Skip navigation

Photoshop CS6 icons sometimes do not appear on Macintosh

Sep 3, 2012 12:08 PM

Tags: #missing #macbook #mac_os_x #desktop_icons
  Latest reply: bellevue scott, Jan 28, 2014 11:35 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Well now I can't get PS to write icons no matter what combination I try. Trashing .DS-Store, Starting PS the Shift key down, nothing fixes it. At this point there is no compelling reason to use PSCS6 so I am going back to using PSCS5. If Adobe doesn't want to have PSCS6 create guideline-compliant icons, then to h__l with them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Once this mess gets started by PSCS6 I can't even write correct icons from PSCS5. But I was able to get proper icon writing back by restarting the finder after trashing the .DS_Store file. Back to using PSCS6 again, but we will see how long this lasts?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Ok PS again started to not write icons. Closed PS and and restarted the finder. Now the icons that did not show up in the finder are all showing up, even though I did not trash the .DS_Store file.

Started PS I it is writing icons. We will see how long that will last.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Is it a case of the icons not being written, or are they being written but not being displayed?

I ask because if the icons on existing files suddenly show up after relaunching Finder, then they must have been written although you couldn't see them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to conroy

At this point that appears to be the case, but that brings up the question what is PSCS6 doing to cause this, that no other application is doing.

For those that are wondering this is a clean install of 10.8 updated to 10.8.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to Was DYP

right now i would be satisfied to hear Adobe simply say, yes, there is an issue and we are working on it......but having reviewed this thread again, I cannot find that anywhere..

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to captain1944

I started using COCKTAIL as prescribed in an earlier post and if I run it about twice a week or so I have had NO issues at all.  Not sure that this solves it but it keeps it incheck or remission you might say.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Well this time trashing the .DS_Store and relaunching the finder does not bring back missing icons.

So far finding any repeatable pattern to this madness have been unfruitful.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Please try the following instruction with a file whose icon is not displayed in Finder.

Select the file in Finder and press Cmd+i, or right-click the file and pick Get Info to open an Info window for the file.

Does the missing icon show at top-left of Info window? If not, does anything show there?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to conroy

I have tried that, and absolutely nothing shows up where the icon should be. Not even a blank white space and the area where icons should be is not even selectable.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Was DYP

See if the tiny app Icon Cache Cleaner helps temporarily. It's available from https://discussions.apple.com/message/16210239#16210239

I've checked it and it only runs a simple shell script which cannot harm your system.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to conroy

Conroy, do you ever see the failure on your Mac?  I apologize if you already stated that somewhere here; I didn't want to go back and read all the posts in this thread again.

If not, do you have any theories why it should fail on some folks' Macs and not yours?  I sense you're a system guru on the Mac side at about the same level I'm at on the PC side and I was just wondering what your thoughts are on what might be making it happen more on some systems than apparently on others.

I agree with you that Adobe ought to be creating the app icons per the documentation, by the way.  The written word trumps insider information.  Plus the evidence points to the older Photoshop working better with providing an icon set, so it seems a no-brainer to me.  But I also have confidence in Chris Cox's abilities to see the blatantly obvious and there clearly are factors beyond what we're allowed to hear about that are driving their direction.  That said, it really seems to me that Adobe ought to include an alternate icon generation process that can be invoked in exceptional circumstances could satisfy customers and not run afoul of Apple in a big way.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to conroy

Nope no help. It is to the point that it will probably take a reboot to clean this up.

Been trying to use PSCS6 hoping to pin it down to something specific, but in the end it just seems to come down to using PSCS6 to a certain point where it corupts the finder or system to where nothing will make the icon show.. I need to quit trying to figure this out and go back to a stable PSCS5 as It is hardly not worth the aggravation to keep trying to diagnose this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

>> The written word trumps insider information.

Not when it comes to Apple or Microsoft.

Again, direct information is usually more up to date than their documentation.

Also, please remember that Apple is moving away from resource forks.

The CS6 icons/thumbnails work just fine for most users.  We have no idea why some users are having problems seeing icons/thumbnails in some folders, sometimes.  We'll have to wait for Apple to get back with an explanation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 3, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

>> The written word trumps insider information.

