Skip navigation
Lenaped
Currently Being Moderated

Sound and Movieclips

Aug 28, 2012 11:53 AM

Hi-

I am having problems with sound in my Flash timeline. On my main timeline, I have seven frames that each contain a movieclip with nested animation. I have added mp3s onto the timelines of each of those animations. The problem is that the sound seems to make my movieclips play at inconsistent speeds, often, way too fast. Has anyone run into this problem and know how to fix it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Lenaped

What is your frame rate?

If you select the layer your sound is in and check the properties panel is Sync set to Event or Stream?

If you remove the audio from the timeline does it play better? Does the audio itself studder or artifact while playing? Do you have other audio files you can import and try to see if you get the same results?

I've never had audio slow down an animation. The opposite is usually the case. The animation is extremely complex and the computer cannot keep up so the animation can skip and bog trying to keep frame rate.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to Lenaped

Perhaps if you use any TLF text. What that dialog is telling you is that your SWF does not merge full TLF functionality into itself. It places a file, as it shows, textLayout_1.0.0.595.swz in the same path as where you publish and you'd need to upload that to your web server. It will be loaded by your SWF when it needs it.

To get rid of the dialog but slightly increase the file size of your SWF you can do this:

File->Publish Settings->Flash (.swf)

Inside here there are 2 drop-downs at the top. Next to the Script: ActionScript 3.0 dialog there is a wrench icon. Click that.

as3settings.jpg

Now you want to select textLayout.swc in the Library path tab. Click the button above it. Uncheck to use the default shared library linkage. Change the Link Type drop-down to "Merged into code".

as3settings2.jpg

Now you won't see the error any longer but your SWF will get slightly larger (22kb?).

Do you have any example SWFs I can test to verify it speeds up or slows down? You can private message me if you don't want to link them here. I see no reason why a mp3 would slow down your animation but I don't know the animations complexity.

I'm on a dual quad xeon machine with 32gb ram. If you're on a laptop with built in (intel HD2-4 series, etc) graphics then it requires system resources to accelerate. Also what hardware acceleration setting are you using? Are you selecting None, Direct or GPU?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to sinious

Like Sinious mentioned earlier, Frame Rates affect performance of your animation. When setting Frame Rates, its best to start from values equal to that of the number of frames you have created. And increase the value in steps based on the performance of your animation, repeatedly. See this article for more information: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/learning_guide/animation/part02.html

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to Lenaped

Timeline playback takes on the heavy burdeon of essentially wrapping the audio in a MovieClip (very heavy object) before it plays. ActionScript is almost always faster. However I can definitely tell you I've used audio in layers tens of thousands of times over the last decade and I never had this issue.

Either way, glad you found something that worked for you!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points