don't have a dropbox but can set one up or email the Indesign file?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points