Skip navigation
LadivObara
Currently Being Moderated

Batch Resizing Help!!

Aug 29, 2012 4:41 PM

Hey guys, I'm using CS6 and I'm pretty inexperienced with it at the moment. I'm trying to re-size a large amount of images into sizes that will print 16x20 inch, 4x6 inch, 13x19 inch, a couple other sizes as well. My main question is how would I go about doing this exactly.

I'm looking for a step by step breakdown if possible and I would really appreciate any form of help. Also need to know how to batch them together or make a script (not sure what the proper term is) so that I don't have to go through them all and do it 1 by 1.

Once again, I have large images saved on my computer that i want to re-size to fit paper that i will print and it ranges from 16x20 inch to 4x6 inch. Maintaining image quality is also very important..

Thanks...

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 29, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to LadivObara

The first thing you need to understand is that the sizes you listed beside being diffent in size also have different aspect ratios,   Changing an image to print a different size is easy if all the sizes have the same aspect ratio.  When you also want to print a image with different aspect ratio you need to  choose between cropping and distorting your image into the other aspect ratios. Distort the image using some method to distort your images into an aspect ratio like content aware resize.  If you choose to do an automated crop you need to choose the area for the crop like the centers of the image.  It is posible to do however you must first deside how you want to handle changing aspect ratios.

16x20 is a 4:5 portrait aspect ratio as is 8x10

4x6 is a 2:3 portrait aspect ratio the same aspect ratio many camera capture same as 6x9, 8x12 etc

13x19 is a 13:19 portrait aspect ratio.

Many image come from cameras in a landscape aspect ratio you can rotate portrat to landscape  and handle all image as landacape  or program the script to respect the images orintation and change the aspect ratio to match the images orintation.

Make your choices and program the process.  Some Photoshop features can be very useful for process like this.  Menu File>Automete>Batch or File>Automate>Image Processor Pro.  Image Processor pro is a download from Russel Browns web site.

My crafting action package has two Plugin Scripts that can help you automate the center aspect ration crop and set tle print DPI sot the long side ptint the size you want.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 14, 2012 Changed AspectRatioSelection Plug-in script added Path support.

Contains

Example

Download

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 8, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to LadivObara

It sounds more like you new to Photoshop not just CS6 everyone is new to CS6.  You need a good understanding of the basic before you can do what you want to do.  Without it you will not be able to do what you want to do.  Even if I give you the step bey step you will not understand.  To show you I'll give you a quick step by step.  You want 7 print image sizes.  The easiest way I know to do this to create one action for each print size you want.   My crafting action package has two plug in scripts that will do most of the work for you in the actions so download my package and copy my scripts into Photoshop's \presets\script\  folder.  Also download the Image Processor Pro script from Russell Browns web site and install it.  The Script will be used to batch all you action for all your images.

First step is to create the seven action all seven actions will have the same three steps only the setting will be different  for each action.

The three Action steps

Step one menu File>Automate>Aspect Ratio Selection...

Step two menu  Image>Crop

Step three menu File>Automate>Long Side Print Length...

When recording the first and last steps in the actions there will be a Dialog and the setting used will be recorded into the action step the dialog will not be displayed when the recorded is played.

Aspect Ratio Selection  Dialog set the aspect ratios numbers like 4 6 order maks no difference

option center selection type rectangle replace any existing selection not path 0 feather

ARSD.jpg

Long Side Print Length enter length like 6

lspl.jpg

create 7 actions for your seven sizes in a crop action set

Use menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro

Choose input folder output folder create 7 jpeg tabs run one crop action per jpeg set file name sufix to the crop size like _4x6

IPP.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points