• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bundling Google Chrome and Toolbar???

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone noticed that the latest Flash update automatically installs Google Toolbar and Google Chrome? What a horrible business decision Adobe. Force installing software like you are Napster. I would fire the product manager that made that decision. As a CTO I will be informing my IT staff to set Flash to ignore updates from this point forward. QA staff cannot have additional items installed that are not part of the base browser installation. Ridiculous that Adobe snuck this crap in. All I can hope now is to find something that challenges Photoshop so I can move my design team away from Adobe software as well. Smart move trying to make pennies off of your high dollar customers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 105 Replies 105
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What update?  Was it a background update, or was there any user intervention involved?

I have definitely not seen any bundled installs on any of my computers.

[topic moved to Flash Player forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What software are you using to provent these notices and updates. These updates do not allow to view unless I update adobe. Even at this point I am forced to install parts of google into my yahoo. THIS IS CRAP!

Lew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback and I understand your concern.  For regularly scheduled Flash Player releases, such as our 11.4 release, users are notified of new features included in the release and may opt to download the latest player via http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  This workflow allows users to optionally download software from select Adobe partners along with Flash Player.  Adobe offsets the ongoing development costs of Flash Player, which is made available for free, by offering users these options.  To protect users from immediate, zero-day vulnerabilities, Adobe will continue to provide security updates to those who have opted into our automatic update service.

I'd like to suggest two alternatives in your case.  First, after the download page appears, if you want to pass on the optional software, simply uncheck the checkbox before clicking the download button.

2012-08-23_12-06-57.png

Second, because you are in an enterprise environment, you might want to investigate our redistribution agreement (http://www.adobe.com/products/players/flash-player-distribution.html).  With this, you can roll out Flash Player releases using standard deployment methods and even implement your own internal auto update server (http://blogs.adobe.com/spohl/2012/04/24/it-admin-deploying-flash-player-via-background-updater/)

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebooted and it says there's a flash update. Do you want to install (y/n). I say yes and after installation Chrome and Google toolbar was installed and my default browser was changed to Google Crome.

I don't think this is legal in the US without consent. What's going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed that I could not open any hyperlinks anymore in Outlook after this supposedly flash only update.

The fix is in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049

I had to go to registry and change GoogleChrome string value in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html to htmlfile.

After that it worked again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was absolutely no option to chose what was being installed.  Right away I knew something was wrong because it showed that it was downloading the Google Toolbar and Google Chrome.  I thought maybe it would ask me after it finished downloading.  Nope.  It just went ahead and installed them both without asking me if I wanted them.  If I wanted them installed, I would have done it by now.  I hope this doesn't happen at work.  I guess our IT department is going to be busy sending out nasty-grams to everyone in our company shortly.  Thank you Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very interested in reproducing this issue.  If anyone is willing to do a desktop sharing session with me, I can help revert their Flash Player and trigger the update dialog again.  Feel free to contact me directly at ccampbel@adobe.com and we'll set something up.

What OS and browsers are you using?  Does anyone recall what their previous version of Flash Player was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how would I know that some other underhanded move would not be made?? I am a little leary of Adobe after this.  I called Adobe support right after this happened and some foreign person told me I would have to get a computer tech to fix it for 39 dollars.  Then told me to have a nice day.  I haven't had a nice day since Adobe messed up my computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. This is a new company Dell notebook that I got 2 months ago that came preinstalled with Flash from IT department. It's first time I think I see Flash update dialog.

The flash version is now 11.4.402.265 after the update. When I rebooted I got a Adobe flash dialog saying new update available. I clicked yes and after that it didn't ask me anything else and it installed Chrome browser and Google toolbar and changed default Web program to Chrome. I only noticed this after several programs broke that depended on IE so this was a bad experience. I had to fix registry and reset IE settings to make it work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, using the excuse that you are doing this to offset cost? What is

the cost of companies avoiding Adobe services because we cannot trust what

you are going to install on updates that may or may not violate our

internal IT policies? As a technology executive I find it unacceptable. I

have already instructed my staff to turn off all Adobe updates and remove

the update services. I hope Google is paying you more than the CS Design

Suite and your Omniture sales because that is what you are risking. Can I

trust to install your analytics code? What will you load onto my customer's

computers? This is about trust and when you start putting a dollar amount

on trust your business is in trouble. The last think I am going to do is

share my desktop with you...of all things to ask. You violate my trust then

you want access to my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For regularly scheduled Flash Player releases, such as our 11.4 release, users are notified of new features included in the release and may opt to download the latest player via http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.

