• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting the "Not a valid widget" error when trying to insert a Smart Interaction into a Captivate 6

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am suddenly getting the "Not a valid widget" error when trying to insert a smart interaction into a Captivate 6 project. Is anyone else having that issue? Or more importantly, know of a fix for it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Action Script 2 widget will not work on Captivate 6,is that an external widget?

Is it AS2 or AS3?

Please elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is one of the new "Smart Interactions" that are part of Captivate 6. I have tried using both the button from the quick launch bar, as well as "Insert->Interaction" from the menu bar. Also, the project was created in CP6, not imported from a previous version. They were working fine earlier this morning, then around lunch time I started receiving the error. I created a new "Blank Project" and it worked fine. I just can't seem to get it to work in the other project that I have been developing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copy paste the slides in a new project and try if that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Please try after deleting the Preferences and Layouts folder and re-launch Captivate. If you have saved any of your themes in Layouts folder, take a backup of that.

If the issue still persists share the cptx with us, so that we can investigate. You can upload to acrobat.com and send the link to me -  nitikuma@adobe.com

Preferences->C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe : Delete Captivate 6 folders

Layouts-> C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Adobe Captivate Projects

Regards,

Nitin Kumar

Captivate Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to insert an interaction, Captivate closes. I also attemtped your suggestions about the app data and layouts folders.  It does not matter what .CPTX I am in or a blank

project. Thanks Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BrewsterEC,

Its unfortunate that you are facing this issue with Interactions, but we are unable to replicate this.

We would like to see this issue happening at your end so that we can investigate & help you out.

Please send me an email to nitikuma@adobe.com, so that we can have a Connect meeting.

Regards,

Nitin kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also getting the invalid widget error message when I try to insert a Smart Interaction into a Captivate 6 project, though so far the program doesn't try to close.  The project is one that I started in Captivate 5.5 and imported into 6, but I've been able to insert Smart Interactions into it just fine before this.  I searched for my preferences folder, but I am not finding the folder location that was posted in the reply above (Preferences->C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe) but I did delete the Layouts folder and restarted, but got the same error when trying to insert the SI.  I even changed the program preferences to run the program as an administrator, but that doesn't seem to have helped (saw that fix on another post).

Has anyone else found a cure for this, yet?

Thanks!
Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just played around some more and found that it's just some of the interactions that give error messages: Accordian, Tabs, Timeline, Circle Matrix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kim,

Can you please give us more details so that we can help you further.

Is it happening with a specific project, the one you upgraded from CP5.5? In a new blank project do you encounter this issue?

If it is project specific can you share the Captivate (cptx) file with us. You can upload to acrobat.com and send me the link.

(In the Captivate installed directory there is a utility inside the utils folder for cleaning preferences)

Regards,

Nitin Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but it seems to be only with the Timeline widget and only with a project that I started in 5.5 and converted to 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues on a new Captivate 6 project. The actions were working fine and then the Accordion, Tabs, and Pyramid Matrix interactions just stopped working and gave me the "Not a Valid Widget" message.

To get around it I opened a new project of similar size, created one slide with the interaction I wanted and copy/ paste it into the original project. It is not convenient, but it works.

Keep Smiling!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike! -- I was having the same issue 'invalid widget' the project wasn't imported from any previous versions. Opening and closing the project did not work.  Opening a new project the same size, inserting a blank slide and copying and pasting into my project worked to fix the issue. 

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that closing the file and reopening seems to resolve the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found that closing the project and completely exiting out of Captivate worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue but I am also not able to delete buttons off of the timeline once I am able to create it in the new project. Any ideas on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am using Captivate version 7 and I am having the same problem with ALL of the interactions; I cannot insert any interaction into my project without getting the "invalid widget" error. I am also not able to solve this issue by closing the file or creating a new project as suggested above.

Has anyone discovered a solution yet? I was so excited to get my new version with these interactions, and can't believe that I can't use any of them!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChappaquaWriter,

Can you please provide few additional info so that we can understand the issue better?

1) Are you seeing this issue on a Win or MAC machine?

2) Have you tried relaunching captivate and inserting an Interaction?

3) are you able to see interactions in the 'eLearning Assets' location.

Win location :- C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\Interactions

MAC location : -  /Documents/My Adobe Captivate Projects/Interactions

4) If the interactions are present in the above location, then can you please try inserting the interaction through the 'Insert>Widget> select an interaction from the above location' and see its working or not?

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Nimmy for responding.

1) My machine is Windows.

2)  I have tried closing Captivate and relaunching, and even creating a new blank project.

3) I do see all of the interactions listed in the folder you mentioned above. Which makes me wonder... should I have installed Captivate in a particular folder structure?  I created my own folder during installation, so the install and executable files are not in the "Adobe" folder (where the interactions also have a folder). Maybe this could be the problem? (It would be nice if it were that simple. : -)  )

4)  I tried inserting via Insert > Widget from the menu bar and still get the same issue.

Thanks!

Katie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!  I uninstalled Captivate 7 and reinstalled it, but this time I let Adobe install all the files in the default Adobe folder that it was suggesting to me (instead of creating my own location on the C drive for the install). It seems as though the installation has to be in the same place as the Interaction files, etc., which now of course makes sense.

Thanks Nimmy for thinking of the folder structure!

Katie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nimmy Sukumaran,

I am using Captivate version 7 and I am having the same problem with ALL of the interactions; I cannot insert any interaction into my project without getting the "invalid widget" error.

Yes, I find all the widgets in this location:

Win location :- C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\Interactions

When I try inserting the interaction through the 'Insert>Widget> select an interaction from the above location' it doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issue with Captivate 8.  Did you ever get this resolved?  None of the fixes above worked, and I've reinstalled Captivate and updated it to the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources