Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Aligning and Distributing objects in InDesign

Aug 27, 2012 12:05 AM

Tags: #cs4 #indesign #distributing #aligning

Hi,

I am using InDesign CS4. But I am having a trouble aligning objects. I know that in illustrator it is possible to align objects to a main object. For example, lets say I have several same square shapes on my page. I can make any one of the squares as the main object for others to get aligned or distributed to.

I wanted to do the same thing in InDesign but was never able to do that. I wonder if it is even possible to do that. InDesign doesn't seem to have that option. But it was such a handy tool.

Can you help me with the trick?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2012 3:37 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

This feature is added to CS6 I believe.

But for prior versions, you can lock one object and then Aligh the objects to the locked object.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1309259&seqNum=17

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

If you can't select the Object after locking it - there might be an option in the Peferences to allow selection of locked objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

That was added in CS5, I believe. In CS4 locking the key object would be the way to go.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

What, exactly are you trying to do? Alignment should work with a locked object, but make sure you are set to align to selection, rather than to page or margins. Distributing objects around a locked object, however, is problematic, especially if you are trying to use a fixed space.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

I think distribute might work if the locked object is on one end (but then you wouldn't need to lock it, would you?), but not if you use spacing. I have some memory of filing a bug on this and it got deferred, so you may be essentially out of luck.

My suggestion for a workaround would be to set some guides so you can reposition, unlock the object, do your distribution, group, and move the group.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 4:09 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

Well, the obvious response is it might be time to look at an upgrade. CS4 is getting long in the tooth and CS6 does what you want, and a few more new features, too. Your productivity improvements might pay for the cost of the upgrade, and now is about as good a time to do it as you'll find. When the next version is released you probably won't be eligible for upgrade pricing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points