• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 crashing on exit

Participant ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CS5 keeps crashing on every exit. I am hoping someone can identify a more appealing solution than the workaround I found.

Steps I take to reproduction the problem (with or without creating or opening documents between):

• Launch Illustrator
  • Exit Illustrator

Symptoms

Once the Illustrator application window and taskbar icon disappear, a message window pops up, "Adobe Illustrator CS5.1 has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution." The only option is to click the "Cancel" button. The window pops up again. So, I click the "Cancel" button again.

The following errors are added to the Windows application error logs (note the two different exception codes):

• Event ID: 1000
  • Task Category: (100)
  • Details:
    • Faulting application name: Illustrator.exe, version: 15.0.2.399, time stamp: 0x4ce0f2fc
    • Faulting module name: AdobeOwl.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4b958fed
    • Exception code: 0xc0000005
    • Fault offset: 0x5e78fe38
    • Faulting process id: 0xc84
    • Faulting application start time: 0x01cd86e83d5ab11d
    • Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe
    • Faulting module path: AdobeOwl.dll
    • Report Id: d0597ad3-f2db-11e1-b11d-c80aa9deb457

• Event ID: 1000
  • Task Category: (100)
  • Details:
    • Faulting application name: Illustrator.exe, version: 15.0.2.399, time stamp: 0x4ce0f2fc
    • Faulting module name: AdobeOwl.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4b958fed
    • Exception code: 0xc000041d
    • Fault offset: 0x5e78fe38
    • Faulting process id: 0xc84
    • Faulting application start time: 0x01cd86e83d5ab11d
    • Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe
    • Faulting module path: AdobeOwl.dll
    • Report Id: d1b2a25a-f2db-11e1-b11d-c80aa9deb457

System Specifics

• Hardware: PC, HP Pavilion DV7
  • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition
  • Illustrator version: 15.0.2.399 (up-to-date, theoretically)

Efforts to Remedy

Functioning or inconclusive workarounds:

• Launch Illustrator from a new Windows user account
    I got this one to work. But, I lose a lot of personal settings.
  • "Verify" Illustrator
    Member usgrant7 posted a solution (#5 in the discussion "Illustrator error upon closing") that worked for him/her. But, the instructions were too vague and unspecific to follow with any success. I haven't had success so far with contacting that member.

Common solutions having no effect:

• Reboot the computer
  • Uninstall Illustrator and reinstall (also tried removing various Illustrator settings folders between)
  • Granti full control permissions to Illustrator application folder (and all subfolders)
  • Launch Illustrator with administrative priviledges ("as Administrator")
  • Launch Illustrator in various compatibility modes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Finally, A FIX !!!!!!!!

If you are reading this for your own fix, you likely have TeamViewer installed.

"What?!", you say. "How on Earth did he know I have that on my computer?"

As odd as it sounds, TeamViewer with it's Quick Connect feature is the culprit.

Explanatory Hypothesis (Here's What I Think is Going On)

Since Adobe likes to be different even on a PC, they add their own computer code to handle the application's window dressing instead of standard Windows GUI architecture code. Notice the tit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you quit, Illustrator is trying to save your prefs, so try resetting your illustrator prefs. Or you may have a permissions issue, very common in WIN7, that is not allowing the prefs to write.

Adobe OWL is a shared library that provides a consistent look and behavior to the user interface (UI) of those Adobe applications that incorporate it. Adobe CS4 applications which incorporate this library include: Contribute, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Fireworks, Flash and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the Illustrator preferences is a great idea. However, it is also one I've already tried ("also tried removing verious Illustrator settings folders...").

I rather favor your idea on the permissions issue. I did try granting my user account permissions to everything Adobe. Plus, I tried launching Illustrator as an Administrator. Still, something could have been missed, such as a Windows process spawned by Illustrator or any other non-Adobe process.

Good ideas... keep them coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did get through to USGrant7 who had the success from the other post. However, the steps to "Verify" Illustrator do not affect anything. After reading the help files for SysInternals Process Explorer, I found that the verify button only checks signed program files to ensure the signature is still valid. It does not change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, A FIX !!!!!!!!

If you are reading this for your own fix, you likely have TeamViewer installed.

"What?!", you say. "How on Earth did he know I have that on my computer?"

As odd as it sounds, TeamViewer with it's Quick Connect feature is the culprit.

Explanatory Hypothesis (Here's What I Think is Going On)

Since Adobe likes to be different even on a PC, they add their own computer code to handle the application's window dressing instead of standard Windows GUI architecture code. Notice the title bar looks different than that of any non-Adobe software installed on your computer. They decided to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.

What I believe is going on is that while TeamViewer is running, it monitors for windowed processes (those you see as a window on the screen). And, for almost every one of these processes, TeamViewer adds a little button near the standard minimize-window button. This little button being added is called a Quick Connect button, a TeamViewer feature that let's you share your application's window with another computer running TeamViewer.

