Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print PDF file with out using Adobe Reader

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to print sequence of static PDF files with out opening it in Adobe Reader.

Is there any way to create a application which will print the PDf file with out opening it in Adobe Reader.

Thanks,

Shanthi

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could try taking a look at the PrintJob Class

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ShanthiFlash,

I was wondering if you ever figured this out.  I need to be able to do the same thing.

Thanks,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Adobe post has a lot of information on the subject and many angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking time to respond, but all those examples are based on having the PDF displayed in the browser.  I need the ability to just have a button on the page that says "print" and the user cannot see the document.  The print button will kick off via AS3 (or some other means) a request to the server for the PDF contents (streamed back) and the script then formats it in some way to be able to print it.  Again, all without the user even seeing the document contents or having direct access to the PDF.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StageWebViews can be completely off-screen, but exist. I didn't read the entire thread but what they seemed to suggest was making a custom webpage that embedded the PDF as an object with some javascript to request the print. The caveat is of course JavaScript cannot forcibly print something without the user needing to accept the print job. Otherwise websites would auto-print things on you all the time.

If this is an application, and I hope it is because you can't do it otherwise,  you're going to need some external help from a 3rd party app.

A couple routes to consider is a command-line PDF printing utility that you can invoke. Developing that command line utility yourself shouldn't be too hard in c# or whatever other language you may be familiar with as well. Another route is using an existing AS3 library that can read PDFs like purepdf to render the contents of a PDF and offer up the results to the PrintJob class. The latter route may sound like the obvious choice but not all PDFs will be perfectly supported. It's up to you to give them a try and see how clean your PDFs print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sinious,

Thank you.  I understand we cannot forcable print, and that is not desired.  We want to allow the user to initiate a print without seeing the PDF.  Nothing nefarious, just a seudo-security feature.  So, this will not be an an application.

I will look into the StageWebViews and purepdf solutions you suggest.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines