Skip navigation
JMattero
Currently Being Moderated

RunDLL or sp.dll problem

Sep 5, 2012 6:14 AM

Hello:

For the last few months, whenever I restart my computer, I get the following  message:

"RunDLL" is in the top border of the window.

The body of the error message says "There was a problem starting C;\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\sp.dll The specified module could not be found".

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron laptop with 4 GB memory.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I was thinking about deleting Adobe from the computer and then re-downloading it, but I am not sure if that is necessary or advisable.

Thanks.

JMattero

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to JMattero

I am very concerned that this might not be an Adobe file at all, but a virus or similar hiding in an Adobe folder. However...the message seems to actually say that the file sp.dll doesn't exist. That might be a good sign. Have you had an antivirus (or antispyware) fix anything at the time this started?

Uninstalling Adobe Reader isn't likely to make the slightest difference, I don't think it's involved.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to JMattero

Well, as I said it is possible that the virus is already gone. The message seems to clearly show that a file is not there - just that whatever removed the virus left this (harmless?) effect behind.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

By the way, if you are satisified the virus is gone you can just stop whatever is trying to run it. Maybe this will work... From a run box type 'msconfig' and select the Startup Tab. You can uncheck the applications you wish to stop from loading with windows

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to JMattero

Yes, that is exactly what is causing that error popup during Windows startup.  Delete or disable it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points