Skip navigation
grafikwienholt™
Currently Being Moderated

timecode format after importing excel-files

Aug 28, 2012 5:42 AM

I've got a tricky question, but maybe someone is master of tables and knows how to deal with this:

i'm workin on a tram schedule and have got to import lots of ecel tables. the format of the timecode, which is correctly included in

excel has to be HH:MM. By importing the files indesign kills the forestanding 0 for all single-digit timecodes. so it transforms 07:40 to 7:40,

which i can't use. so my question: is there any way to import the timecodes in the right format or otherwise any way to add the missing 0

afterwards for round about 2000 cells? hope anybody has an idea.

best regards – tobias

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------

i got:

got.png

i need:

need.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to grafikwienholt™

I would think the easiest way would be to change them to actual text in Excel before importing.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to grafikwienholt™

That’s what I mean. Unfortunately, as you’ve seen, ID has a habit of not reading the format properly when there are leading zeros involved.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to grafikwienholt™

Well, maybe you should use Find/Change to add the leading zeros back...

I think the following GREP might do it:

Find ^\d:

Change to 0$0

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to grafikwienholt™

^ is the position marker for the start of a paragraph, \d means any digit, and the : is just a colon. The expression means find any single digit followed by a colon when they are the first thing in a paragraph.

Perhaps there's a tab in ther for alignment? Or maybe your search scope is incorrect, or maybe, like I often do, you forgot to change from the text tab to the GREP tab and you're seraching for a literal ^\d: string, which really doesn't appear anywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to grafikwienholt™

I hate to tell you how many times I've struggled with a GREP expression returning no matches, sometimes spending considerable time rewriting and adding text I KNOW matches, only to discover I'm on the plain text search tab.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points