• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A way to show a rollover slidette in html5?

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I currently have a project with a image slide and "hotspots" that show slidettes when rolled over. How can I have the same interaction for HTML5 output on a tablet/phone? My slidettes contain text and a demo video, so the standard button action to show a text caption is not gonna work this time plus I like the option of closing the slidette when done. Any ideas or work arounds?

Thanks,

JKB

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

No.  You are incorrect there.  Captivate is VERY capable of creating interactive elearning for any kind of content.  Since plenty of other developers are quite capable of using it to do just that, perhaps the issue is not with the tool but the fact that you haven't as yet learned to work with it?

Are you still trying to use a Slidelet in content that you're publishing for HTML5 output? Did you not see the statement above that slidelets are not compatible with HTML5 output?

My guess here is that yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JKB,

Any object with Roll-over functionality would not work, for a simple reason, HTML5 mostly aims for touch screen based devices, and over a tocuh screen you can only invoke the action on Toch, Hover/Roll over would not be possible,.

Thanks an,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apreciate the feedback!

As my orginal note stated "I currently have a project with a image slide and "hotspots" that show slidettes when rolled over. How can I have the same interaction for HTML5 output on a tablet/phone"

I do understand that tablets/phones do not have a "hover" input, thats why I was asking the community if they knew of another way to have the same interaction where as maybe a button that would open the slidette? Maybe an action script that would make the button on success show the slidette? if thats even possible.

Not sure why they would not design a button with slidette for html output like the hover over slidette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since tablets use the tap as a replacement for a mouse click, why don't you try redesigning the interaction using click boxes and Advanced Actions so that when the click box is tapped it executes an Advanced Action to SHOW or HIDE a caption?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will work if I wanted to show a caption, but the captions will not hold a video, text and images in one single window like a slidette. Unless you know of a way to create a caption that will display all of these elements at the same time like a slidette, the show/hide caption isnt going to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With an advanced action you can show all object that you want at the same time, it is not limited to only a caption at all. Even a slidelet is not opening in a new window, do not understand what you mean by that?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slidelets are not currently supported in HTML5 output.  So you would definitely need to use a solution as proposed by Lieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let me see if i get this right, if we use rollover captions or slideletes in our Captivate pieces, and we want to have a similar capability in HTML 5, we have to replace all rollover captions and slidelets with advance interactions or click boxes? I know it would be easy to show items when clicking a specific area on screen, but how do you achieve the "hide" on clicking an object. Will I be able to show several objects, including a graphic with an X, and hide objects when the user clicks the X?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ONe more thing, like the original poster said in this discussion board, the great thing about slidelets is that you can have pictures, audio and different objects at the same time. I don't see how using clickboxes and advance interactions will allow me to display a picture and or video WITH  audio , or even synchronize the appearance of pictures with the audio. We would need a timeline to do that. The only solution i see is redesigning the content so that it is in a slide insteas of a rollover caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need timing, then it is more complicated, and since advanced actions seem to be rather new to you, in that case I would recommend putting everything on another slide indeed.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, great.. It is clear to me that we will have to redesign our content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Showing, hiding, enabling, disabling, those are all possible actions that you can include in advanced actions. For the X, put a click box over it (that you show with the rest) and attach an advanced action to it that hides all what you want. That is no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I insert a "click box" and configure On Success: Execute Advanced Actions to run a script that states "show slidette" the user should be able to click that click box and the roll over slidette should pop up right? I'm asking because it doesn't, you can click on that box all day and nothing happens.

Im pretty much at the end of the rope with captivate, it seems to be an excellent toy for making 4th grade quizes and HR videos on how to find a fire exit but when it comes to building a module with interactivity and delivering value based content with substance captivate is not what your looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  You are incorrect there.  Captivate is VERY capable of creating interactive elearning for any kind of content.  Since plenty of other developers are quite capable of using it to do just that, perhaps the issue is not with the tool but the fact that you haven't as yet learned to work with it?

Are you still trying to use a Slidelet in content that you're publishing for HTML5 output? Did you not see the statement above that slidelets are not compatible with HTML5 output?

My guess here is that you may be expecting Captivate to work in a way that makes sense to you, when in fact it was built with a slightly different mindset.  In my experience, you have to forget what you might have done, or how you worked, with other tools and just learn Captivate from scratch.  A lot of the frustrated developer comments I've seen in these forums over the years have turned out to be due to trying to use Captivate to do something the wrong way, or trying to get it to do something it's not meant to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JKurtBrown, I share your frustration--not with this particular issue, but with other ones. I don't agree with you on Captivate's capabilities. Captivate is a very powerful program. However, RodWard hit the nail in the head when he said "A lot of frustrated developer comments...due to trying to use Captivate to do something the wrong way, or trying to get it to do something it's not meant to do." The problem with Captivate (and other tools for that matter) is that because there are no standardized training tools to show you how to use the tool "the right way", we are forced to try to figure the tool out. Some solutions that may seem obvious to us, might not be obvious to others, and so on. So, we design the content using the tool the way that it seems obvious to us, only to later realize that we should have done it a different way.

What i am learning is that, to use the tool effectively, we must either spend a lot of time building complex things in it, find an experienced developer or solid training program to learn how to use it. Unfortunately, the latter are very few and cost $.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard,

I've used InDesign for years and this isnt an issue with it, so your right I need to learn Captivate from scratch and understand its limits. So far of all the examples of Captivate projects I have researched they are limited to question and answer slides, not alot of interactivity and all were pretty simple with very little content maybe a few quiz questions some 4th grade style match the answer to the question, some drag and drop and maybe a video to play and thats about it.

My current project is 150 slides so far with 30-40 slides housing 10-15 slidettes on each, with each of these slidettes containing some text captions, 3-4 png graphics and a demo video.

As far as "Did you not see the statement above that slidelets are not compatible with HTML5 output?"

I have to ask, did you not read my original question:

"How can I have the same interaction as a slidette for HTML5 output on a tablet/phone?"

So lets quickly look at what I have learned so far.

HTML5 does not support hover.

HTML5 does not support slidettes and Adobe did not consider that this feature would be needed in HTML5 projects with Captivate.

Advanced Actions cannot open a slidette from a click box.

Captivate is VERY capable of creating interactive elearning.

Someone replied "Use a click box and setup an advanced action to show a caption"

Got it. But I'm not looking to show just a caption, I'm looking to show a "pop-up" window that can contain text, a graphic and also a video like a slidette. Others have replied for me to use a new slide, but that's not the interaction I am looking to achieve. I don't want to leave the main slide, I just want to have a pop up. I have about 14 hot spots on a graphic on the slide and each hotspot opens up a slidette containing text, graphic and a demo video which can be closed up and another hot spot quickly selected. I do not want 14 slides to ref out to on top of the 150 slides already in the project.

Someone replied "With an advanced action you can show all object that you want at the same time, it is not limited to only a caption at all."

Sweet! Thought this is the workaround I'm looking for, but when I insert a click box with an advanced action to show the slidette on success it does not work. The cursor changes to the hand but no action happens in either HTML5 or SWF.

Only other way I can see to get this to work is to move the content to a new slide like suggested and, if even possible (??), open the content slide within the main slide somehow. I looked through the Adobe help and user manuals for Cap6 but couldn't find anything on doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a weekend of research, I learned to "group" objects and use the hide/show commands for a button to show the caption/video/images all as a group. Worked great on every device!

Thanks so much to everyone that made a comment and for the information, patience and advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thanks, best news I've received all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I was just reviewing this thread and your response after having recently developed the same frustration with Captivate's slidelet concept.  I think there is a broader point that's being missed here. The slidelet, in the abstract, is a means of providing a powerful slide-within-a-slide popup of sorts in response to an interaction or trigger, much like Storyline does with the layer concept, but not as flexible nor well thought out, unfortunately. Part of that power is in the fact that it acts as a container so that several objects can be conveniently laid out on this one animatable entity... So far so good. The real issue/problem is that Captivate restricts this nice container, the slidelet, to be used ONLY with rollovers.  Given that rollovers are the one, most obvious interactive object that  CAN'T be used with HTML5/mobile projects, the possibility of having a convenient popup container of this type is eliminated.  Why would Captivate developers do that, as opposed to making the slidelet generic so it could also work for click-oriented objects and so that the HTML5 output could be as "similar" as possible (in other words, the concept of a slidelet and the concept of a rollover are independent and separate concepts, so why marry them in such an exclusive and limiting way). 