This has nothing to do with the automatic Adobe Flash security update that simply intalls Google Toolbar and Google Chrome along with an ADOBE SECURITY UPDATE !!

Note: ADOBE AUTOMATIC SECURITY UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS GOOGLE TOOLBAR AND GOOGLE CHROME.

Is there something not understood, here??? It seems very simple.

Please answer the question on topic, Chris.

This workflow allows users to optionally download software from select Adobe partners along with Flash Player

No, there are no options.

ADOBE AUTOMATIC SECURITY UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS GOOGLE TOOLBAR AND GOOGLE CHROME.

It is not possible to prevent this, as there are no options.

... something not understood, here?

Answer the question, please, Chris.

Adobe offsets the ongoing development costs of Flash Player, which is made available for free, by offering users these options

ADOBE AUTOMATIC SECURITY UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS GOOGLE TOOLBAR AND GOOGLE CHROME.

Answer the question, Chris.

Adobe offsets the ongoing development costs of Flash Player, which is made available for free, by offering users these options.

Answer the question, please, Chris.

Yours, Proudly Intelligent and Insusceptible to Double-Speak, which is Simply Unacceptable,

- Me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@raskenderian -

Before downloading the 11.4 update, you should have been forwarded to a page similiar to this:

2012-08-23_12-06-57.png

Please note the highlighted section with the checkbox.  Unchecking this checkbox is your opportunity to decline the optional third party software.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not forwarded to that page. I rebooted and then it says flash update available.

There were no options other than install update now. Clicked on update and it installed everything.

Why would an updater program go to an additional web site just for an update only? This is not a new install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be the case with a standard download, but the automatic updates do

not provide you with any options. The installations simply occur without

the ability to make a choice. IT staff everywhere turn off the automatic

updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@luc4800 & @chieftech71 - This is exactly the scenario I'd like to see reproduced.  I've tried numerous times on multiple machines but each time I'm forwarded to a page similar to the one I referenced in the screenshot.  If you'd be willing to reproduce this with me, I'd be happy to setup the desktop sharing session and put your system into the state where it thinks it needs to update to 11.4 again.  Just shoot an email to ccampbel@adobe.com.

Just to be clear, with either a new install or a major update (like 11.4), you should see a webpage similar to the one I posted above.  If you do not, and you get a third party install automatically added, I want to know about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent email on 8/29 to you. I can't do remote desktop but I can try to see if I can repro again. I don't know which version was installed prior. Are older versions still available for download?

Only at reboot did I get the dialog saying new update available for flash just like Adobe Reader. It definitely didn't go to browser (which is strange to switch from an windows app to a web site?). Not sure how that's supposed to work.

But even if it's major update why would I have to explicitly opt out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried installing v9. and v10 and neither triggered an update at reboot so not sure how to force it to update. However I'm certain I had V11 since youtube doesn't work with older versions than V11. So this was definitely not a major update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before downloading the 11.4 update, you should have been forwarded to a page similiar to this:

Chris:

Once more...

Adobe automatic security update automatically installs Google toolbars and Google Chrome.

We are not idiots, who all somehow miss a page full of options, so read the above sentence again. Have I written it enough?

Is there something not understood about this?

Per your other post:

Adobe can use my desktop to troubleshoot their problems for a fee of  $2,500/hour.

How dare you really expect us to spend our valuable time helping - FOR FREE - a company that splinters off as many products as possible and then charges the maximum amount for them they think they can get away with? A company that utilizes underhanded means to install unwanted junk on people's computers

However, the last time the automatic security update popped up, I was redirected to a page which allowed me to opt-out of Adobe's installation package. That for a security update? What about people who don't know anything about all this stuff? They would not know enough to un-ckeck the boxes, and because of Adobe's "SECURITY UPDATE" they would now have Google Chrome as their browser ....

SURPRISE !!!!!!

with Google Toolbars cluttering up their browser...

SURPRISE !!!!!!

What about the people who aren't computer savvy, Chris? Do they get Google Chrome as their browser, now? What about people like my mother, who's 70 years old and doesn't have any clue about all this stuff like "opting-out"? She doesn't know what's going on ... it's a "SECURITY UPDATE", and that's all she knows. Will she be calling me because suddenly her browser isn't working right and everything looks all different?

Am I going to have to drive to her home and undo all this junk Adobe saw fit to do to my mother's computer?

wtf??? who tf do you think you are? I promise Adobe a class-action suit if you touch my mother's computer.

I allow Adobe enough rope to hang itself.

- Me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of weeks ago the Flash update asked if updates should be auto-installed. We advised our users to click yes. Now that auto-install is set on the auto-update downloads and installs the Flash update and Google stuff without an opt-out opportunity.

If you go to the Adobe web site you are able to opt-out of the Google stuff before you click on the Download button. Save the Google-less download file, install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbd_chrd_dn_aih.exe, to a network share and use this to update your clients. This install will prompt you for update options (Auto, Notify, Never) - so you can NOT pick Auto. Fortunately the update installs over the old version, so that saves a step. Note that there is a Flash widget in Control Panel - the Advanced tab allows you to set the Update policy as you like.

Also note that when you uninstall Google Chrome you will have problems with hyperlinks in Outlook (at minimum). Here is a MS link to fix this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049. The Microsoft Fix it 50388 registry hack fixed this (we also saved this to a network share).

More work we really didn't need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I had a prompt for an update on a computer at a volunteer admin office this afternoon and definitely saw no screen like you posted that allows for the choice to opt-out of the Google Chrome product.  I didn't realize the browser was going to be installed until I saw a progress bar for Chrome and as an emergency response I just shut down the unit through the power switch.  (Yes, I know that's not recommended.)

After the restart I went digging for any sign of that Google Chrome product on the machine and I think I averted the installation.  At that time I explained to the office manager what happened and we set that machine aside until I had time to do some checking here at Adobe, and now I'm back at my own work station to find out what the heck is going on.

The two machines I've got here are already updated and I don't recall such a problem when these two machines were updated as we are seeing posted about here, or as I experienced just a few hours ago, so I am a bit perplexed.  But it sure did happen.

I came to this Adobe site to see if anyone had experienced the same thing and am not quite sure, yet, if I can be of any help to the Adobe employees to try and figure out what is going wrong.  I do have a machine here that I'm rather sure hasn't the latest Adobe Flash Player update and I could see what happens with that one.

I can go back tomorrow and check the machines at the volunteer admin office, but the best I can do would be screen shots.  I'm sure we aren't going to be able to get permission for a desktop sharing session.

I sure do hope you are being straight with us, Chris, about this not being intentional at your company's end.  I want to believe that. I probably do believe that, but it seems as of late there has been a lot of such behaviour in other companies and it's getting harder and harder to trust people/companies.

Long post -- sorry.

Message was edited by: GeoMG

Message was edited by: GeoMG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I continue to do my homework, Chris, I would like to ask some questions, please.

I would like to confirm that right after seeing the auto-update notification and clicking "INSTALL" we should then be directed to that Google Chrome Choice page, yes?

In other words, that Google Chrome Choice page is number 2 before the "File Download - Security Warning" correct?

Actually, I have been trying to find a page on your site that outlines each step along the way when we use that "auto-update notification" system.

And just so there is no misunderstanding I will post a link to an image of the update notification window.  Unfortunately, I was not able to find the image on your company's site, so I have to use Microsoft's site for an image.  Best image on that page is the second one down near the bottom.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/is-adobe-flash-player-po...

Another question I have is that the only page I could find showing that Google Chrome Choice page is here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.ht...

Your screen shot, Chris, seems different.  What's that yellow bar thingy? 

And if that is correct and the one shown on that page for which I gave the link above (v11.3) is correct, it seems those are opt-in boxes. 

How could there be any auto install of Google Chrome or the Google toolbar if we have to check the box to opt-in?  Is that box already checked and we have to uncheck it?

