Skip navigation
maggie_smith
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 breaks drag and drop attachments in Lotus Notes

Sep 5, 2012 6:48 AM

Our organization has about 30 users using CS6 on Macs running 10.7.4.  We use Lotus Notes 8.5.3 as our email client.  It seems that once CS6 is installed on these machines, dragging attachments out of emails to your desktop or other folder breaks.  If you uninstall CS6 on these machines, drag and drop within Lotus Notes starts working again, so it would seem that CS6 is the culprit.  Has anyone else experienced this issue and possibly have a fix?

Thanks,

Maggie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to maggie_smith

I think you’d probably have more luck checking with Lotus.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to maggie_smith

We are experiencing the same issue, but it's affecting only some of us. I was hoping there was an answer here, but at least I'm not alone.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to maggie_smith

I posted the question in the Lotus Notes community forums, we'll see if we get any answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to maggie_smith

Same here. On each Mac that we've upgraded to CS6 the drag and drop in Notes is broken. That includes just an upgrade to Illustrator CS6 as well as the entire suite.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Got this snarky response in the Notes forums:

I thought everything in MacLand 'just worked'!

Switch to Windows and uninstall CS6...

Sorry...not very helpful.

Are there any settings in CS6 that deal with the the way the drag/drop feature works?
    If you uninstall CS6 does it work again?
    What happens on a Windows setup?

FWIW, a Google search turns up some hits that make it look like drag/drop can be problematic with CS6 on Macs (but no Windows, go figure).  You may need to open a call with Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to maggie_smith

Here's a link to the Lotus Notes forums, maybe if enough of us post our issues, they'll see them!

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/nd85forum.nsf?OpenDatabase

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to maggie_smith

Any further information on this issue? Up until a couple of days ago, I was running Lotus Notes 8.5.3, OS X 10.7.4, and Adobe CS6, and drag-and-drop worked fine. Since then, the 10.7.5 upgrade came out, and Adobe Application Manager did its thing once or twice (I don't recall what it updated), and now drag-and-drop is a no-go. Annoying, especially since I'd imagine both parties are going to point their finger at the other when assigning blame.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to BMillerMCC

I have done some searching online and finally found this: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1LO70986

Basically, "too bad, use the paperclip"

Message was edited by: Jacki Howard

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to blackcat725

Thanks for the update. I'd imagine I'm not the only one who's not terribly surprised by Lotus' response.

If it's at all helpful, you can reduce the number of additional clicks needed to attach a single file to exactly two: after you click the paperclip, drag your file from the Finder into the "Create Attachments" window (just as you normally would when dragging a file directly into the message)—it'll automatically be selected, and then clicking "Create" will complete the process.

Not as simple as drag-and-drop, but better than navigating through the file struction using the "Create Attachments" window when you already have the file you're looking to attach selected in the Finder.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to BMillerMCC

Thanks for the tip, that will at least save some navigation time!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:15 AM   in reply to maggie_smith

I've fixed this one at our place.

Change users mail file priviliges from editor to manager. in Lotus Notes Admin.

On the client, select "advanced menus" under "view" then under file select 'applications", "replace design" and select 8.5 and "folder" upgrade. Once done it's working ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to TobiasHall

There are a few choices, which one? I tried the "Mail (R8.5)" and it didn't work. Thanks!

replacedesign.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to TobiasHall

I already have Manager privileges in my Notes and I'm still having this issue.  I'm on Notes 8.5.3 and using that design, what version are you running?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to flux1968

I found that is something within the Illustrator app causing the issue.

I tested this by compressing (zipping) the "Adobe Illustrator CS6" folder, and deleting the uncompressed folder so that only the zipped file was in my Applications folder. Once I did this, drag and drop worked.

Once I uncompressed the "Adobe Illustrator CS6" folder back into the Applications folder, drag and drop stopped working again.

I managed to get drag and drop to continue to work with the following steps.

1. Copy the entire "Adobe Illustrator CS6" folder to a thumb drive.

2. Compress (zip) the "Adobe Illustrator CS6" folder that is in your Applications folder.

3. Delete the uncompressed "Adobe Illustrator CS6" folder that is in your Applications folder, and empty the trash.

4. Run the Illustrator application off of the thumb drive. it will state "The Application has been moved...". It will give you the options to Update, or Do not update. You will need to select "Update"

5. Let Illustrator launch completely, then quit it, and eject your thumb drive.

6. Uncompress the "Adobe Illustrator CS6" that is in your Applications folder back into your Applications folder.

7. Delete the compressed file.

You should now be able to run Illustrator from your Applications folder, and have drag and drop work in Lotus Notes.

Waymond Trimmer

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to waymondt

I tried the first part and it worked! I don't have time today, but I will try part 2 and see, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, thanks!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to waymondt

SUCCESS! Your fix worked, thanks so much!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to waymondt

This worked for me as well. I'm curious if simply uninstalling, then reinstalling Illustrator would work in a similar fashion. Also, let's all keep our fingers crossed that drag-and-drop doesn't get fubared again on the next Illustrator update.

All that aside, thanks, waymondt, for figuring this out. Attaching files the non drag-and-drop way was getting old really fast.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to BMillerMCC

Glad I could help.

Uninstalling, then reinstalling Illustrator doesn't work. I reinstalled multiple times while trying to figure it what was causing the issue. As soon as Illustrator is reinstalled, drag and drop fails. You don't even need to launch Illustrator, or quit and re-open Lotus Notes.

I'm not sure if drag and drop fails because Illustrator is on your boot drive, or if it fails just because Illustrator is on the same drive as Lotus Notes. I dont have a spare drive to test it. However, I think if you were to have originally installed CS6, or just Illustrator to a different drive and ran it from there, drag and drop would of always worked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 8:19 AM   in reply to waymondt

UPDATE: Adobe CC also "breaks" the drag and drop feature in Notes. However, this fix still works! Thank you once again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 2:36 AM   in reply to waymondt

Wow, I can't believe this worked. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points