We have done this before with no dramas but today on updating our contacts in mass (5975) it's just not working.
It keeps coming up saying "
But this is the username they already have. (They have the same email too). We have only updated other fields. So I'm 100% confident our data is fine. Username is a mandatory field too so can't be left blank.
We have followed the instructions BC has:
Mandatory Fields that must be imported to avoid wiping out an existing value:
Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?
Adding on to the above - I just tried deleting the username column as a test on some lines as the problem lies with the username coloumn but it deletes the username that's already on the card so wont work.
Feel like i'm talking to myself... but if anyone else has this issue, the only way to fix it is upload the contacts with no username then reupload with with a username. It's riskier but will work.
I've lodged a bug request too.
I got some long winded reply from BC that I wasn't confident doing (see italics below)
Haven't needed to upload again since but will in the next month - so hopefully will be right by then.
The only way I got it was upload with no username then reload with username. It did work but I hated doing it as a bit risky. But it did work if you are desperate.
What I've mentioned in my message when I first contacted you was to use an ID for each customer and then change what fields you need to change because otherwise the import will fail with the same error you saw.
So this time I did a short recording showing that the import / update process functions correctly and that you need to use the ID's in order to have a successful import / update process.
You can see the recording here: http://screencasteu.worldsecuresystems.com/Cristi/2012-08-08_1318.swf
(without the 1 in the ID field for the customer it will return the same error)
** ie create ID's but when I exported the records there were NO Id's so if i created some I was worried it would relabel all the cards I had = a year worth of work data could be compromised **
Thanks for your reply, we are using the ID field, this isn't the problem though. It's the dreaded username bug ( Reported Bug # 3313655 ).
I like your creative idea of uploading without usernames and then again with usernames but these are drastic measures and I'm hoping BC will fix the problem before I have to use your method, but if we get desperate we might have to resort to this.
Hi Liam, yes there were duplicates, support kindly removed them and were able to upload successfully, however when I tried with the same file but also adding to the Secure Zone it failed at the same point, I checked the import and the system and there are no duplicates of this username. The plot thickens!
Europe, Middle East and Africa