• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not use the Brush tool because there is not enough RAM? Photoshop CS6?

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That and I couldn't even save a project I was working because (There was not enough RAM)

My computer is running Windows 7 with 4 (3 usable) GB Ram, Pentium Dual Core; @ 2.00 Ghz

-I have allocated all possible RAM to CS6

-I set 6 scratch disks (the first two are 1TB external HDD)

-I fixed the file peeling so that there is quite a bit of it

- I have Photoshop CS5 still installed (it works fine) as well as Elements 9, I don't know if that could be a problem or not.

I like the new features of CS6 especially the new 5000 px brush, but half the time I can't even use it because of this problem! What can I do to fix it?

I mostly use it for digital art so the pictures get to be at most 5000-3300 pixels. I get the problem mostly when I use brushes at 5000 px. CS5 works just fine and it uses the scratch disks I emplace, it seems as though CS6 doesn't even use them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set all available RAM to PS your computer has no resources to run anything else.  With 4 gig you have to dial this back to 60-70%.

You are using software that works best with 64 bit system and min. of 8 gigs or RAM.  CS6 also puts a lot of demands on GPU that CS5 did not.  Time to upgrade computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't set an external hard drive for use as scratch.  That may be the root of the problem.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, you are running Win7 32-bit OS. Is that correct?

What are the full specs. of your Windows Virtual Memory, the Page File? What is its size, location, and is it static, or dynamically managed?

With a 32-bit OS, I would set the Page File to a fast, internal, physical HDD, set it to be statically managed, and size it to about 2.5x the installed RAM (~ 10GB in your case, and with a 32-bit OS).

That should provide more resources, and by being statically managed, save you CPU cycles too.

I also agree that you do NOT want to allocate all RAM to PS, as the OS needs some too. That will be counter-productive.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page files are located on my C: (My main internal HDD), the min is set for 5k MB and the max is at 9k. I backed off on the RAM too. I figured it was a bad thing to do that by I really needed to get these projects going and I was desperate to get it working right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try setting the Page File statically, to 10GB. Reboot, and then see how that works for you.

Please report if you are still getting the same error messages.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright I did that and restarted, everything seems to work fine. The only way I can get the Not enough ram error message is if I set the soft brush at 5000px. Everything else seems to work. I noticed the scratch disk size went down though, From (1.5 to 1.1GB) I don't know if that would be a problem later or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines