Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Licensing font in iPhone App?

Nov 8, 2010 10:11 AM

Hello,

as you can read in the title I am currently developing an iPhone App. I purchased the Adobe CS5 Design Premium and already used it to create graphics.

My question is if I can use Myriad Pro in my App and if I need to purchase a new license.

The font will be encrypted in the iPhone App-file later and cannot be extracted. So it would fit "printable" and according to the font licensing-tables Myriad Pro is "editable".

But I am unsure so I wanted to ask here first.

Regards

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 30, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to paulengstler

Did you ever get an answer on this? I have the same question.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to Daniel Reese

So, the answer is, yes you do need additional licensing to embed the font in an app and distribute it. The existing embedding permissions are for documents, rather than apps.

For those fonts that Adobe owns all rights to, which include Myriad, they can license the fonts to you for app embedding. Contact Adobe, and if they don't know who to send you to, ask for your request to be forwarded to product management for Adobe Type. They'll know what to do.

Cheers,

T

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to Thomas Phinney

Thank you for the clarification. A post in another thread seemed to imply the opposite.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/432088

I've called Adobe four times now and can't seem to find someone who can help. I haven't asked for product management though, so I'll give that a shot. The operator keeps telling me I have to ask for a specific person.

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Daniel Reese

It may be the case that Adobe includes Flash embedding in their default licensing, but not embedding for other kinds of apps. I dont know what the current position is on that.

In any case, if you can get me your email address, I'll get you in touch with the right person. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney

Thank you so much. I'll PM it to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to Daniel Reese

I am writing the relevant person right now. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to paulengstler

Hi.

So what was the answer?

Did you get the license? How much does it costs?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to combdn

I did talk to someone. Adobe doesn't have a program yet to license fonts for app distribution, but they are working on one. I was told they hope to get things set up this year. Hopefully earlier, rather than later.

I haven't heard anything so far, but it seems inevitable. Other font foundries are heading in that direction too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to Daniel Reese

Thanks.

FontShop already has such license. Check out their “Mobile” fonts.

Will look forward for Adobe’s move.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 9:31 PM   in reply to combdn

I'd still like to see Adobe license their fonts for mobile use. MyFonts (and others) now have mobile app licensing options, but Adobe fonts seem to be excluded and only available for desktop licensing.

Has anyone heard an update on this?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 4:07 AM   in reply to Daniel Reese

I have the same question, for the same font (Myriad Pro).

But how rediculous is this, that we have to wait for ages to get an answer (if that will ever happen), and that it is really impossible to get someone on the phone from Adobe who can answer this question? I've tried several times and every time ended up with: send an email to font-licensing@adobe.com. Which doesn't aswer back of course...

The initial question dates from November 8th, 2010(!) and this thread has had 6000+ views...

COME ON ADOBE!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to bgerkes

I heard back from Adobe on Sep 6. They are still planning to do this, but those plans have been delayed for various reasons. Seems like a simple obvious step to take though.

I ended up having to ship with another font.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points