• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Affects CS6 comp do not update in Premiere Pro sequence

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since CS6, if I change an After Effects project when the comp is already in a Premiere Pro timeline, the comp won't automatically update on the timeline, but it will update on the source monitor.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things.

1, Make sure you save the AE project before switching to PP.

2. Make sure you're looking at the right comp in PP sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course. I procced as I always proceeded with all older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue

Adobe Forums: Adobe Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro 6 and After Effects won't refresh

I havn't had time to try any other workarounds. I thought I was the only one experiencing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I have is the relink or overwrite the clip with the same file. Not really efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody from Adobe can help????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Proj.L,  I just tested this with OSX 10.7.4 with multiple dynamic links and creating multiple changes between both applications.  I've had consistant updates on the timeline.  My only thought would be to clear your cache files, in AE and in Premiere, and see if that helps any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me when I render a preview of the DL clip, then change it in AE.  Pr keeps the original preview (green bar above) and doesn't update it.  I usually have to replace the clip manually - there is no option that I know of to disable/delete an individual preview file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@needles27 - okay, thanks, that's a good hint for where to look and for steps to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needles27, What are you modifying in the AE comp, prior to bringing PR to the foreground?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just about anything, I think - I haven't tracked it.  But an example -

I DL over a clip from the Pr timeline to AE.  I add a few filters such as Denoiser and Colorista - 2 pretty CPU/GPU intensive filters that need to be rendered in Pr to play back.  I also add a title.  I come back to Pr and render a preview.  Then, I go back to AE and change the title.  Then , finally back to Pr and the old preview is still there with the old AE comp.  I have to break the preview somehow to turn it back to a red bar, render again, and then I have my new AE changes in Pr.

Does that help?

MacPro4,1

32GB RAM

GTX 285

CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the original post..

Dynamic Link CS5.5, is not compatible with Dynamic Link CS6. You can import an AE CS5.5 legacy project into PR CS6, or open a PR CS5.5 legacy project that contains comps from an AE CS5.5 project in PR CS6. But if you want to make changes in AE, and have the PR project update to reflect those changes, you need to overwrite the legacy AE CS5.5 project. For example, open the PR legacy project, in PR CS6. Select one of the AE comps, and choose edit original. When the AEP opens, save it using the same name, to replace the 5.5 version with a CS6.

I'll address the work area preview topic separately, they appear similar, but are different issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. I have 2 Mac Pro machines that have recently been updated to CS6(Production Premium). This occurs on both machines. And is not specific to any one item being changed. It occurs to any changes being made AFTER rendering into PPro.

If I link between PPro & AE comps/sequence, I can make changes in AE and it will update to PPro as long as it has not been rendered. However, if I render the sequence in PPro, and then go back to AE and make changes(and yes, I am saving it before returning to PPro), it does not unrender the PPro sequence, and will not update.  It remains rendered in the sequence as if nothing has changed. No matter what I do to the imported AE comp in PPro, it will not unrender. (short of adding an adjustment layer with an effect above it all in the sequence to force it to unrender - this is my workaround for the moment).

I've gone so far as to delete the linked comp out of PPro, and re-import the AE comp, and if I drop it on the same sequence it pops immediately back up as rendered.  My guess is it has something to do with the global cache.

This is not a legacy issue, as this project was created from scratch in CS6.

Here's the workflow

Create PPro Proj  -> import footage -> edit video -> save.

Create AE Project -> edit composition to desired effect/graphics etc... -> import or drag comp from AE to PPro -> Lay AE comp on video layer above base footage -> Go back to AE make any desired changes and Save -> return to PPro, and project is updated -> Render ALL in PPro ->  realize something needs to be adjusted in AE -> go to comp in AE, make adjustment & save -> return to PPro and find that it will not update/refresh/unrender.

I can duplicate this exactly on the other machine as well, so it's not a specific issue with a specific machine.

Am I missing something short of clearing out the entire render folder in PPro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the area in the timeline in Premiere is not pre-rendered, then all of the edits/preview output is playing from media files, various cache files, Metadata, Project files, and audio conformed files. This allows the Dynamic link to immediately adjust any of those files as needed from the other applications such as AE. However if you render out a portion of the timeline, then you are now playing back from a preview file just like playing any media file in a media player. Since this file was created before the changes were made in AE then they will not adjust realtime. You have to delete the render files for that portion of your work area ( BTW you can do that under sequence settings) and then re-render that area. This is by design and not a bug.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of how sequences are affected when they are not pre-rendered. However, I'm specifically talking about once the file is rendered there is an issue that did not exist before CS6. In CS5 & CS5.5 I could render in PPro, make changes in AE, and the rendered timeline would become unrendered, and show the updated information from AE without having to manually delete any render files. I've done it thousands of times, and until CS6 it was not an issue. That is the point of dynamic linking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Antagonistic comment deleted]
Dynamic link is designed so whatever changed you make in After Effects are immediately reflected in Premiere, without the need of having to render anything in between, that's the way it worked in CS5 and CS5.5, it's not how is working in CS6, Premiere Pro is just not becoming aware that something changed in the linked AE comp so all of us users in this forum have to find ways to make PPro aware that we changed something in our linked AE projects, Me, I drag the clips across the timeline, I get the beach ball for a few seconds and then the green line turns to red, so I re render and my latest changes are reflected.

As some other have pointed out already, I'm also working from freshly created projects in CS6, nothing I'm using was created in CS5 or below.

@ James Landy and/or Eric Sanders, the changes in AE can be as little as scaling up a layer or deleting keyframes or as big as adding new precomps or reanimating a camera. None of it will be detected by Premiere.

I'm on a Mac, Snow Leopard running PPRO 6.0.1 and AE 11.0.0.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not how is working in CS6

It is for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it means that the "bug" is not easily replicated, and may be more difficult to track down and fix than something that affected everyone.

It also means it may not be a bug with PP, but a system error common to those having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the number of affected people is large enough to safely call it a bug, but that's my opinion.

I still have CS5 and CS5.5 installed on this machine, I just can't replicate the issue with those, whereas in CS6 I get it every single time, is not a random thing that happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

While searching for answers I found this thread plus another one also in the Adobe forums and one more in Creative Cow I think, this is not an isolated problem.

I can send specs of my system to the Adobe engineers if they think this could be related to something particular on my computer if they think that would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you work/media drives Formated HFS+ Journaled or Non Journaled for this project? Also where is your Media Cache located right now for this project?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HFS+Journaled. The cache is located in an external drive which also contains the media. The software runs in a separate solid state drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Journaled Meta data has been causing issues with 3rd party applications it seems quite abit lately due to the meta-data added for the journaling. Can you move your media/project files/preview/media cache files files to a drive formatted non jounaled. Make sure you change the primary directory name that you copy those files into. Move the Media Cache folder to the same Non-jounaled drive and delete the current files there. Re-render the timeline where the AE comp is and then make an adjustment. See if Premiere will recognize where the comp preview files are located and then auto delete them.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, will do that, not right now because I need to finish the project and I do not have a non journaled drive available so I need to re format one or buy a new one, as soon as I can try that will do it and post my results here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree that this bug is not easily replicated. I can do it on both of my editors, and I've gotten two other local production facilities to replicate it as well. This is an Adobe Dynamic Linking in Mac issue. Although you may have no problem with it on a PC, the programming does not apply in the same manner on Macs. This has specifically to do with when a layer has been rendered; dynamic linking is not updating the rendered portion with changes. As was pointed out by David, it is quite obvious that this is happening to multiple Adobe/Mac users. It is a bug, and I'm sure it will be addressed at some point. It's annoying at worst, and easily overcome with a simple workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines