Skip navigation
Mike_Ormerod
Currently Being Moderated

Importing from Canon XF100

Aug 31, 2012 10:13 PM

Tags: #import #canon #mxf #xf100 #xf

First, I should state that I am on a trial right now. I am operationg it on Lion 10.7.2 on my imac. So I have a couple questions.

First, does APP actually import material, or just reference the file location?

Now on to the exacts. I can easily find my camera files in the media window, and import them. But, since they only reference the files on the camera, the USB interface makes things quite slow. So, it seems logical to move the files onto my thunderbolt drive for speed. The problem is than the MXF files from the canon XF100 get broken down into 5 minute chunks. So, if I have an hour long interview, I have 12 files to sort through. Since I am deciding between this and AVID, workflow with my camera's files is pretty important. Canon makes a utility for FCPX (which I'm using now) and AVID. That alows the files to be imported from the camera as one clip. But, with FCPX, it actually imports, it doesn't just reference. So, is there a way that I can either have APP bring in the entire clip as one, or atleast combine the clips in my sources to make one file. It is also possible that this is one area that is not fully operative with the trial version. I really like the setup with APP, and the bundle you can get with it. But if it comes down to it not cooperating with my video files, then I may have to stay with FCPX, or try avid (which has major MAC compatibility issues, meaning I probably buty a new PC as well)

Thanks in advance,

Mike Ormerod

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2012 10:38 PM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Hi Mike

The best workflow would in my oppinion be to first copy the whole content of your memory card to your media harddrive, since premiere "only" makes a reference to the placement of the files, as you write.

After that go to Premiere and find the "Media Browser".

Navigate inside there to the "content" folder you just copied, and you will see a list of the actual clips you recorded, and not the 5 min. chunks, as you describe the actual files on the card. Premiere automaticly reads the metadata from the card, and knows how many "chunks" there is in each clip.

To get an import with as little or no hazzle as possible, its essential that you copy the whole content of your memory card onto the harddrive.

Chose the clips you want to import, mark them, right click and chose import.

You should be good to start editing now

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

It shows them as seperate files even when you use media browser? That isn't normal behavior for Premiere, generally speaking when you copy over the entire folder structure from the camera/memory card and then use Premiere's media browser (not the regular import methods) it will join the clips together for you.

Even though you're seeing the breakdown after you take them off the card/camera if you use Premiere's Media browser to import them they SHOULD appear as a entire clip again istead of being seperate. Even though on your system they will still technically not be one clip, when you pull them into your project via media browser they will appear like one.

You just need to be sure you're looking at them with the Premiere media browser

and not the regular premiere pro file>import method or dragging and dropping in the bin or hitting ctrl+i on pc.

Because if you do any of the last three ways I mention it will appear as seperate clips but if you use media

browser it should work properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Strange....

If you navigate to the top level of the contents folder in the media browser, just by clicking it once, you should se the clips in the right side of the media browser, and not the "chunks".

If it does not work for you, you can use the XF utitily from canon to off losd your card and join the spanned clips into one on your harddrive.

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Ok, Mike.

Inside the utility, there is an option calle "export to MXF" (at least in the PC version).

Inside there is 3 options as I remember it - you can export each file, each clip (can be several files) or one big file with all clips inside.

I would chose the export each clip option.

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 3:16 AM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Mike, i have the xf100 too, wonderfull camera.

Make sure you copy the whole card, because you need all the info on that card

You can use an usb card reader. Cost very little.

Put the CONTENTS folder into a folder of its own and call it say VIDEO.

Go to the Media Browser and click on the word VIDEO.

All the thumbnails will appear.

If you do not want to use the Media Browser go to the Project Panel

Double click and navigatie to CONTENTS.

Highlight the word and hit IMPORT FOLDER.

Hit ok for the File Import Failure.

Good Luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

The breakdown happens as soon as I take the files off of the card

Don't use any software other than Finder to move the files from the card.  Things will then work correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Mike_Ormerod wrote:

So, using a card reader will do the job different than the camera?

All we ever do is use the Mac Finder (or Windows Exploerer when copying to Windows) to copy the card contents (all of them) to a folder on the HDD, then use Premiere Pro Media Manager to import them to the bins.

It works.  Every time.  I've never had a failure from what must be 750+ card transfers from both XF100 and XF300 cameras.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Mike_Ormerod wrote:

So, using a card reader will do the job different than the camera?

No imo its easier. A cardreader can be connect to the computer all the time. Just pop the card in a ready to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

using a card reader will do the job different than the camera?

The hardware is irrelevant.  The software used to do the copying is what matters.

Use only Finder or Windows Explorer, and things will work.  Do NOT use the Canon utility software.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Glad you got it figured out I knew something wierd was going on somehow just wasn't sure what it was.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to Mike_Ormerod

Mike_Ormerod wrote:

So, I recorded screen while atempting to try again. And it worked. The secret vas to change my media browser view to Canon XF instead of files. Here is the video anyway for anyone else who comes along with this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5XH75c5Euo&list=UU1W8NKZy797f7Z_OzMj_l uQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Glad to see you got it working now, Mike

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points