Skip navigation
Drewhoo
Currently Being Moderated

what about long strands o' text?

Sep 6, 2012 3:46 PM

Can you import a pdf or word document into premiere? what if I wanted to insert a list or words / text of names like a roster into my video?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to Drewhoo

>list or words / text of names like a roster

Search the help file for information on titles... it "sounds" like what you want is a scrolling title

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Drewhoo

PP can't import PDF or Word documents.  You'll have to cut & paste into something PP can understand.  A PSD maybe.  Or even right into the Titler.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Drewhoo

Cut and paste into titler from an open word document works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to Drewhoo

I often find that I need to create a Title with a lot of Text.

I create the Text in Word, or WordPerfect, and then Copy/Paste into a Title, created in Photoshop.

I start with a New Image, that has at least the basics for the Video, say an NTSC DV Widescreen 16:9 Image (PS offers several Video Presets), and then I enlarge the Canvas to account for my Text. Most often, I will be doing a Rolling Title, so that New Image might end up being 4000 pixels "tall."

If I only wish to animate that Text, then it can be Saved as a PSD with Transparent Background, and I adjust its Duration, to be what I want. I just did one such Title, that ran for about 45 sec., with a lot of Text, all Copied/Pasted from a WordPerfect document, so that I could also do SpellCheck on it. Worked a treat.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

According to everyone's favorite After Effects expressions & scripting guru, Dan Ebberts, you can load text from a text file into After Effects with code like this:

myPath = "/media/text.txt";

try{

$.evalFile (myPath);

eval(thisComp.name);

}catch (err){

"not found"

}

I find that lots of text is a lot easier to handle in After Effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to Drewhoo

Ah, the formatting from Word is not likely to translate directly. Now, as an option (one to test), maybe Export (cannot recall if this is under Export, or Save_As) as a PDF, and then Open that file in PS. Not sure how it will handle the formatting though. I have seen some odd behavior when going from a formatted Word DOC/DOCx to PDF, and I have Acrobat Pro Distiller.

Same issues can occur with formatting from WordPerfect to PDF.

Just thinking above, and it might be of no use to you.

Please report the test, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Drewhoo

Drew,

So glad that the workflow got you what you needed. I am always afraid, when typing out a process, that I will forget something important. Usually, it's much easier to DO, than to write about!

Some background: that 4000 pixel dimension WAS the limit (4096 x 4096) for Stills into PrPro, but that has changed. In my case, old habits... Also, I have never found the need to do a Rolling Title taller than about 4K pixels. Usually, by that point, I am on to making a second Rolling Title. As of CS 5, that size is no longer an issue. If my Title will only use part of the Project's Frame Size width, I will Crop in PS, just to keep the unnecessary pixel count to a minimum, as processing them DOES still require overhead.

As for the delivery scheme, if one will be working in SD, and a DVD-Video is one of the final output schemes, I think that the MPEG-2 DVD is a good choice. You can Export to that, using a DVD-compliant Bit-Rate (Bit Budgeting), for Import into Encore for authoring, AND also for distribution to the client. The MPEG-2 DVD is X-Platform, and that CODEC is common on most machines. WMP (or better), and QT Player, will play it.

As for transfer of AV files (and large Image files), I use YouSendIt. The file is uploaded to their server, and the client gets an e-mail with the URL. One can limit access to that file, password protect it, get receipt of the client downloading it, etc.. Though I have retired, I still maintain my account, and still use it, though not as much as I used to. There are other such services, but they were the best of the ones that I tried, back when. I have not investigated any others recently - I am basically lazy, and just stick with what works, and with suppliers, who do not let me down, even if there are others, with perhaps a lower unit price.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

PS - if the question has been answered, you might want to look over this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058744?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

If you have a version of Ae that will accept PDF files, you can zoom in (scale up) as far as you want and not lose resolution - as long as there are no bitmaps embedded.  Turn on Continuous Rasterization for the PDF layer.

Your graph may be a bitmap.  If it's all vector, you're all set.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Drewhoo

Drew,

if you are in the throes of convincing the uppers about the efficacy of forum-based help in lieu-of (is that the correct use of in lieu of?) anyway, of.... tech support , you know what I mean,  I will be a proponent in every sense of the defined term. Let me know or keep me updated, for I think this is a great tool.

At some "upper-level," it appears that there is a dichotomy of thought, regarding helping users of Adobe products. One group believes that all can be handled via Help files, and now that they are mostly on-line, they can be corrected, or ammended, almost instantly. They seem to feel that any/all "slack" can be picked up with telephone T/S. Another faction sees great benefit from the product forums, and the expertise of the users, to solve many problems, before the user with the problem/question goes to T/S. It is that faction, that most of us here support, and wish to help make their case.

In the product forums, that I frequent, I am convinced that the forums perform a great and necessary function, and do it very well - probably much better than the first few "levels" of T/S support. Part of the problem with T/S is that those first few levels encountered do not get a user to anyone, who actually knows and uses the program. They are really little more than "call screeners," with a very generalized script to help. This is often all too evident to the users. In a product forum, those same users, are usually corresponding with people who DO know and use that program. Those users usually get help more quickly, and it is usually high-level help. I say this in praise to the "regulars" in those forums, who donate their time, their experiences and expertise, in hopes of helping others.

Personally, I want to support those people, in any way that I can, and there is an Adobe team, created and funded, just for that purpose. I hope that they can make their case effectively, and that all Adobe management will swayed to realize how useful and viable the Adobe Forums are.

OK, enough OT (albeit "forum" related) talk.

I feel that you are correct - as delivery technology changes, and new delivery schemes and formats will be required. One creating material for the various new devices, will need to re-educate themselves, and do copious testing. It is a never-ending spiral of learning and development.

As for the flashdrive, I use those often. The only time, where I use a file transmitting service, is when the client/recipient is not local, and there is an immediacy, that Fed-X cannot meet.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I like your view on retirement. Thank you for sharing that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to Drewhoo

ooo - cynical. I am not saying you are wrong. Just a bit cynical is all. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points