Skip navigation
kiratsinhjadeja
Currently Being Moderated

Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?

Sep 2, 2012 6:30 AM

Tags: #cs4 #after_effects #render #animation #quicktime #codecs #lossless #dnxhd #compressors #photo_jpeg

Hi,

I have AE CS4, updated.Win XP SP 3 and 560ti Nvidia.

I have a few questions regarding quicktime and after effects.

I mostly render using quicktime and photo-jpeg as the compressor.But in the timelapse I shot, it is not giving me precise colors and the final movie is low on contrast.
I tried animation codec, awesome but file size too large.I am rendering for stock footage where 1GB is maximum file size limit.

My questions:

1 - Will updating Quicktime update the compressor menu list under quicktime format in after effects render settings?Will updating also add new compressors, if any?

2 - Where does quicktime store encoders/compressors if installed on C drive?

3 - I saw many recommending DNxHD codec.I downloaded it.What next?Is it a quicktime compressor, i.e. to be used with quicktime as we use h.264, animation and photo-jpeg?

4 - How do I add DNxHD codec to After Effects for use in renders?

5 - Could you recommend the best lossless quicktime compressor which gives not so big file size as animation does?

Currently I see 11 compressors in format options under quicktime.Are there more?I have the latest k-lite codec pack installed if that matters.

Thank you.
Would be greatful if you can explain, it will help me get clear on this.

Thank you.And sorry if it is a very basic question.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to kiratsinhjadeja

1 - Will updating Quicktime update the compressor menu list under quicktime format in after effects render settings

Yes.

Will updating also add new compressors, if any?

No. There simply are no more built into QT.

2 - Where does quicktime store encoders/compressors if installed on C drive?

In its program directory or the relevant QT sub-directory inside the Windows folder.

3 - I saw many recommending DNxHD codec.I downloaded it.What next?Is it a quicktime compressor, i.e. to be used with quicktime as we use h.264, animation and photo-jpeg?

Yes, it is. And that also answers question 4.

5 - Could you recommend the best lossless quicktime compressor which gives not so big file size as animation does?

The PNG CoDec and then most third-party CoDecs like DNxHD or the Blackmagic ones. Still, the latter would be pointless, sonce not all people will ahve access to such CoDecs or will not want to install them.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to kiratsinhjadeja

A couple of additional answers would be helpful: what do you have to deliver?  What will be the final use of your animation file?

We could then point you in a better direction.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to kiratsinhjadeja

Umm, seriously, what are you looking for? There is no magic CoDec that fixes your crooked footage. If it comes out flat, then apply adjustments and use color management to ensure consistent color rendering. If it has banding, apply a hint of noise. There is simply no CoDec that will do miracles while meeting their requiremnts. and I don't see an issue. Pretty much all stuff they sell comes in Photo-JPEG, PNG o0r H.264 flavors. The issue is on your end.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points