We are authoring a new RH child project in RH10. The RH parent project was authored by our business partner in RH9, therefore the style sheets, master pages, skins, etc. are also all in RH9. Does anyone know of any backwards compatability issues with a RH10 child project working with a RH9 parent project? Our child works as a merged project with the parent and other child projects. Our child project will consist of HTML pages and some graphics but all style, layout, custom menus, and skins will be inherited from the parent. Thanks!
I found the posts from Jeff to Laurie however it was a different scenario. She was editing existing RH9 files in RH10, then replacing the old with the new, and re-opening in RH9. Jeff tested it and said there were no issues. However, my pages are newly created RH10 files that will need to work with RH9 parent files. I only have RH10, and our partner only has RH9. Maybe we should just try a test as well before full development starts. We are in the project planning stage now and this is an identified risk in the project plan. Thanks.
I have just created a topic complete with some content in RH10 and successfully imported it into a RH9 project. It even changed the <meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 9" /> meta tag. Best to test this with your content though.
I would warn you about any RH9 project compiled in Windows 7. I upgraded to RH10 because the Search feature in RH9 broke as soon as they installed Windows 7. The upgrade fixed the search problems. However...
When I began upgrading RH9 projects to RH10 I encountered bugs. The first one is that you cannot always delete baggage files that were in the RH9 project. You can only always delete baggage files that you add within RH10. I reported this one.
I also had some issues with conditional tags - I tried to rename RH9/Windows 7 tags from within RH10, and they grayed out on me when I tried to apply them. I haven't reported that because I found a workaround and didn't have time.
Also, the Table of Contents was fine if you published one project, but it totally disappeared in a parent project that had merged child projects. It just wasn't there AT ALL. So the programmer and I worked on that one for hours, until it occurred to me to work with an archived version of the parent shell that I'd generated in Windows XP. That solved the TOC problem. I also haven't reported that, but just be forewarned.
I don't doubt that namedujour has had these problems but it does not seem to be common. It needs to be established whether the issues are RoboHelp or the project. The fact that they did not occur in earlier versions does not necessarily mean there are bugs in RoboHelp.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Europe, Middle East and Africa