Not when it comes to Apple or Microsoft.

Respectfully, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. 

I honestly can't see Apple or any big company responding favorably to "you told us on a phone call to do it this way and our customers complain it doesn't work" - as compared to "it follows your written specification to the letter and our customers complain it doesn't work".  Only one of these can be documented and escalated.

But as I have said, I'm willing to believe there are unseen forces at work here, and no more needs to be justified as far as I'm concerned.  I noticed the text you underlined in my prior post.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 3, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

conroy2009 wrote:

No, I haven't suffered disappearing icons and that prevents me investigating the problem to any depth.
    Perhaps an icon cache or some system file becomes corrupt when the non-compliant CS6 icons are displayed at a particular size.

I thought maybe you had a gut feeling that could send the search for the solution in a new direction.  Sometimes that happens.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Was DYP

See my post here. I think I've discovered the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Kurt...I am way way out of your league but I appreaciate your help. To clarify, are you suggesting that in lieu of re-installing Mt. Lion, I could simply re-install quick time?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to captain1944

No, you need to reinstall the OS. Something besides QuickTime itself is being damaged.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Kurt Lang

Thank you

@Chris Cox...any thoughts on this solution?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 4, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to captain1944

Why don't you try it and let us know if it works for you too, captain?  I'm sure Kurt would love confirmation.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

@Noel     not sure if I sense a bit of sarcasm,but in any event it sure would be helpful to have some feedback from the experts at Adobe....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, definitely. I'm hoping others will try this and can confirm or (hopefully not) shoot it down.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 4, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to captain1944

I'm sorry!  No sarcasm was intended, honest!  I'm genuinely happy to see that someone has made some strides with this (though disappointed it's not Adobe).

Honest to God I'd try it if I was a Mac user.  I love this kind of thing where someone FINALLY discovers a combination of steps that actually makes things work!  Assuming it's a genuine fix, great job Kurt!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

First off, I have to apologize for the following longwinded comment but there is a lot that has been missed here. I have been watching this thread for some time now to see if anyone has come up with a solution or even recognized the underlying problem. I am no expert but have been on the Mac since the Mac Plus and I do have common sense. There is more to this than just Adobe. It is clear that Photoshop CS6 writes icons differently from previous versions and if they would write as previous versions this particular problem would not exist, however, this is not the reason for the problem and not the only problem and it is not Adobe’s fault, it is definitely Apple and here is why.

There are more issues with icons (file previews and folder icons) than just CS6. Some icons are sometimes fuzzy looking and at other times sharp. For instance, half of the icons in my Dropbox folder are fuzzy and the rest are sharp. When this happens, CS6 does not write icons and previously visible icons created with Photoshop CS6 disappear.

Logging out and back in, all the icons are visible again and all icons in Dropbox are sharp and Photoshop writes icons again. This also happens to my icons of photos from many years ago, they are so fuzzy they are almost unrecognizable but after logging out and in they clear up again and have nothing to do with CS 6 or any other program. This is not a fix, only a temporary solution because the problem reoccurs for no apparent reason, sharp icons go fuzzy, previously visible CS6 icons disappear and CS6 can’t write icons, log out and in and everything is back to normal again.

I’m not the only one with fuzzy icons, the internet is full of frustrated Mountain Lion users and I hope Apple is working on a solution. So you can see, the problem is not just CS6 not writing icons, the problem extends to old photo icons/previews and also to folder icons. The two problems (CS6 and all other icons) are directly related because the log out cures both problems temporarily at the same time.

Kurt you suggested to re-install Mountain Lion, this again solved the problem temporarily, it worked for a week and after a restart the old problem is back again. I restarted a view times before and the problem was not recreated until just now, I did nothing else so I have no idea what the cause is except the occasional restart. Don’t waste your time reinstalling Mountain Lion, logging out is much faster and does the same thing.

Definitely NOT Adobe, it is an Apple issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to MoonRunner 1234

I never see this fuzzy then okay icon issue you describe. They are always sharp and always the same.

