Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Windows 7/RH 9 Conflict

Aug 28, 2012 7:45 AM

Tags: #search #bug #windows #7 #feature

We upgraded to Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago, and since that time we've experienced problems using the Search feature. When you type in a word that is DEFINITELY in one or more topics, the Search results are "no topics found." It doesn't matter if the word is in quotes or not in quotes. It doesn't matter if it's a single word or phrase.

I've asked the programmers to look into this, but wondered if anyone else has addressed this and has a solution. If so, please advise.

Thanks!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to namedujour

What type of help are you creating?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to namedujour

Not the answer I was hoping for.

I believe this has been raised recently so a search might help.

If not, first try a new layout (not a duplicate) and generating to a new location.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to namedujour

The fix is RoboHelp 8, 9 or 10. There is no way they will go back to RoboHelp 7 and fix it to work on Windows 7.

It is the location of the project that I am talking about, not the location of any outputs. Are we on the same hymn sheet there? RoboHelp projects must be on the author's PC, not a server or a network location.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to namedujour

I think Peter missed the part where you said you were running RH9 - it's only mentioned in the post's title/subject line.

I don't quite understand why you were thinking a RH update would be installed with a Windows7 upgrade. You should make sure first that you are up to date with 9.0.2.271, regenerate your WebHelp and check it again. To rule out the o/s (which I don't think has any bearing on this issue), try creating it on an XP machine - even if you have only 1 RH license, you can install it on 2 machines (legally - the idea is that you have 1 copy at work & 1 copy at home - only 1 gets used at a time).

I'd be checking to see if it's a Java/browser issue, myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to namedujour

Sorry about the RoboHelp 7 confusion, mind on other matters.

You said in one post "As for "location" the project is on a test server, a live server, and a secure server, and it doesn't work in any of the three locations" and that is what I was questioning about location. From your subsequent replies it seems the project is on your hard drive and it is the output that is on servers, that's fine.

If the patch does not help then go back to what I said earlier.

"I believe this has been raised recently so a search might help.

If not, first try a new layout (not a duplicate) and generating to a new location."

The problem might not have been Windows 7 before so search on something like "search not working". Hopefully though the new layout will help.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to namedujour

Do you have a backup copy of the output created on the XP machine before?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to namedujour

When you generated the help, it should have been created in the project's \!SSL!\WebHelp\ folder on your C:\ drive (that's your output - the project files are the source). Then you would copy it up to wherever you wanted everybody to see it. You may have been using RH to do this last step for you - that's called publishing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to namedujour

It's using Javascript - your browser has to be able to run the scripts.

Try another tack - take one of the sample projects, add a new topic to it with one of your "problem" search terms in the text, then generate WebHelp. Can you search & find the term?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to namedujour

Just what is the term?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to namedujour

Must be something weird about that word - I could get hits on "safety", "hud", "appraisal" no problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to namedujour

So 2 weeks ago you regenerated the help content with your new Win7 machine and published it to the webserver? Did you add more content at that time? I'm just wondering if you could wipe the webserver content and restore an old backup to test if it was generation of new help on the Win7 machine that's the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to namedujour

Pull a backup copy of the \!SSL!\ folder created under WinXP and try testing the search with that - you're trying to figure out if generating under Win7 has any impact; that would remove the Win7 aspect. If that backup of the help doesn't work, then it obvious that Win7 has nothing to do with the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to namedujour

You said you used an old XP version of the project, then recompiled it in your Win7 environment - right? That doesn't prove or disprove anything - you need the original help output from XP, not the project, to test with.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to namedujour

Hi there

Just a small suggestion of something to try here. When you examine the Single Source Layout recipe, look at the Search options. Is the option for enabling Substring Search enabled? If so, try disabling it and see what happens. LIkewise, if it's not enabled, try enabling and see if anything changes.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

The point Jeff is making and that I don't think you are picking up on is to simply get the XP output from a backup and put that on the server, not to  generate it again.

In your XP project we are assuming you have generated an output and then that has been published to the server. What you need to do is go back to the XP backup and extract it again so that it has not been worked on under Windows XP. Locate the output that is there from when you generated using XP and simply copy that up to the server using Windows Explorer or an FTP client. Do not even open the project in RoboHelp.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to namedujour

You are copying the old output into the project but then how do you get that to the server?

You have to copy it manually to the server from the old project output. You must not touch it with RoboHelp. Use an FTP client such as FileZilla. Talk to your developers if you have not done that before.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to namedujour

Not necessarily - you need to take that old XP SSL output & FTP/copy it to your webserver; then test it - still screwed up? Then it's nothing to do with Win7; works fine? - now we're getting somewhere.

You haven't proved this basic point yet in all your flailing around.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to namedujour

Can you zip up the backed up old XP \!SSL!\WebHelp\ output folder and e-mail it to me - send me a PM to get my e-mail address. I'd be happy to test it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to namedujour

Just thought I would post an update on this thread. @namedujour sent me the whole archived project all zipped up.

I unpacked it on both a WinXP and Win7 with an instance of RH9 on both machines. The "raw" SSL WebHelp output was tested first on the XP machine to see if it "worked" with the search terms that were giving @namedujour an issue before. It worked fine - so the next step was to rename the original output and open the project in RH and regenerate the WebHelp. Next I tested it and it worked fine again.

The next test was to check the "raw" output on the Win7 machine - it behaved fine there too. Opening the project and regenerating the help produced WebHelp that had no problem finding the search terms that weren't working before.

I communicated my results back to @namedujour. I think that I've proved fairly conclusively that Win7 has no impact on the WebHelp output created.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

Could the topic in the Windows 7 copy somehow have the Exclude from Search setting turned on?

Also, it may not be relevant, but when opening the URL above using Opera (browser) the Search pane displays "Error: Failed to initialize database", then 'null' when Go is clicked. Just wondering if this could help identify the problem, even though IE does not display this error?

Amebr

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to namedujour

When you right-click and choose Properties...

Look at the General tab.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Jeff_Coatsworth

Jeff,

I have the exact same issue between a project compiled on Win 7 failing the search and XP64 Search working.

I just don't agree there is not issue here. I have the project  on two different laptops on running Xp the other running win 7 with the project on my USB drive and it works just fine on XP but fails every time on Win7.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points