Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
bendmchugh09
Currently Being Moderated

Photos not transferring from ACR to photoshop

Sep 4, 2012 7:20 PM

Tags: #cs4 #camera_raw #adobe_camera_raw

Hi.  I am using CS4 and am having trouble with the ACR plug in connecting with Photoshop.  When I click "open image" in ACR, Photoshop opens and pops up the "open as" dialog box.  Then if I try to open the file it says "file type not supported."  I just installed the ACR 5.7 update a couple days ago, but last night everything worked perfectly, then it didn't? Tonight I got it to work somehow, but now not working again. I am able to open the images in ACR and edit.  Windows 7,  Intel Core i3 2350m, 64 bit operating system  Thanks for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to bendmchugh09

Could you post a screenshot of your workflow options as shown in what looks like a link under the ACR preview dialog box.

Maybe that will tell other Windows users like you something. 

apple_icon_gray_small.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to bendmchugh09

When PS pops up that box that it shouldn’t be, can you change where it says PSD to Camera Raw using the dropdown nd see if it continues properly?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 5, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to bendmchugh09

Something's definitely fubar.  It's not supposed to pop up the Open dialog.

Are you sure you have exactly one copy of Camera Raw installed?  Do you see only one in Help - About Plug-in...?  And is it the expected version?

On a Windows 7 x64 system this is where the Camera Raw plug-in files should be located:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

Normally there are no other .8bi files in those folders.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 6, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to bendmchugh09

Keep in mind there are two versions, a 64 bit one and a 32 bit one.  You have to get each one in the right place.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The initial post mentions CS4.  Is it true that there was only a 32-bit version of Bridge for CS4?  Since the problem appears to be intermittent, I am going to guess that sometimes the 32-bit version of PS is open and sometimes the 64-bit version of PS is open and one of those versions doesn’t have ACR installed properly, while the other one does.  If the version of PS that has ACR installed properly is open then things work ok.  If it is not then things don’t.  To test this theory open the 32-bit version of Photoshop, do a Help / About Plug-in… / Camera Raw… and try opening a raw file and see if ti works, then repeat the process for the 64-bit version of Photoshop and see if there is any difference.

As Noel says, there is a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the Camera Raw.8bi plug-in 5.7 and each of these has to be in the corresponding folder—you can’t just copy one into the other and expect things to work.  It might be best to delete both the Camera Raw.8bi plug-ins and re-install the update, again, and check both CS4-versions of the folder paths Noel mentions and see that there are two different files, with similar dates but the 64-bit one being slightly larger, I think, or at least a slightly different size than the 32-bit one.

As far as where to find the Photoshop.exe’s for 32-bit and 64-bit PS CS4 if you don’t have both shortcuts with explicit labels, the 32-bit one is under Program Files (x86) and the 64-bit one is under Program Files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 7, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

The initial post mentions CS4.  Is it true that there was only a 32-bit version of Bridge for CS4?

Yes, exactly correct, and also true for Photoshop CS5.  Photoshop CS6 has the first 64 bit Bridge.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points