• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Encore CS6 produces Pixelated and Grainy DVDs...????

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited my video clips in Premiere Pro CS6 (as I usually do), then sent it to CS6 Encore.  The video looks grainy and pixelated on the monitor window in Encore and records it this way as well.

The image in PPro's monitor is crisp and in great focus.  I shoot in HD.  I've never experienced this before.  Is this a bug???

Help.

Kate

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the pixelated-looking edges...this is something that has also caused me some frustration, but I now have a solution.

What I think is happening is Encore is taking the footage and transcoding it to the default settings, which is interlaced...unfortunately, there looks to be no way to change this initial setting.  What you get from this is Encore doubling up every other line of resolution, so instead of 480 horizontal lines, you get 240 lines, doub

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to provide step by step details of what you are doing... from your original video files and project settings, to exactly how you are using Encore

Screen shots work well to SHOW people what you are doing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

Read http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840 and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do my best.. I shoot achd full hd   MTS files are used.

I don't change any settings in Encore.  It doesn't give me any real choices.

My settings in PPro CS6 (upgraded from CS5.5) I use the Master Collection.

Win 7

Sequence Settings:

AVCHD 1080i  Square Pixel

29.97 frame/sec

1920x1080  16:9

Square Pixels  1.0

Fields: Upper field first

Preview File Format: I-frame only mpeg

codec: MPEG I-Frame

In PPro the video looks great. 

I used Adobe Dynamic Link to send my file to Encore.

It transcodes once I have set up the location where the Encore file will be saved.

Max Audio bitrate: 8.0

Codec: MPEG 2

720 x 400

I don't seem to have any options to change these except for the bitrate that can go up to 9...

Below is a screen shot of my PPro project.. its a bit small... but I think you can make out how clear the image is.

PPro_ProjectScreenShot.jpg

Image of screen I receive when I send to Encore:

EncoreSettingsBeforeTranscode.jpg

Image of settings:

TranscodeSettings.jpg

Screen shot of project in Encore...to be built onto a DVD.

PixalatedImageInEncore.jpg

A close up of the pixelation.

PixalatedImageInEncore.jpg

Screen shot of image in PPro.. you can see the difference.

PPro_ProjectCloseUp.jpg

All updates are current as well.

If I have missed anything you feel would be helpful please ask. 

Cheers Kate.... and thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, do not use dynamic link

Export from PPro as either MPEG2-DVD or Widescreen DV AVI and then author in Encore

My personal choice (CS5) is to export as DV AVI so I may let Encore use the automatic transcoding setting to make a "best fit" of time to DVD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on it! As it takes hours to export a file this size (its just over an hour) I will let it run overnight.  When I am done I will come back and let you know how it went. Thanks for the suggestions and for your time.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion was because I have read of Dynamic Link Problems... may not fix your problem, but only takes a bit of time to test

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/936216

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/938108

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/938549

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I did a tiny section of the video so it would not take too long.

I exported to AVI - NTSC DV Widescreen and also tried MPEG2-DVD.  Saved files to my computer.  Opened Encore. File - imported as Timeline - Choose the file - did the usual, set title and end action. I also did an uncompressed AVI.  All came out very pixelated.

I imported the AVI back into P.Pro to see if it was grainy at this stage, and it looked perfect.  So I rule out PPro as the issue.

I am perplexed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downrezizng text can produce problems. What does the non-text part of your picture look like? It does not look too bad in the image I am seeing.

If your problem is really the text, that involves some other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

The images also look pixelated, as badly as the text. 

When I import any files to Encore I cannot change the import settings.  They are at 720 x 480..... I would like to change them to the file size that is the full HD 1920 x 1080.  It states I can change the authoring mode anytime in the Project Settings, but it does not give me any options.  It is set on just the one.  Is there another way to change it?

Update..  I am trying something new... hopefully it will work.  I used the Dynamic Link from PrPro.  Changed the setting to BlueRay, once it was in Encore I  noticed the settings were the same as before, DVD , burn to disc..etc.  But.... the image was crystal clear on the monitor!  So I am doing small section of the file and sending it to a DVD.  Fingers crossed that it works.

Thanks Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import any files to Encore I cannot change the import settings.

There is no issue regarding "import"; I think you are referring to the project settings and the default transcode settings. What is imported into Encore can be full HD into a DVD project. It is what it is transcoded into, that for NTSC DVD must be 720x480, that matters.

What are your transcode settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The transcode settings are on auto.  Nothing else is checked off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the result of your dynamic link experiment? You used the automatic transcode for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Badly pixelated.  But, I took another small clip and found out how to make a new preset using on render at Max and also choose NTSC DV widscreen...something like this but don't have the exact wording handy right now as I am on another computer, at 29.97 fram rate, 8.0 max bitrate,... it worked.  I am transcoding in Encore for my large 1.5 hour video using my new preset... I will let  you know how it goes.  I am also using another software for burning the dvds as Encore is too unstable to do it.  It will take nearly 10 hours to transcode.  Thanks again and I will be back with the results soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know. Also, make careful notes, if you can get to the settings, as to what settings you used. There are many options, and I worry that you are 90% there and will want to tweak, if not on this project, another in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,  Well, I did the same settings as the one I used for the short piece that worked but Encore would not transcode the longer video.  It would take around 17 hours then crash.  It looked like it was transcoding and the bars would show it was complete..and then the computer would shut down and restart. I have  a Dell i7 with 12g memory, with 9 dedicated to Adobe and I  have done lots of one hour videos before without it crashing.  