I also never definitively said this is an Adobe issue. Installing the CS5-6 apps does something, and reinstalling the OS fixes something. On the surface, it's points to an issue with the Adobe apps damaging a system function that a reinstall of the OS fixes. But without yet being able to to track down positive proof, it's no more than circumstantial evidence.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Kurt Lang

The missing icon problem finally popped up again on my system last week, after a 2 month absence. It sounds like you are on to something, Kurt. (And if I recall correctly, you are also a color display/color management guru non pareil, which means tons of cred.) Running Disk Warrior, then Cocktail (on Pilot) again corrected the problem for me. (The latter being the probable "fixer," though both repair permissions. I don't have the opportunity to invest more time.) Upgraded to Mountain Lion subsquently without problem (other than a font smoothing issue resolved by turning it off in General System Prefs and restarting). Sheer logic would point the finger at something Adobe did in CS6, even if Apple is also implicated, as CS5 and no other apps have a problem with icons. (I skipped 5.5.) So far, Chris has not explained how that logic might be faulty, but hopefully your tests have Adobe looking at new possibilities. Thanks for the intensive effort!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, this is absurd.  I have retouchers creating work  for me from differing locations.  ONLY Photoshop 6.0 files arrive without icons/thumbnails.  All others using older versions of Photoshop have no issue.  This is only true for 6.0.  It does not matter what OS is being used, same issue.  If Apples "thumbnailing might fail like that" why would it ONLY fail with Photoshop 6 if there is no issue with Photoshop 6.  That you are suggesting people go into and delete the .DS_Store to fix this is silly.  As I stated Photoshop 5.5 and older have no issues whatsoever.  As a matter of fact no other applications we use here have any problems with this or with creating thumbnails or icons or previews.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to 46tyie22nn

If you do a search on the net, you'll find that it isn't just failing with Photoshop CS6 (oh, and a few posts back someone mentions similar icon/thumbnail failings for other applications).

And it isn't failing for everyone (really, it's not failing for most people).

Also, please see the previous discussions -- this really does appear to be an Apple bug. We don't know the details of their bug yet, but logically it can only be a bug in Apple's code.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

This has become such a rambling topic that I don't recall (might have missed) a post about other apps with the same problem. Can anyone specifically identify such apps? (And can we rule out that the users in such cases don't have some other problem?) Finally, even if "most" users do not see the Photoshop CS6 icon problem, how many of them have simply not noticed it, don't care, or aren't saying anything? If there is a percentage of users, possibly a very large percentage, who don't have the problem, that would suggest there is conflict in the system configuration of the users who do have the problem. Except that Kurt ruled it out with his exhaustive testing of virgin system installations. A question that occurs to me is: How is it that no one at Adobe is encountering the problem? (And is that really true?)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Rick Meikle

I just did a quick search on Google for "Apple missing icons," "Apple missing icons open save," "Mac missing icons," and a couple other variations. Maybe I need to try other keywords, but I only found the Photoshop CS6 problem (a single result) and some issues with iPad and Final Cut Pro which appear unrelated, plus other "oddball" icon problems at the system level (Dock, Preferences, iTunes, AirPlay, etc.) that also appear unrelated. In fact, the most striking thing about the searches was the absence of issues, especially during 2012, and how what is there has nothing to do with the problem being discussed in this topic (except for the Photoshop CS6 results, of course). Anyone else finding evidence of other apps having the same problem? While we're at it, why don't Illustrator and InDesign (among other CS apps) have the same problem?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 10, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Plus it seems like because the thread has moved on to a new page, we've all but forgotten that one (apparently very knowledgeable) user (Kurt) claims to have fixed the problem by reinstalling OSX AFTER Photoshop.

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but Adobe ought to have worked around this bug by now.  This thread goes back to April  for Pete's sake.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,  Why ONLY Photoshop 6 then?  5.5 not problem, 5 no problem, 4 no problem, whatever OS version no problem.  ONLY 6.

Re: "(oh, and a few posts back someone mentions similar icon/thumbnail failings for other applications)" on occasions, rare occasions this might happen, but it's typically something that requires a finder relaunch or similar.  This is nothing like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I believe the only "wishful" thinking going on here is that Adobe will  address this.  

IF

Adobe truly believes this is only an Apple issue they need to resolve it with Apple.  It is still their responsibility to resolve it.  It is their product that is not functioning with the Apple OS.  It is their users who are using that system.  To simply blame the OS does the users who have purchased the product no good whatsoever.  If I create a product that does not function on a particular OS system I can't absolve myself of responsibility by blaming the system I have developed it for.   

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 10, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I have come to wonder whether Adobe has a mantra they force on their people that says something along the lines of "if we manage to trigger a bug in some OS API or driver we HAVE to make them fix it, rather than try to work around it."

I fully understand that when a product has millions of users someone somewhere will have pretty much every problem one can imagine, but this thread's onto 170 posts over a period of 5 months, and not every user reporting the problem is as dumb as a post.  There might be a hint of a systemic problem here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to 46tyie22nn

46tyie22nn wrote:

Chris,  Why ONLY Photoshop 6 then?  5.5 not problem, 5 no problem, 4 no problem, whatever OS version no problem.  ONLY 6.

Re: "(oh, and a few posts back someone mentions similar icon/thumbnail failings for other applications)" on occasions, rare occasions this might happen, but it's typically something that requires a finder relaunch or similar.  This is nothing like that.

I may have been to one that mentioned that but that was only in the context of, once this is triggered by PSCS6 then the fuzzy low res looking icons appear to be generated by PSCS5. But once this is cleared by a reboot or as someone else mentioned by logging out and back in, the icons created by PSCS5 are no longer fuzzy.

I have never see PSCS5 trigger this icon problem. It only seems to be triggered by PSCS6, once triggered by PSCS6 all kind of other icon problems seem to appear, but again I know of no other app that will trigger this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to Was DYP

Another thing I see that I have not seen mentioned is that the icon on the top bar of the image window sometimes does not appear even though the icon shows up in the finder.

Also the more PSCS6 is used the more likely it will trigger this behavior. If I only save a dozen images or so in a days time I never see this. But if I go through hundreds of photos at a time after a photo shoot, make miner changes, sharpening etc., after about 30 to 50 saves this icon problem will be triggered. I can clear it but 30 or so saves later it will reappear.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Rick Meikle

Just to note from the other thread I linked to, CS6 is where I'm having the least issues. Icons are always created. They are always crisp and remain that way. The only difference between the two after testing is that CS5 and CS5.5 continue to generate the occasional "permissions denied" error when you press Command+S to save your progressive work.

Finally, even if "most" users do not see the Photoshop CS6 icon problem, how many of them have simply not noticed it, don't care, or aren't saying anything? If there is a percentage of users, possibly a very large percentage, who don't have the problem, that would suggest there is conflict in the system configuration of the users who do have the problem.

I see the same thing over at Apple's discussion forums all the time. Users will point out how many other people are having "the same problem". Well, what do you expect? Most people who frequent the forums are the ones having an issue of some sort. It's like walking into a hospital and determining that since so many people there are sick, everyone else also must be.

(And if I recall correctly, you are also a color display/color management guru non pareil, which means tons of cred.)

I have indeed been at color and retouching for a very long time (about 7 years before there even was such a thing as Photoshop 1.0), but I didn't know I had creds. Do you happen to know how I can spend them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to 46tyie22nn

The maker of a car is in no way responsible for the condition of the road.

We have been talking to Apple about this.  But we don't have Apple's source code, so we can't fix their bugs for them.  We can document it, and ask them nicely to fix it, but we have to wait for them to fix it.

We already work around as many OS bugs as we can (and that's a lot), but we can't work around bugs we don't understand or can't reproduce, there are many bugs that simply cannot be worked around (thread scheduling, file system, OS memory leaks, etc.), and the OS vendors need to take responsibility for the bugs in their OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to Was DYP

Was DYP wrote:

Another thing I see that I have not seen mentioned is that the icon on the top bar of the image window sometimes does not appear even though the icon shows up in the finder.

Do you mean a generic JPEG/PNG/PSD/etcetera icon sometimes shows instead of a representation of a file's content despite Finder displaying a content-representative icon?

Or do you mean that absolutely no icon appears in a floating window title bar?

If the former, that will be normal and correct if the file genuinely has no custom icon but Finder is able to use a Quick Look-generated preview as an icon.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points