Skip navigation
kbtchopper
Currently Being Moderated

IF YOU CAN DO NO GOOD, AT LEAST DO NO HARM

Aug 27, 2012 6:14 PM

Tags: #update_problem

I just ran the update you sent me (to acrobat, i think) and beside installing google chrome and other stuff i don't want, now utube full screen doesn't work.  How do i get utube back and get rid of everything that has anything to do with adobe???

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to kbtchopper

Please state what is your current system?  To uninstall anything from the system is dependent on your system.  Windows is pretty easy and that is what I use.  If you have Apple Macs then somebody else can help you.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to kbtchopper

Adobe doesn't install google chrome or anything similar with an update to Acrobat or Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

I agree. Sounds like you got hacked!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

Bill@VT wrote:

I agree. Sounds like you got hacked!

Nothing to do with being hacked.  Adobe does install third party products if you are not careful.

If you are using IE9 then you get this:

<http://tinyurl.com/9uhz8rs>

If you were using FF  then you get this:

<http://tinyurl.com/9gjbxvj>

So when Michael says: "Adobe doesn't install Google chrome or anything similar with an update" isn't quite correct.

When helping Adobe customers we should give them the full facts whenever possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to kbtchopper

Adobe does not install any other third party software with UPDATES to Acrobat and Reader.

You only get an option to install third party software when you download Reader (Full program not update)  or Flash Player from Adobe website and that option can also be unchecked.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Hitender Prakash

HitenderPrakash wrote:

that option can also be unchecked.

Better still, Adobe can make that option a default so that those users who wants these wonderful third-party crapware can check the box and install them.  Adobe should not check the box for them by default.  this will protect people like the OP who click the buttons without looking or reading properly because they are used to clicking on them them on other websites.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to my-adobe-reg

I agree. When I want some other software, I will download and install it, at my leisure.

I resent it, when any program tries to do that "for" me. Default should be OFF, or NO, and then I can decide whether to get that program, browser bar, or whatever.

I feel the same way with changing File Associations. Turn that to OFF, and then let me choose the File Types, that I wish to associate with that program. Apple's QT Player updates was one of the absolute worst. It would automatically grab every File Association imaginable, though it could not Open most. Then, one had to manually go in, and change each File Association, if one could remember them all, and their previously specified program. That has finally changed, and for the better.

I would urge Adobe to not take the $'s, and to NOT include anything extra, except as a default of NO, with a user's choice to check, if desired.

Good call,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Twice in the past two days, Adobe has installed crapware without warning or an option to not do so.  The first time Adobe installed crapware "Security" software from McAfee.  Unfortunately, that created so many problems with already installed Internet security software that I had to reinstall Windows.

Now with my new Windows load I went to install Adobe Reader.  Here we go again, this time installing Chrome without asking or giving an option to not do so.

With experiences like this, I won't be installing anything from Adobe that I don't absolutely have to.  I certainly won't be purchasing software from a company that treats me so badly.  Good job, Adobe.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points