Currently Being Moderated

Printing booklets

Jun 19, 2012 5:01 AM

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Calculating status...
    Jun 19, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Community Help

After reading the information about Creep and Understanding Creep, I still do not understand how to calculate it.

Could you please provide more examples?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Nancy Bockbrader

Creep is based on the thickness of the paper stock. In theory, I think, the creep increment winds up being equal to two times the paper thickeness, but I've never had occassion to need to do the calculations or specify a creep value myself, and unless you are doing the imposition of a job that you are printing yourself there is no reason you'd need to do it, either.

From a practical standpoint, unless you are using very thick stock, or you are making signatures with more than 4 sheets, you probably don't need to bother with creep unless your outer margins are really small.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thank you.

NB

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Nancy Bockbrader

As Peter says if you don't have to, don't. However, if you have a page count large enough where you need Creep...

Note: There is no one size-fits-all recipe for Creep, but this is a good rule to follow and is how many shops do it.

For a 72 page signature you would have 18 sheets (that's 72 divided by 4 =18). So the amount of creep would be

18 x thickness of the sheet (or paper if you like).

cheers,

Charles

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to Quite CJ

Thanks!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Nancy Bockbrader

Your Welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to Community Help

When attempting to print a booklet and save it as a PDF, I select "Adobe PDF" as the printer, and I get a "Save As" dialogue box to save the PDF, but then I get the warning "The Save as PDF option in the printer dialogue is not supported." I really need to save booklets as PDFs: any suggestions? Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to nattwell

Sounds like you are on Mac OS. See InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard

You can either print your booklet to postscript and distill, or you can use a script to impose the file and export to PDF, or you can export an unimposed PDF and use a tool like Quite Imposing to make your booklet.

My favorite ID imposing scripts are by Dave Saunders: http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip which is suitable for simple documents with no cross-spine content other than on the center spread, and Dave's CS3 Booklet Script which is better at handing pages with content that crosses the gutter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks, Peter. I've used Dave Saunder's booklet script for years on CS3, but I didn't think it would work in CS6 (I've just made the leap from CS3 to CS6).

Nikki

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to nattwell

I don't know if it will run "as is" but iof not it should run in a subfolder named "Version 5.0 Scripts" without the quotes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to Community Help

I am having so much trouble. I have created the booklet I want, it's 16 pages (32 spreads). But I cannot figure out how to get this this to print properly. The example above only have up to 8 pages so I have no idea where to put these pages so they print correctly. Can someone please help me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to BeaverNation18

I'll try to help, but I need some information. You say it's 16 pages. Wouldn't that be 8 spreads?

NB

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to Nancy Bockbrader

Ok it's 16 spreads, 32 pages, sorry. I know I put the back page with the cover to make that spread but after that I am totally lost how to line up these pages so they print correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to BeaverNation18

The total of adding the page numbers for each spread should be 33, i.e. page 32(L) and page 1(R) on the first spread, page 2(L) and 31(R) on spread 2, page 30(L) and page 3(R) on spread 3, page 4(L) and page 29(R) on spread 4, etc. (See the pattern?).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Yes thank you very much for your help Larry. It was driving me crazy, espeically since the "page" numbers would change when I moved them (i.e. when I moved 32 next to 1, that became 1 and 1 became 2" so it was hard to keep things straight.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to BeaverNation18

What you may want to do is Export a PDF of your original file, break it into individual files in Acrobat and use those to reimpose a new file in the correct order for printing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to BeaverNation18

BeaverNation18 wrote:

I know I put the back page with the cover to make that spread

No. Don't do that. Print Booklet will move the last page next to the first page when it runs. Your file should be in consecutive order, first and last pages by themselves, before running print booklet.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Since you aren't using Creep you can Create a PDF Booklet in a few clicks.

Here is page from our Getting Started Tech sheet in Quite Imposing Plus.

Create booklet.jpg

And here is a temporary number so you can try it for free.

http://boffin.quite.com/general/demo.htm

Expires end 9/2012  Serial 6194-6027-3422-4682  Code 6893

cheers,

Charles

help@quite.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Quite CJ

Can you move the pages manually for an imposition and have the page numbers stay, not change as you move them. I do not want to have to create a PDF first. Does this mean I need to do my page numbers manually? Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to walton7

the scripts I linked in Post 8 will shuffle pages for imposition without creating a PDF first, and the numbering will not change.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to walton7

If the scripts don't quite do what you want, please give the IDImposer plug-in for InDesign a try. I'm happy to help you if you run into any difficulties.  http://idimposer.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am using Indesign CS4 on a Mac and trying to use the print booklet feature to print, fold and staple via our office printer, which does everything apart from make the coffee - it's a Sharp machine.  I just can't get it to staple.  The document is set up A5 pages.

I can print, staple and fold an A4 document but not using print booklet feature.

Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Medbury

The Booklet SC script can take your A5 doc and create a new 'saddle stitch' A4 size InDesign document. Then just do a normal print from InDesign. http://sterlingcomputing.com/legacy-scripts.html

Let me know if you have any problems,

Stephen (author of Booklet SC)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Medbury

@ Medbury,

I don't know that this is the problem, but I suspect you need to enable the stapling in the driver. You first go from Print Booklet to the print setup to choose the printer and page size, etc, then go from that dialog into the printer driver settings to set up folding and stapling.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hi I am using InDesign CS5.5 on Windows 7 64 bit and when I try to process a booklet I am getting a "downloading procset" message and InDesign freezes ... I can transfer the file to my laptop running windows 7 32 bit and it works straight off - can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to get it working on my 64 bit system

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 3:14 AM   in reply to greentreesky

Have you tried trashing yor prefs? see Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi Peter thank you

I tried removing prefs files but no luck still getting same message and the freeze. So have restored my original prefs.

If you have ony other thoughts please let me know

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to greentreesky

The message actually sounds like a distiller message. Are you printing direct to a printer, or to PDF? Have you checked the printer driver?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I am printing to PDF.

If I export the file to PDF it processes perfectly - (but of course it is not imposed, which is what I need)

if I go through print booklet using Adobe PDF as the printer I get the "procset" message

if I go through print menu and use Adobe PDF as my printer I get same "procset" message

Is this indicating driver issue or Distiller issue and how to fix?

(BTW when I force close ID there is a window hiding underneath that would have allowed me to have named the output file - when this procset message comes up this never becomes available from ID.)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to greentreesky

Have you checked the printer options in the driver settings (which will come up as Adobe PDF Properties) when you click the Setup button in the Print Settings dialog that opens from Print Booklet when you press the Print Settings button. It's possible there's a problem in these settings.

It may also help to reset the Acrobat prefs, but I'm not sure how that will affect Distiller, or if there's a separate set for Distiller that you can replace. They may be able to tell you in the Acrobat forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to greentreesky

I've been thinking about this some more, and two more ooptions occur to me. The first would be to try a reinstall of Acrobat.

The second is more pragmatic and aimed at getting your document out. Export as PDF normally so you have a single file as single pages. Use Scott Zanelli's script (InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files) to place that PDF into a new single file. Use Print booklet to impose and print to a new PDF, or use one of the imposition scripts to impose and then export a new PDF in Spreads, or give the IDImposer plugin a try: Overview | IDImposer

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I checked all the PDF options and they look right; removed Acrobat prefs, could not find any info about deleting only Distiller... but no change any way;  Did the reinstall of  Acrobat ... sadly still an issue.

Found a 2008 post on another site suggesting to change the port to "print to file" rather than "Adobe PDF". I then choose PS file in printer settings create PS file and then drag and drop to distiller window (the old fashiond way) and it worked

In doing this I got a window saying I needed to turn off "rely on system forts only; do not use document fonts". And just for interst I reverted the port to Adobe PDF and tried making a booklet direct to PDF... it worked! no procset message!

Interestingly my laptop (the 32 bit system) does have "rely on system forts only; do not use document fonts" is checked and I do get the procset message??

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to greentreesky

I can't tell you why. If it goes bad again though, I'd delete the PDF printer before reinstalling Acrobat (I shold have thought of that earlier).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to Community Help

Who can I automate the process of printing booklet.

I use a saved Print Preset named "A3 booklet"

I supply page range 1-16 then print as pdf using PDFCreater.

File Name as 01.pdf, then pages 17-32 as 02.pdf and so on.

I am aware that InDesign provides printBooklet() method through scripting, but I have no clues how to use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Community Help

I get everything to work except when I set up creep there is a blank white space between the pages and it looks terrible when I bind it saddle stitch. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this without having to set up the creep manually???

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Community Help

I need to create a printable, already-imposed PDF of a booklet, but am unable to do so.  When I "Print Booklet," and set printer to PostScript file, and PPD to the only available option, Device Independent, all options on the Setup page, like page size, UN-like the video on this page, are grayed-out, and after running distiller on the ps file, the PDF has the content mostly off the page.  It's unusable.  I notice on the video on this page that the PPD isn't "Device Independent," but seems to be one for the same printer the author was using before he switched the printer to PostScript File.  If that's the problem, I don't seem to have any other PPD than "Device Independent."  Can anyone help me?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to TheophanD

Read the previously linked article at http://indesignsecrets.com/acrobats-adobe-pdf-printer-replaced-in-snow -leopard.php and ALL of the comments. You should find directions for downloading and installing adbePDF9 ppd file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks!

I think I saw that, while poking around trying to sort this out, but I was concerned that it's a couple of generations older than my software.  I'm using InDesign CC, Acrobat XI, and Mountain Lion.  Are you sure I should be using an Adobe PDF 9 version of a ppd file, and that it will solve my problem.  Isn't there a PDF 11 version?  (I'm way out of my depth on this stuff, as you probably can tell.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to TheophanD

As far as I know, that's it...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status