Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Raw preference

Sep 2, 2012 5:25 AM

How do I set Camera Raw preference to: Save image settings in: Sidecar ".xmp" files?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to WayneD2012

There is no such option in LR. If you save metadata to JPG or DNG or TIF, the metadata is saved within the file; and with RAWs sidecars are always created.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

There is no such option in LR. If you save metadata to JPG or DNG or TIF, the metadata is saved within the file; and with RAWs sidecars are always created.

Agreed, but there is the option (Edit menu, Catalog settings, Metadata tab, check box "Automatically write changes into XMP") that causes the image edits to be saved straight away into the xmp files, as well as to the catalog.  Checking that option (which I do) apparently can make LR a bit slower (though I've not noticed when I've tried both options), but means that the .xmp file is always synchronised with LR's catalog (unless you edit the file externally in ACR). 

If you do edit the file externally in ACR, then next time you view it in LR, there will be a little arrow top-right of the image, and if you click that it will warn you that the xmp file is out of step with LR's catalog, and gives you the option of whether you want LR to take the xmp file version, or its catalog version (and overwrite the xmp). 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

Not so! I run LR all the time without xmps. You just leave 'automatically save into xmps' unchecked, and don't manually save them, then you don't get any at all! And I leave 'save into jpgs, tifs, and psds' unchecked as well. All my LR metadata is stored in the catalog, and in backups. No need for xmps unless you want to transfer stuff to other programs.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to bob frost

Bob, we are arguing different things, perhaps because of the vagueness of the original question.

First, I never said that you cannot run LR without saving the metadata to xmp.

I assumed the original question wanted to know how to create sidecar .xmp files, the key word being "sidecar", and you cannot create sidecar files via Lightroom if you are working with JPG, DNG, PSD or TIF. You can only create sidecar .xmp files for RAW photos using Lightroom.

If the original question meant how to save LR's metdata to XMP (which now seems more likely based upon the original poster's followup), then of course you and others are correct, I agree completely.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,393 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Sep 2, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

First, I never said that you cannot run LR without saving the metadata to xmp.

That's true. However, where and when XMP (metadata) gets saved isn't something we have full control over in that you can't not save that data into the catalog at some point right? Whether XMP gets saved in a sidecar or the catalog (and at what point) is where I think the one LR preference can come into play here.

IF Auto save XMP is off and you edit an image (raw or otherwise), if at no point was the XMP metadata gets saved to the catalog, what would you see the next time you opened that image you worked on? XMP has to be saved somewhere at some point.

I think the OP needs to know the effect of not saving the XMP to a sidecar and only into the LR database if or when that file gets opened into ACR. ACR needs that metadata and has no direct access to the LR database. Hence the recommendation posted.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

you can't not save that data into the catalog at some point right

This was never a point of contention or discussion

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,393 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Sep 2, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

you can't not save that data into the catalog at some point right

This was never a point of contention or discussion

It is if you read the OP's post as I did (correctly or incorrectly). The OP points out the bit about Viewing Lightroom settings in Camera Raw hence I believe the question.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

@Andrew Rodney, Lightroom ALWAYS SAVES ALL THE WORK YOU DO TO THE CATALOG FILE.

Saving to .xmp automatically or manually is an option. For raw files it is saved to .xmp sidecar files for jpeg, tiff, psd the xmp info is saved into the file header.

When you work with Lightroom the information by default is in the database, when you work with ACR in PS or PSE the info is saved to the file.

I work with Lightroom all the info is in the catalog, no .xmp and no DNG in my workflow.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,393 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Sep 2, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

When you work with Lightroom the information by default is in the database, when you work with ACR in PS or PSE the info is saved to the file.

I work with Lightroom all the info is in the catalog, no .xmp and no DNG in my workflow.

Which is an issue if or when you want to use ACR or if you embed data from LR as a smart object in a PS document. ACR has no access to that data in the catalog and in such workflows, can be very problematic if you don't either save as DNG or sidecar. If your entire world of image editing of raw revolves around LR, then your point is sound.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

I agree and understand, but if you have the latest version of Lightroom for processing your raw files then there should be no need for ACR, I say should because I understand there are some that prefer the interface of ACR.

Then the choice should be Lightroom or Bridge as your file manager and Lightroom or ACR as your raw processor. If you have the latest version of PS CS and you are happy with Bridge to manage your files then there is no need for Lightroom.

If you prefer the Lightroom database for managing your files, then I think it best to use Lightroom as your raw processor and ignore ACR.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points