Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

data merge causing layout shift

Aug 31, 2012 7:17 AM

Tags: #problem #pdf #merge #layout #content_shifted

I am having an issue merging multiple records on a single Master page resulting in the entire page ending up offset when merged. Using InDesign 5.5.

I have tried starting over with a new file and skipping the preview step, because I have read preview in 5.5 might have glitches, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem. My entire text block with multiple merge fields and all the images scoot over to the right and down a few inches when merged. When I have done a preview, however, everything looks fine until I actually merge. The merge fields do end up in the right place on all the pages.

Any suggestions? I'm merging tp pdf with an Excel csv file. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Molly43205

need more information. are you able to take screenshots of what is happening?

what happens if rather than merging multiple records on a master page that the multiple records are on the normal page 1 (leave the master blank)?

are you able to upload all assets for the project so that we can try to replicate the fault?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to cdflash

We have had this same issue. It happens in 5.5 and 6 with docs created in those programs. I have been able to create a successful merge in CS6 by using a document that was created in CS5 or earlier. Otherwise I have to save as an IDML file and transfer to another computer that still has CS 4 or 5, create the merged document, then transfer back. I do a lot of numbering and it's time consuming to have to adjust the placement on 1000–2000 instances on the high end. I've included some screen shots taken from the preview with the elements on the master page and with nothing on the master page. On this job the shift was down and to the left. I have had instances when the shift was up and to the left. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 11.13.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 11.12.44 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Molly43205

@OP:

so far as uploading the assets to the web for us to test and replicate the fault, perhaps try the dropbox service or similar FTP service.

more importantly

after looking at the screengrab, i think the opening post was confusing. can you please confirm that when the merge is made, is the merge meant to be:

* 1 record output per page (like a direct mail letter); or

* many records output per page (like LincolnPrintingPlus's gift certificate post)

also, what page is the merge being assembled on? an actual MASTER PAGE e.g.

Screen shot 2012-09-01 at 9.43.04 AM.png

or page 1 of the file with the master BLANK:

Screen shot 2012-09-01 at 9.43.17 AM.png

if the answer is one record per page and art is made on page 1 and the master is blank, there should be no issues. Having said that, we need to have access to all the assets to replicate the fault.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Molly43205

Set you letter up once, and set your Merge dialog this way:

Records to Merge: All Records

Records per Doucment Page: Single Record

Screen shot 2012-09-06 at 9.57.47 AM.png

This will generate a  document with a new page for each record.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points