So, this isn't just an issue about adjusting expectations/mindset to fall in line with what a tool's  philosophy is, it's really more to do with the bewildering choice Captivate developers made to restrict the much-needed and powerful slidelet concept (one that is arguably among the most essential in many types of interactive design) to only one type of interactive object -- the very object that falls by the wayside for mobile/html5.  This seems more like an oversight than a tool philosophy.

That said, there is the alternative of grouping objects and having a click-based object show/hide the group. This is a fairly crude workaround though, as groups can't be animated or have effects applied as a whole, like slidelets can.

- Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug,

I think something that needs to be remembered here is that the slidelet object pre-dates (by several years) any thoughts Adobe might possibly have had about HTML5. 

Slidelets have been in Captivate since about version 3 (if memory serves) but they were never a very successful implementation of the concept in my view. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you that Storyline's layers concept and the way you can set up triggers to display those layers on a slide is a far more flexible and useful way to handle what slidelets attempt to do.

I'm hopeful that Adobe has also noticed that Storyline got the jump on Captivate with their layers feature (as well as a few other features) and are currently feverishly working out how to catch up and pass Articulate with Cp's next major version update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Yep, I agree that, in the early days, having slidelets linked exclusively to rollovers would not have  been seen as the big limitation it presents today for those pursuing mobile/html5 compatability.  I was really commenting on why this limitation has been allowed to persist in more recent versions (5, 5.5, and especially 6), during a period of html5 and touchscreen emergence that made it clear there is a major downside in relying too much on hover and rollover behaviours for interactive functionality. This should have been recognized and dealt with by now imo, especially given the obvious shift in emphasis toward HTML5 publishing that Adobe undertook with version 6.  The remedy could simply be allowing slidelets to be triggered by on-success of other click-based interactive objects -- doesn't seem like it would be a huge challenge as the basic functionality is already there, but that's easy for me to say --- Another widget opportunity Rod?

Anyway, I'm sure this issue has been registered and is being thought about. Just offering some encouragement.

As you say, and regardless of how people may feel about newer products like Storyline overall (granted, SL has a lot of catching up to do on the animation and advanced logic side of things), SL certainly provides a best-in-class approach and benchmark for flexible slidelet-like layering (which is weird, since Adobe products are usually king when it comes to layer-oriented thinking), as well as the ability (in SL) for any object to trigger states/actions on any other object/layer based on virtually any type of interaction.  I guess it's just another example of the laws of authoring tools: 1) At any given time, each tool is required to have a few gaping holes to maintain the interest in competing tools, and 2) the new kid on the block gets at least a short term advantage from a fresh design architecture that is  not "legacy-strapped".   In the long haul, having stiffer competition in this space should prove to be a good thing for all involved.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise that this is an old discussion but I've been looking for the same answer in relation to Captivate 7.

I too am surprised that the rollover slidelet hasn't been reworked yet, especially considering that we're up to CP7 now. Does anyone know if Adobe have any plans to incorporate an HTML5-compatible slidelet/container that is activated by click any time soon?

In the meantime the best solution I can find is here: http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2011/12/creating-a-screen-with-a-pop-up-with-adobe-captivate-5-5 although I'm worried about the development time involved when creating a project with multiple popups used throughout. Unless I'm completely missing something each popup looks like it requires a new advanced action of its own.

I have a lot of content waiting to developed that requires tablet compatibility and I think it might take too long to do in Captivate without this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slidelet are not available in Captivate 7 and nor in the update which we are working in the near future . So the best approach would be relook at your content to see how to accomplish the same /similar objective in an alternative way and I am sure you will find an answer . For folks going mobile .. expecting the same desk top experince needs to be relooked at

Suresh J

Captivate Engineering team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suresh, I can very much see the rollover slidelet functionality in Captivate 7. Guess you misinterpreted it for some other option.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant Captivate 7 HTML 5 out put .. thanks for pointing my error

-Suresh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources