Skip navigation
Liked-paper-better
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot view certain documents

Aug 31, 2012 10:42 AM

Tags: #configuration #reader_viewing

Certain .pdf files that I receive via email or attempt to view on the web (such as bank statements) open as pages that are completely grayed out. The full file seems to be there because the number of pages are correct.  However, there is nothing but a gray background on each page.  Files that I create myself open fine, as do files from certain other websites.  I have the most recent version of Adobe Reader (10.1.4) and have tried running the "repair" option, with no improvement.  I have tried saving the files to my computer and then opening them, but I get the same result.  I am using Windows 7.  The helpdesk at the bank told me that it is something to do with my configuration.  Any assistance will be so appreciated. Thank you. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 31, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Liked-paper-better

Hi Liked-paper-better,

Changing the zoom settings should allow you to see the contents of the document.  Try reducing the Zoom factor, or click the button to “Fit one full page to window”.

You can make this change persistent (to avoid changing for every document) in Edit > Preferences > Page Display > Zoom > Fit Page.

You can also try saving the PDF again in Acrobat using the PDF Optimizer to optimize the PDF file using Standard settings, or the Reduced Size PDF option.

Let me know if it helps.

~Pranav

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to Liked-paper-better

If you download these PDF documents to your local disk, can you open them from there?

Another thing to check is if the device driver for your display adapter is up to date; see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points