• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to install latest version of Flash for Firefox on WinXP, get Internet Explorer Script Error

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to install the latest version of Flash (filename install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih.exe), browser = Firefox 14 (current), OS = Windows XP.  I've tried multiple times, making sure to disable Norton Antivirus Autoprotect first.

At some point along the process - either during download or during installation - I get the following error message:

Internet Explorer Script Error

Line: 1

Char: 10010

Error: 'ActionLaunchAdobe' is undefined

Code: 0

URL: http://127.0.0.1:1174/app/_js/adobe.js

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? [yes] [no]

Whether I answer [yes] or [no] the result is the same - the program hangs. It does not close, and when I close it manually it asks if I really want to stop it. But if I leave it there, nothing happens.

Per advice of the website, I uninstalled Flash in order to start over fresh. What that means is that, instead of having an outdated version of Flash, I now have none.

I've tried to RTFM but searches for this error come up empty.  I'm curious why Internet Explorer is being involved in this to begin with. But mostly, I'm just curious how to get this thing to work.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

@nickzinck - Please try installing using the appropriate installer located here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener's suggestion solved the problem for me - thanks Pat! So now I'd like to close this topic out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're investigating this issue and we'd like to get some additional details.  I'd appreciate if anyone experiencing these errors could do the following steps:

1. Download the Flash Player installer
  2. Open a command prompt and navigate to the installer location (eg. "cd c:\users\username\downloads\")
  3. Run the installer, using a “/debug”.argument  (eg. “install_flashplayer11x32ax_chrd_aih.exe /debug”)
  4. Once the installer runs and the error is reproduced, a file named “host.developer.log” will be created in your system’s temp folder.
  5. You can quickly access the temp folder by clicking on Start > Run, then type "%temp%". 
  6. Locate the "host.developer.log" file and either post the contents in a reply or send directly to ccampbel@adobe.com.

Along with the debug log, please include the following info:

Operating System (if you're on XP, what service pack do you have installed)

Browser

Network proxy setup (if applicable)

Thanks!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I also have exactly the same problem described above.  I'm running Windows XP [32bit] with SP3.  Internet Explorer 8.

I do not understand how to run the installer using debug as requested as Flash Player 11.4. hangs during the download stage.

...Brian  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my flashplayer hangs when i am using firefox or ie browser, i am using latest 11.4 version of flashplayer similar issues were occuring in 11.3 as well i am on windows vista, what should i do.

Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy Andrews wrote:

my flashplayer hangs when i am using firefox or ie browser

Please start a new topic in http://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer/using_flashplayer as your problem is completely different from this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you pat i was unaware of how to open a new thread so i posted here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact problems. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread and nothing works. No matter what I do I get the same script error message. I am running windows xp (sp3) with internet explorer 8. As of now I can not watch any videos or open any documents since I unistalled flashplayer. My computer has regressed back to the dark ages. I feel like I'm surfing the web on an Apple IIe. I've spent hours working on this problem to no avail. I called Adobe and they had me on hold for 2 hrs!!!!! When they finally answered they said they could help if I gave them money. I hung up on principle alone. By the sounds of things with lots of other people having the same exact problem Adobe should be helping us out because obviously something is haywire on their end. My only hope seems to be Pat Willener. Pat if you are out there, any ideas??!! Thanks in advance!

PS  I am not really computer literate, so doing all that Chris Campbell suggests is over my head. I just want my computer to work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kris,

Please download and install the appropriate installer from this link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-pr oblems-flash-player-windows.h...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Kris Forde and yes I downloaded the appropriate installer from Chris Campbell's link.  It doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PeterMitchellMavrick - what error did you get?  The links I provided were stand alone installers, they do not contain any scripts like the online installers do, so you can't get scripting errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It installed ok but didn't work.  After reading your post again, I checked and it was Disabled under my Add-ons in IE.  It works now.  Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris! I tried downloading from your link and I couldn't find anywhere to download flashplayer. There were just links going back to the adobe download page. However, at one point a box popped up on my screen while using yahoo mail and asked if I wanted to download flashplayer. I tried it and it downloaded fine even though I had tried to downlaod from that box many times in the past days. Anyhow, I'm not sure how I got it to download, but its working now. Thanks all for the help! Hope others with the same problem can get it to work as well. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris -

I'm getting the same problem - script error - trying to download adobe reader. Don't want to highjack this thread, but can you lead me in the right direction so I can download adobe reader. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat! All is finally working again only because of your MVP help! Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem, but sucessfully re-installed.

See the following:

Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

# "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash" not exists, but it's ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mikoto_1981 wrote:

# "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash" not exists, but it's ok

That folder exists only on 64-bit systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

That folder exists only on 64-bit systems.

Ok, I see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem except I get the following error message:

Line:   1

Char:  12565

Error:   Object Expected

Code:   0

URL:    http://127.0.0.1:3079/app/_ js/adobe.js

Do you want to keep running scripts on this page? [yes] [no]

I uninstalled the existing Flash Player and like Dave, now I have no Flash Player.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred,

Could you please download Flash Player from the following link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.ht...

After download, close all browsers and then double-click the downloaded file.

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

I just reset my Windows xp Internet Options to "default" and was able to install the latest version of the Flash Player. I found this recommendation on another thread on this forum.

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

The key is network environment?

To tell the truth, there are two web proxy servers at the office.

So now I notice why offline installer is recommended.

And, today I have changed my Internet Options.

I will check it tomorrow. (WPAD, PAC,(use dual) or Manual (use single))

To uninstall old version completely, I must remove the folders manually... That was another incident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Mozilla Firefox and Windows XP(sp3)

i have uninstalled flash and still cannot install version 11.4

my error message reads as follows:

Line: 1

Char: 10447

Error: 'ActionLaunchAdobe' is undefined

Code: 0

URL: http://127.0.0.1:1174/app/_js/adobe.js

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? [yes] [no]

doing either option results in a failed installation. any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines