Skip navigation
mgrhine
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS2 PDF "unable to view this file"

Apr 28, 2011 3:58 PM

I recently migrated from XP to Windows 7. I'm running Indesign CS2 (all updates applied) and Adobe Reader 9 (only). While in Indesign when I export a PDF, I select 'View PDF after Exporting' then hit the EXPORT button. The PDF is created OK but I get this error message : Unable to view this file because Acrobat was not found. Check your Acrobat Installation. Adobe Reader works fine otherwise. Any ideas?

Marje

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2011 4:18 PM   in reply to mgrhine

Do PDFs open up OK in Reader by default when you click on them?  It's probably simply because CS2 isn't supported in Windows Vista or 7 because of it's age, if you ran it on XP you wouldn't have a problem. There is a compatibility mode in 7 that you could try, but seeing this is a problem with it not interacting with other programs correctly I don't have high hopes for you.

Have a look at this post here for some CS2 upgrade tips.  As Bob points out if you do have the money and need to upgrade now is the perfect time to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 12:51 AM   in reply to Stix Hart

I have the same issue with ID CS4 trying to open a pdf after export.

It comes with the following error: unable to view this file because acrobat was not found. check your acrobat installation

The PDF file can be opend fine using Reader.

Tried to repair Reader but with no luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to Mahj@Ferring

What's the OS? Do you have Acrobat Pro installed, or just Reader? What application is set to open PDFs?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It is running on Windows 7 and it does have Acrobat Pro 8.2.6 with Reader X also. It is set to Reader should be default.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to Mahj@Ferring

I don't know for sure, but I suspect having both Pro 8 and Reader X installed is the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points