Skip navigation
petersundberg
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting a movie with the settings "nearest neighbor"

Sep 6, 2012 1:54 PM

Tags: #scaling #video #game #pixels #nearest #neigbor

Hello everybody!

I am trying to upscale a movie from an old video game. The resolution is 320x240 and should be upscaled to 1440x1080. The problem is that I don't want Adobe Premiere Pro 6 to upscale it using a chroma subsampling method (http://ingomar.wesp.name/2011/04/dosbox-gameplay-video-capture.html), instead I want to use something similar to the option "nearest neigbor" (the one you have in Adobe Photoshop when you resize images). Why I want this is because I want to keep the pixels from the video game sharp. Is this possible to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to petersundberg

You can't get from A to B and keep it sharp in this case.  It's just too much.  Follwoing are the scaling method's PP uses.

https://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/10/scaling-in-premier e-pro-cs5.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to petersundberg

Its like trying to make a postage stamp into a newspaper.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to petersundberg

petersundberg wrote:

Any suggestions how I will solve this problem?

i use Red Giant Magic Bullet Instant HD when i have to uprez, and they only recommend going up to the next step if possible (320 to 480, 480 to 720, 720 to 1080, 1080 to 2k, etc) to go from 320 to 1080... would just be insane to look at. i would recommend to do it like how they did the old sega cd games, leave it in a smaller box in the middle of the larger screen?

or you could open up a screen cap of the original 320 sequenece in photoshop, uprez that the 1080, and click "view actual pixels" if you can stand it at that point, then go for it. but thats roughly how it would look on the hdtv. in 1080i/p

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to petersundberg

So effectively increasing 320 x 240 to 1280 x 920 is increasing by a factor 16, not 4. Like trying to get 16 glasses of orange juice for a single orange. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to petersundberg

well, premieres under hood upscaling is atrocious (imho). go to red giant's website download a trial for  Instant HD and see how it works for you...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to petersundberg

And if you take a screen cap, import it into Photoshop and upscale by a factor 4 (with Nearest Neighbour) the result is amazing!

Actually, I find that up-rezzing with the Nearest Neighbor algorithm to be about the lowest quality of any of the algorithms. It came first, and is basically a holdover from about PS version 2.5. Bicubic interpolation was added later, and then Bicubic Smoother and Bicubic Sharper.

However, I am always working with continuous tone, high-rez digital photographs, and not screen-caps, so perhaps my material is not the ultimate to judge Nearest Neighbor?

Still, for a 16x increase, about the only thing that I can suggest (and this is for Stills, and not Video) would be Genuine Fractals (once Human Softaware, but acquired by another company). Still, that is beyond the max limit that I would be comfortable with.

Others have mentioned Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD, and I would download the trial, then test. That might be "as good as it get."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Keith_Clark

Andy,

While I have not used it, many around here have. It seems that the jury is hung with about 50-50. I think that much will depend on the exact Source Footage, the eye of the beholder and probably the delivery scheme. Still, 50-50 ain't all bad.

With the trial, the OP should be able to test, and decide. If Nearest Neighbor interpolation is working in PS, for a 4 x 4 increase, then Instant HD just might be the ticket?

To the OP, good luck, and please let us know if Instant HD does what you want.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points