Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Individual 3D Layers

Sep 4, 2012 12:40 PM

I have "Sweet On You" spelled out in 3D with each letter having its own layer. Can I render the individual 3D layers together or do I have to do them separately? What should the letters look like after they're rendered? When I render them individually, the previously rendered letter turns white.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Scythron

Target all of the 3D layers in Layers panel and press Cmd+E to merge into one 3D layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Scythron

Hi,

When you say it won't let you render, is the menu option inactive? If so make sure you have only 3D layers selected before merging (Cmd+E will rasterize a 3D layer mixed with a non-3D layer).

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Scythron

Hmmm... it does for me, so I guess there's another detail to consider. When you say "it won't let me render the one layer" what exactly do you mean? For example, does the computer beep, or is there an error message, or... ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to conroy

Hi,

Another way to approach this for future projects is to type all the characters as a single line/block of text. Then extrude to a single layer, and go to 3D> Split Extrusion. There are plus/minus to each method.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to SG...

Hi Steve,

Yes, I would do what you suggest. When I said that it worked for me, I meant merging 3D layers in general, not specifically 3D type, then rendering the one layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to conroy

Hi,

I think you suggestion was spot on. My guess is that a non-3D layer was included in the layers selection by mistake.

I just added the other method in case the OP wasn't aware of the Split Extrusion command. Depending on the amount and style of letters, and how much individual character movement will be done, creating as one block extrusion and splitting can be less cumbersome (other times, not).

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Scythron

Hi Jeff,

Good to hear you have that working. When 3D layers merge, the bottom layer in the stack is used for lighting, camera view, and environment properties (the other layers information is overwritten).

To unjumble the characters after merging, you can multi-select the meshes in the 3D panel and then use the Align/Distribute tools up in the Tool options bar (Move tool selected). You can also try to control before merging by placing each character relative to the axis location in a 'Top' view.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to SG...

Hi,

I forgot to mention in the earlier posts, the biggest downside (IMO) to Split Extrusion is that the linkage back to Edit Source gets removed. You still have access to change color attributes but lose the ability to modify character and paragraph attributes, as well as actual characters.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points