Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adding multiple gradients with transparency to one object

Aug 28, 2012 4:40 PM

Tags: #cs5 #objects #gradients #multiple_gradients

Just as it states, how do I add 2, 3, even four gradients to one object. Each gradient will have some level of transparency to it.

I need it to work similiar to: masking a layer in photoshop, and then using gradients to "chip away" pieces of the layer. I suppose I could just use opacity mask in AI, but I didnt think of that until now. Anywho now I'm curious, can you do this with multiple gradients in AI?

I tried doing the basic "add fill" option then setting my gradients, but it doesnt preserve the transparency correctly.

Thankyou

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to mhossey

When I did it it seemed to work. You can set the transparency of each fill and the angle of the gradient as well as here

Screen shot 2012-08-28 at 5.02.36 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to mhossey

I'd be far more inclined to simply use an opacity mask rahter than multiple gradients.

Snap_001.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to mhossey

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to mhossey

Set the text as pointType.

Scale it horizontally 200%.

Add the radial grad.

Scale it horizontally 50%. (Disproportionally scales the grad, making it elliptical. Not really necessary in versions later than CS3; you can use the on-object grad handles to do much the same.)

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to mhossey

I think this is simpler han you think

set five stop in the gradient panel set all to black or wat ever color you need.

the position them as in the screenshot the center is 100% the extremes are zero and the two inbetween are set at 10%, if you don't need 100% in the center jus lower the percentage to say 75%

Screen Shot 2012-08-28 at 11.16.46 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

As you can see I applied the grsdient to all the text strings at once I can then lower the opcaity on each text string individually if I want thse to fade as well.

Screen Shot 2012-08-28 at 11.23.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-28 at 11.24.21 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to mhossey

You're welcome!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to mhossey

mhossey wrote:

...I was hoping for something I could manage the whole block of text with,...

Instead to the Type you can apply the gradient to the layer. Then anything you drop in that layer will be shaded like that as a whole.

The image below shows two fills with linear gradient applied  to the layer in screen blending mode. One gradient is vertical and the other is horizontal. You can also apply any number of gradient fills with any angle to achieve any fading shape.

Untitled-2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to mhossey

...and JET I didnt think to do each text strand seperately...

The sample I showed is one PointType textFrame object with one Radial Grad fill. It is not individual objects per line.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to mhossey

In my previous example the screen blending mode requires the object to fade to white or a lighter color. If you want transparent fading instead, you have to make Opacity Mask which cannot be applied to a layer but still to your text with any other number of objects as a whole. Your masking object as the layer in my previous example can be with any number of gradient fills with any angle to achieve any fading shape, but with the mask I made the fills with Multiply blending mode.

Untitled-2.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points