My confusion on that point is why I am now referring to that as the Google Chrome Choice page.

Anyway, I would appreciate your attention to this thread, Chris, as I'm sure many others also would.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just remembered the MortenS. post above where it's written "prechecked" and I see in your screen shot, Chris, in that yellow bar thingy it seems to be "prechecked" BUT on that page where it is showing what was the view for v11.3 the box is UNCHECKED!

Yes, I mean upper-case lettering!!

In version 11.3 the box is unchecked and in version 11.4 the box is checked.  Come on, man, that ain't col.  No way in heck that is cool.

Are we to think -- some will -- that not enough people went for the Google Chrome and Google toolbar so Mr. Page threw a fit and ordered you Adobe folks to reset the default?

Wait, does Google own Adobe now?

My homework was going to stay with the technical on this project, but that unchecked to prechecked smell of rotten fish and that pisses me off.

Yes, it's Adobe's right to try and shove things down our throats, but it's OUR right to complain when that happens, so don't anyone be feeding me bovine excrement about my negative post here.  last I knew that U.S. of A. where Adobe prospers is still a free-speech place.

UNCHECKED to PRECHECKED!!!  Just great.

And don't no folks be feeding me some line about the product is free so I have no right to complain.  That is a bogus argument.  The price for the product is zero dollars/pounds/euros.  The company set the price at zero for a reason.  We have the same right to complain as those that paid 10 or 20 or 200 dollars/pounds/euros.

Anyway, unchecked to prechecked smell bad.  Really bad.

And just in case -- if the image on this page is wrong

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.ht...

and it is checked by default then that's probably worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, my mistake.  I missed the "Please note the highlighted section ..." in your post up there, Chris.  So I have the answer as to what that yellow thingy is. 

That's a pretty loud highlight.  Sure you couldn't tone that down a notch or two.  Just a thought.

Anyway, I missed that during my first read of the thread.  Sorry about that.

But there are other questions I'd like to have you think about, please.  I'm particularly interested to know at what point before I have to hit a power switch I might get a clue I missed the chance to opt out of the Google installations of the browser and the toolbar?

Clearly some folks aren't seeing that Google Choice Page/Window and that's where everything gets all messed up.  You may not be able to recreate the problem, but I know for a fact it can happen.  And we seem to have a few other folks that didn't get that Google Choice Page/Window.

I know tech folks like to think customers are blind and miss things, but because I was on a machine using a language other than English I was paying much more attention than maybe I would otherwise have been.

In addition, that page will just stay there until the "Download now" button is clicked, so many will not miss that Google Choice Page/Window.

I am just hoping this company, Adobe Systems, takes this problem seriously and doesn't just blow this off as a bunch of blind users that didn't know what they were doing or some excuse like that.  Google has a number of stealth install tricks in all sorts of products, so anyone who has been paying attention is well aware of keeping a sharp eye out for this nasty bit of attempt at money-making by Google that is becoming way too common around the Net.  Sad that Google can push you folks around, too.  "You folks" being Adobe.

By the way, Chris, does the "Staff" listed with your User ID mean you are an employee?  I can't seem to find that bit of information around the site, although I have probably missed it.  There are cases where "Staff" only means a person is being paid to work the forum but are not actually an employee -- like an online type part-timer, or something.  Just like to be assured we're dealing with an employee here, that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'll make a video tomorrow that details how this *should* be working.  I'll post back once it's uploaded and would appreciate your feedback.  I'll also make sure that our management team is aware of this post.

I understand that some of you are not being presented with the initial screen that allows you to opt out and I've shared that with the team that runs the server side of the install.  I take this very seriously and have tried thousands of times to reproduce this issue (ie. the lack of the opt out page) but neither I nor anyone on the team has been able to get this to occur.  Regardless, we know this is important and we'll continue working on it until we figure out what is going on.  If you think you can reproduce this, I'd love to see video or a screenshot of the dialog/message that prompts you to update.  Your browser history at this time would also be helpful.  This data should give us clues to what is happening.

@GoeMG - I'm a member of the runtime engineering team, and an Adobe employee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines