Skip navigation
lmsamaze19
Currently Being Moderated

CS2 Mac activating problem

Aug 17, 2012 7:48 AM

I use a Mac G4 OS Leopard. My hard disk died on me, and my applications were on that disk. I can't de-activate the CS on that HD. I have two other HDs on the computer, so I installed the CS on one of the extra HD but the problem is that I can't activate the CS on the extra HD. It says the serial and name don`t match. I have had my HD die on me one other time and I was able to install CS2 in a new HD and activate it, but I'm unable to activate it this time. The HD that died prompted me that the disk is not repairable so quickly save the date you need to save. I saved what I needed to, but that's all. I'm not sure I should try to re-format the HD that died and install the CS on that HD, because if it doesn't work I will have wasted a day on a useless HD. I hope someone out there can HELP.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

Can you please provide the exact error message you receive when you try to install and use the software on the new hard drive?  Are you receiving this error when trying to open the software or when installing?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to lmsamaze19

You can check the validity of the serial number yourself by registering your software on http://www.adobe.com/.  If it is registered or registers correctly this can help you determine the validity of the serial number.

If it is valid then you may have permssion issue.  What version of Mac OS 10.5 are you using?  It maybe permission related if the serial number is registered or registers successfully.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to lmsamaze19

I would still be curious to discover if you can register the serial number or not?  Does it register successfully?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

I am unsure Laily but if you are unable to register the serial number then I would agree that it is invalid as well.  Did you install using the disc previously or is it possible you had been provided a different installer when you initially installed it?  Either way though if you are unable to register under that serial number then you would not be able to install with that serial number either.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

No the serial number for education versions should still be able to be registered.  Can you please private message me with the serial number and I will verify that you have identified the correct number and the serial number is invalid.

If it is invalid though I am unsure what options are available as are current versions of our software require an Intel processor.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

I have removed your serial number as it is not good to share it publicly however I have send the PM to Jeff with your serial number.

he will definitely look into this and will help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Imsamaze19 Manish sent me over the serial number.  It does appear your CS2 serial number is valid.  If this is the case then you are likely looking at a permission issue which is affecting your ability to install.  It has been a long time since I have dealt with Creative Suite 2.  If you go to Library/Application Support/Adobe do you see an Adobe PCD and caps folder?  Also do you have any other Adobe software installed on this computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

Imsamaze19 I am sorry if you were using Creative Suite 3 or later this is where the licensing information, hence your permission issue, would be located.  I would advise to either try a newly created Administrator account or possibly logging in as Root.  Please let me know if you need additional details on how to accomplish these steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

You may also want to try deleting /Library/Preferences/Adobe Systems/Product_Licenses_120/ if you are able to locate that folder.  I found a very old document which referenced where the licensing information was stored for Creative Suite 2.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to lmsamaze19

These links should help:

Install or run Adobe applications in new user account | Mac OS X - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/install-or-run-applications- new.html

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

Imsamaze19 are you running the operating system off of this third hard drive as well?  Your exact setup is not clear to me.  It appears you have been booting your OS and applications from several different external drives?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

And when you try to install CS2 on the drive which was reformated it gives you the invalid serial number error correct?  You have also tried logging in as root and the new user account?  Finally after you formated the drive what process did you use to restore your data?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to lmsamaze19

I am sorry Imsamaze19 but your setup is very confusing.  I also am unable to refer you to our support team to work with them directly due to the age of your product.

Since you appear to have multiple hard drives, and the ability to store your files on all of these hard drives, then I would recommend we simplfy matters.  If you are facing issues with the serial number on one of your hard drive then please recover any files you need, format the hard drive, install your preferred operating system, and then reinstall CS2.  If you continue to face issues we can then focus on that one particular drive.

Jumping from one hard drive to another is really making this thread very difficult to follow and is adding a lot to the complexity of trying to help you.  I do want to help you but we need to simplify matters a bit to make it easier for both of us.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points