So, I believe that the Quick Connect button is causing the clash between Adobe's insistance on a non-Windows look and TeamViewer's assumption that every software publisher would use Windows GUI.

Solution

“Yeah, yeah. That’s all good. So, how do I fix it?”

Here's the skinny:

• Open the TeamViewer window.
  • From the menu bar, select "Extras" and "Options".
  • Select the "Advanced" tab.
  • Click the "Show advanced options" button and then the "Configure..." button (for "QuickConnect button").
  • Add "illustrator.exe" to disable the QuickConnect button for it.
  • You may also want to add "flash.exe" if you have professional installed, which is reported to have the same problem.

Good luck and happy illustrating without crashing every single time you exit Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I appreciate your posting this fix and sharing your hypothesis on the matter, I spent quite a bit of time finding the culprit and sharing it with the folks here back in January. We contacted TeamViewer and were able to find the fix and Wolfen_R shared the feedback received. It's great that more and more people are getting the solution to this ongoing problem, but it really seems as though you just found our thread and rewrote our solution and are now asking for people to "vote accordingly."

On the other hand, I suppose you could have figured this all out on your own without googling "Flash CS5 crashes on exit" or "Adobe Illustrator has stopped working when closing illustrator" so my apologies if i'm coming off pissy. I'm just one of those people who like to cite my sources and give credit where credit is due and I may have jumped the gun.

Again, so glad this is helping people and you're making the fix more well known and easier to understand. Peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point taken. I would not have known it affected Flash had I not stumbled across the discussion by Antons Zotovs. I have updated my comments on this topic citing contributions of yourself and others using MLA format.

Thank you for your efforts to resolve the issue and for sharing your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was pointed out that I failed to cite a source for part of the information. Since Adobe Forums seems to not allow edits to posts which already have a reply, the information below (of this comment) applies to all above references by myself to Flash.

Works Cited:

Zotovs, Antons, SntaCruz83, and Wolfen_R. "Adobe Forums: AdobeOwl.dll_unloaded - Help Needed." Adobe Forums. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Sept. 2012. <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4131161>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Open the TeamViewer window.
  • From the menu bar, select "Extras" and "Options".
  • Select the "Advanced" tab.
  • Click the "Show advanced options" button and then the "Configure..." button (for "QuickConnect button").
  • Add "illustrator.exe" to disable the QuickConnect button for it.
  • You may also want to add "flash.exe" if you have professional installed, which is reported to have the same problem.

Wow, thank you so much for the clear instructions. I've seen TeamViewer cause problems in some games before, but never a crash at launch until trying to run the game The Crew. I was going to just try closing it completely, but I don't want to forget to turn it on again. Thank you for solving this.

Here ya go Googlers: Output of Event 1000, Application Error that I received in Windows 8.1 Pro.

Faulting application name: TheCrew.exe, version: 1.0.4.0, time stamp: 0x54f9c12c

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x000ad570

Faulting process id: 0x1244

Faulting application start time: 0x01d065162735cb21

Faulting application path: D:\Games\Ubisoft\The Crew (Worldwide)\TheCrew.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 7985846d-d109-11e4-826c-fcaa14228e1b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running CS5.5 on El Capitan and I found that if I disabled the CSLive service it stopped the Illustrator crash on Quit for me. Also, my Illustrator preferences are now being saved too! However, I still have the Eyedopper crash, but one thing at a time...

So, if you're on a Mac and you don't use any of the CSLive services (does anyone?) then try this.

Go to the folder: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS5.5ServiceManager and rename it CS5.5ServiceManager.bak

This "should" also work with CS5 but I haven't tested it.

If you look at this folder again later you may see that something seems to rename the folder back to its original name but the CSLive service still seems inactive!

Hope this works for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amazingly, it seems to fix my crash on quit with InDesign, too. Why? What goes on in that folder, and other than Live, what did I lose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graham,

changing the name of "CS5.5Service Manager" works like a charm for me.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! I made the recommended change by renaming to CS5.5ServiceManager.bak and fixed the crash pproblem on exit. Many many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more information about this; it appears that whatever causes the crash is in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe/CS5ServiceManager/lib

changing the whole CS5ServiceManage folder to *.bak changes some of the preference options; for example, can't select document dimensions in inches (in InDesign). just changing the /lib sub-sub-subfolder to *.bak keeps every option I've wanted to use thus far. All that's in my /lib folder is CSXS-Installer-hook.dylib and ServiceManager-Launcher.dylib, so it's gotta be one of those.

Anybody know which, or what these do? I've also posted the earlier info on an InDesign thread, but all I got there was shaming me for updating my OS and not subscribing to CC. Big help that was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU !!!! I made the change to lib.bak in CS5ServiceManager and it works!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines