Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can DPS Content Viewer view PDFs as well as FOLIOS?

Aug 28, 2012 10:29 AM

Can't find the question I previously asked....

I'm creating an App with Adobe DPS, it's a bookstore. The interface will be done with the storefront - and I want to have the ability for people to browse multiple categories for the books, just like Amazon and all of the online bookstores do.

Here is what I want the App to do:

I want the App to be a bookstore where people can go into different categories, download and purhase digital versions of books. Can the DPS App viewer be used to view PDFs as well as FOLIO files? Because we're going to have potentially hundreds if not thousands of books come to us - and I want to be able to give publishers the option of using PDFs as well as FOLIO files.

Second question is - when people are viewing the App, can they go into different categories, browse and download FOLIO files by categories? I don't care about how they're categorized in the library, I just want them categorized in the storefront. If so, how do I go about doing this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to FocusGroup

The DPS viewers cannot display PDF files directly. You would need to convert those PDFs into folio files. If you want to categroize them you'll either have to use our new filters feature or build a custom storefront.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Hi,

really you can see PDF directly, but is possible create a link to PDF files. Make a zip file of them and create a HTMLResources.zip

See more information im DPS tips app - Advanced Overlays folio

_Felipe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Felipe - dualpixel

I don't believe the htmlresources.zip approach would work in this case, as it requires the PDFs to be bundled into the application. That's probably not reasonable if you plan on having 1000s of titles

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to FocusGroup

Wouldn't a website work better where you could have a storefront with categories and people could purchase the PDFs?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:55 AM   in reply to FocusGroup

Adobe's digital publishing suite is not the only software out there. So do a web search. I know of at least one where you make a PDF out of your InDesign publication and it becames an iPad app. Are you a book store since you are having publishers uploading their books to you?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to FocusGroup

Take a look at this article on our DevNet: PDF to InDesign

The linked tutorial will show you how to use an InDesign script to place PDFs and build out a set of InDesign files that can be imported into Folio Builder panel for publishing. There are a number of large publishers that have used this script to automate the publication of replica content.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to FocusGroup

Did you see the post from Ivan? The article on devnet shows you how to automate converting PDF files to Folios, which appears to be exactly what you want.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to FocusGroup

I hope the script to place the PDFs into InDesign works for you. I am surprised you bought something before knowing if if the software was the best solution. But maybe your company is prohibited from using anything non-Adobe. Anyways, placing the PDFs into InDesign is the solution here.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to FocusGroup

The Saints has released its PDFtoTablet service for Adobe DPS users. The PDF is converted into a Folio file and automatically uploaded into the DPS account. It contains the following features:

• Pinch and zoom
    • Preview page
    • Automatic spread (portrait as 1 page, landscape 2 pages)
    • Table of contents
    • Stitch function
    • page by page rendering (so it will show your magazine extremely fast)
    • multiple renditions
    • Publish whenever you want

Send an e-mail for more information to tristan@the-saints.nl and we will provide you with pricing details and a test account.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points