Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New Downloads Cycling, Not Installing

Jul 11, 2012 8:35 PM

I'm having problems with the Adobe Help AIR application. When there is new content, it goes through the motions of downloading it, then it shows the content which was downloading as not installed. When I quit application and reopen, it shows the same download available as it did before, not yet downloaded. Here illustrations to show the sequence:

(1) Content is available:

Help1.jpg

I click Download, and the process begins.

(2) Downloading:

Help2_downloading.jpg

(3) Download continues:

Help3_downloading.jpg

(4) The content is presumably "integrating". I see a spinning circle of activity (but not shown in the screen capture).

Help4.jpg

(5) Failure.

Help5.jpg

(6) I click Done. I quit out of the Adobe Help Manager. When I reopen it, I'm back at step #1

Help6.jpg

Suggestions?

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Hi Steve:  we usually see this when there are corrupt configuration files;  please try the procedure outlined here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/help-application-doesnt-updat e.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Hi Steve:  okay, let me escalate this to engineering and see what's going on. I'll get back to you shortly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Hi Steve:  can I ask you to try one more thing?  The Help Manager should allow you to update the files ala carte (rather than in the bulk download). It would help us debug the issue to see if that portion is working.  Can you try the following?

1. From any CS6, open Help

2. Go to the Local Content tab (shown in your screenshot above)

3. Click on a single PDF that is shown as shown as "out-of-date"

4. Click the Update button in the lower left.

5. Click Open PDF

If the individual file update process is working then the problem might be in the bulk extraction/installation process.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Mark Nichoson

I have been experiencing exactly the same issues since I installed Master Collection CS6.  The suggestion to click UPDATE for individual PDFs is not successful.

They download but, once done, the same 'Out-of-Date' message appears.

This is the same for every CS6 program from the Master Collection.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Thanks for the update -- can you open the PDFs by clicking the "Open PDF" button? 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 1:41 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Has there been any resolution to this Adobe Help Manager bug? I'm experiencing the exact same problems and the delete/reinstall fix does not work - I keep getting the following error:

"This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

I did start a discussion about this error some weeks ago but received no reply. So much for "Ask our Experts. Our community is at your service 24/7"

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to sharpshooterltd

Hi Sharpo:  that particular error message sounds like it might be related to the AIR runtime itself.  Are you up to date on the latest version of the runtime?  Please try following the steps outlined on this KB doc: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/help-application-doesnt-updat e.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 12:26 AM   in reply to Mark Nichoson

Hi Mark. I tried the steps in the KB article but still kept on getting the "installer has been mis-configured" error when I tried to reinstall Adobe Help Manager. After quite a long while trying to find a workaround I stumbled on the source of the problem: the Adobe Help Manager installer attempts to install the AIR app too - even if it hasn't been uninstalled and is the latest version - then fails every time with the "mis-configured" error. By chance, I moved the installer dialogue box and, lo and behold, there was a duplicate installer dialogue box behind it doing the exact same thing. (And, no, I hadn't left another installer open by mistake - if that's possible.) So, yes indeed, the installer is mis-configured.

The workaround I found is - unlike the routine detailed in the KB article - to uninstall BOTH apps (not just to check that AIR is the latest version) then make sure to install the AIR app before installing the Adobe Help Manager. Worked like a charm.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to sharpshooterltd

That's great news -- thanks for the extra tip to uninstall both the runtime and the Help Manager.  We will update the KB doc with the additional recommendation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points