I then did another video...a short 5 minute one from a completely different project using the same settings and it worked fine.   I am concluding that there is somethng about my large video that is wrong and Encore is unable to deal with it. I also cleared the cache but it didn't seem to make any difference.  I will still work on it though just to see if I eventually figure out what is going on with it. 

One thing that has been happening with CS6 on the files that do transcode, when I transcode and build an ISO image, it makes it into a zip file on my computer.  How odd.. I will have to see if there is a setting that is doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would take around 17 hours then crash.

In the interest of my own sanity, I'm going to pretend that you omitted a decimel between the one and the seven. Otherwise, I'D feel  your pain!

One thing that has been happening with CS6 on the files that do transcode, when I transcode and build an ISO image, it makes it into a zip file on my computer.

That makes no sense. How would that happen without the intervention of some other program operating in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with a fast computer with lots of memory, CS6 Encore takes huge amounts of time to transcode anything.  It was 17 hours for an hour long video.  In CS5.5 it was much faster.  CS6 Encore and PP have a lot of issues that were not present in CS5.5.

I have to check my winzip program.  I never set it to do anything except unzip large files sent via email.  I have no idea why this happens.  Oh well. I am hope to get this figured out eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to give up on this one but I have one more question that might be the reason for this problem. 

The original PPro video file was around 2.5 hours long, too long for a good quality DVD.  The video is a two set live performance so I made two "copies" of the main video and saved to another folder.  This was done as I didn't want to use a dual layer DVD.

The first copy I named "set 1" and deleted the clips in the timeline that I did not need (this video is now 1hour 8 minutes long)....and did a similar edit on the second copy that I named "set 2".  I did not remove the assets in the project window that were not being used in each copy. 

When I send "set 1" to Encore through the Dynamic Link it comes through as the 1 hour 8 minute video.  When transcoded using the automatic setting (I always used this with previous projects without any issues) the video quality is very poor.... as if it was trying to transcode a video too large for a DVD.  I was wondering if Encore was somehow seeing the entire video in the background somehow?

Or should I remove the assets  not used in each PP project (they are just my AVCHD files) .  I was nervouse about deleting anythng there just in case they are linked to the other copy which uses them.

I might be way out in left field here but I am running out of hair to  pull out over this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just nest the original sequence in a new sequence, and shorten the sequence there.

In any event, you don't need new/different PR projects, just sequences.

You can pull the dynamic linked sequence from EN.

I don't think unused media is an issue, unless you left a stray clip way out at the end of the new sequence. This would show in the length of the timeline in EN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan... this will certainly make my work easier.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. I have tried everything.  What is happening is I cannot make a DVD or ISO at all.  It goes through the transcoding process, it takes up to 17 hours, it seems to get to the end, although I am not there to see it, and then my computer crashes.  I have tons of space on my hardrive as I set up this computer to do this sort of work and handle the load.  So its not the hardware.  Should I uninstall Encore and reinstall it?  I don't want to do this if you feel its uncessary.

I have seen a previouse issue here with the program crashing at the end of a transcode but the fellow never got back to  you with any more information.

Could a clip become corrupted somehow and cause the project to crash at a certain point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not reviewed the thread: are you transcoding as part of the build, or using "transcode now." Are you sure it is the transcode that crashes and not the build. If you are still trying dynamic link, don't.

Yes, clips/projects can get corrupt and can cause various problems.

Create a new small test project. One menu, one timeline, with an asset that takes only a few minutes to transcode. If that all works, I'd troubleshoot further before reinstalling. But I would not rule out a need to reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only assume it is during the build as its near the very end.  I have not done the "transcode only".  That would rule it out if it does not crash.  I might try this after I try your suggestion.

I am leaning on the idea of a corrupted file that is causing the crashing.  I wonder if the corrupted files (if this was the case) would effect the quality of the DVD (very pixelated)?

Back soon with results.... hopefully better ones. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I contacted Adobe help and we uninstalled all of my Adobe software with a clean from Adobe and reinstalled Adobe CS6 Master Suite.  It also installed all of my past Adobe software.  I am now attempting to transcode, once again, in Encore CS6 the same files to see if it was a conflict between the software in the past or my file.

It is still transcoding but my i7 Quad Core is very hot, temp wise.  It is roaring along using all 8 CPU cores at 100%.  Its not using all of the memory as I have lots.  Is it reasonable that Adobe should be using up all of my cores.  I thought Adobe 64 bit software was supposed to be efficient.  Can you tell me what is going on????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the Premiere hardware forum.

I like using the PPBM benchmark to see if there are issues in my hardware.

Some transcodes can certainly be processor intensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines