Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video frozen in preview screen

Sep 10, 2012 5:01 PM

I am running Premiere Elements 8.0 with all the latest updates on the following PC

CPU                           Intel I5 2500K
System Drive:  (SSD)   OCZ VERTEX PLUS (120 GB)

CPU                           3.30gighhertz Intel Core i5-2500K

RAM                           8170 Megabytes  Virtual Memory 15.9 GB and Page File is 8 GB

Secondary Drives:        Seagagte ST31000340AS  (1000 GB)

Video:                         NVIDIA GEForce GTX 550 Ti  - Latest drivers installed

Operating system Windows 7  With all updates applied

All of my applications are on the SSD, and all my project and data files are on a secondary drive. This drive has been defraged and has 250 GBYTes of space remaining

I start a new project with default NTSC-DV-STD 48khx

I read in media from a Cannon optura 300 using a firewire connection using the option Microsoft DV camera and vcr.

The avi file that is created seems fine. I can view it using VLC or Windows media viewer.

When I drag the file to the timeline and try and view it, the video is frozen, but the audio works. ( when I use the play button)

If I simply drag the time arrow across the clip the video preview works fine.

gspot.jpg

I've gone through the forums in detail and tried to optimize my pc as per all the instructions, but nothing seems to help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

First, thank you for a very well-written post. Nicely done.

Back to your G-Spot screen-shot, if you look in the lower-left of that screen, there is a matix of buttons. Under Vid and Aud, # 1 is active. Hit each of those, with the file in G-Spot. You should then get the other buttons become active. Hit those, as they become active. Report (probably a screen-cap, if you get any/many errors) on what happens. The last step is to play the rendered file in the little G-Spot player window, that you will see, when you have fully rendered the file.

Everything else looks good, with only one question. You state that you have the latest nVidia driver. Is that per the nVidia Web site, or from Windows, or a driver utility?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I would say indications are more likely a problem with the way that second drive is installed. With your computer, DV-AVI video should fly!

Try moving the video files to your C drive temporarily and see if it still freezes when you add it to your project.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Kelly,

That seems like a bad sign. G-Spot is a rather benign program, and if it crashes, I would look at the file, or at the system.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

What are your Win7 compatibility settings for this old(er) program?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/compatibility

OR

If you have Win7 64bit PRO or higher, try Microsoft's Virtual XP

This is only ONE example of using Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693

-And a Tutorial http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/using-windows-7s-xp-mode-step-by- step/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Yes, v8 is "compatible" with Win7... and it MAY work better if you right click the icon and change "how it runs" from the default to XP compatibility mode

Your file is DV AVI, not divx

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

All I can do is echo Bill Hunt... if GSpot is crashing, you may have a system problem

In a case like this what **I** would do is make a copy of all my files to a USB drive, then DE-activate everything and WIPE the hard drive and start over by installling everything fresh, from Win7 on up

Before wiping, I would make a boot drive image... to be able to go back to where you are as a last resort

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
    Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to

make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden

registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore

the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
    Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a

plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a

hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or

re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Oh My!

If I was on a third SSD (I presume both previous ones crashed) I think I would give long thought to not using that type of device

Now, that makes me wonder if something about your SSD drive is the cause of your problems

Do be aware that the drive imaging program I use will NOT do a restore to a different size drive

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 12:25 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Have you any message about 'incompatibility driver' when Premiere Elements start ?

You could search in this forum on these keywords. One method I use is to delete the

file named 'BadDrivers.txt' in ProgramData/Adobe/PremiereElements/9.0 (my release

number), and restarting PREL works well.

I use this method sometimes on my Vista laptop. Seems apparently linked to

Windows updates generating trouble on graphic drivers.

Bonne chance

JM from France

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

I can understand your frustration.

With SD material, using the DV/DVC CODEC, your equipment should play and edit those files with ease.

It looks like your Seagate is 7200 RPM, and with SD material, the I/O is the main weak point, but you have 7200 RPM, which is just fine - a 5400 RPM could be a problem. Only thing that I can think of here is the connection (assume SATA), and its setting in the BIOS. Go to Setup from bootup (key/key combo can differ per the actual BIOS), and check there, that the Seagate is properly set up.

This might have been stated above, and I just missed it, so humor me. I assume that you have an NTSC 720 x 480 Project, into which you are Capturing your footage. Is that correct?

When you drag those Captured Clips to the Timeline, you should NOT have a red line above any, until you do something like use an overlay of some type, or add/adjust an Effect. Do you initially get a red line? You should not.

With your computer, if all things are set up properly, and updated to latest, you should NOT have any playback problems.

I do not think that I posted this link yet, but if so, ignore. See this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

It starts with a general checklist for getting PrE set up and running best. It then goes into a section on tuning up one's system and the OS. Last, is an extensive troubleshooting section, with links to other articles, and to tools to check, or fix things. Might be something that we are all just missing.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Your situation looks like what we find in the 'incompatibility driver' message.

Could you check the content of the Baddrivers.txt file ?

If you delete it, it will be generated again correctly when PE8 will start.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Normally, this baddrivers.txt file is located somewhere in an Adobe directory. In Vista it is located in

Program Data, I don't know where it is for Win 7.

I have read the exact location under Win7 somewhere in this forum, 2 or 3 months ago.

You could try a keyword search in this forum with 'display driver' to find the discussion related.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to JMJarrige

The FAQs, to the right of this forum, tell you where to locate the Baddrivers.txt file.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I just have swithched to a new laptop Win7, my Vista one having a fatal mother board issue..

To have access to this Baddrivers.txt file, I had to use Steve's FAQ discussion : you need to

have access to the hiden files, then the folder 'program data' is visible, unless you can't see it.

That was my case with the brand new PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

It might take a reply directly from Adobe, but it is MY understanding that it ONLY gets generated, when PrE encounters a bad, misbehaving, video driver, and that it is NOT generated under any other circumstances.

With the "video driver errors," one needs to do two things: update the video driver to the latest from the mfgr's. Web site, and then Delete the BadDrivers.TXT file.

Maybe others will have some more specific observations, and prove me wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 12:40 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bonjour

Bill, I encountered this issue without having modified anything in the display driver area...

And, with using the delete method only I obtained the return to the normal running of PREL.

I had this problem 2 or 3 times in the last 18 months, and this solution worked fine everytime.

As suggested by Steve Grisetti, it is suspected to windows updates in some drivers area,

only suppositions of course.

For Nuttu : when I change my rights to see hidden files, the program data folder becomes

visible, apart from the program files I can see in your screen, otherwise I can't see it.

And the baddrivers.txt file is in this 'program data' folder.

This file always exists, and if you read the content, you will find 'TRUE' or 'FALSE', depending

on the driver issue situation : I think it is a software switch used by PREL at start.

I don't know why you seem not to have access to this folder, but I can assure I had to unlock the

access to hidden to see it. I am a new Win7 user coming from Vista, I can't help you more.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

There is no Baddrivers.txt directory, it is a single file located in C/Program Data/Adobe/...

I suggest you try to have access to this directory which is hidden apparently for you,

by using Steve Grisetti link. Then you coud try to delete this file and see if

something changes.

It took me several days, the first time I had this problem, to find the solution.

You can contact Adobe support on their site, I used recently a chat with a support

engineer with success to solve a re-install issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Unfortunately, as what you describe is not a common complaint, there seems to be an issue, unique to your computer. You did try a new Project, with different Assets, that matched that new Project, with the same results, didn't you? With a unique situation, it can be tough to pinpoint the cause.

I have exhausted everything that I can think of, to no avail. I only hope that someone else has something helpful to add. I can say that PrE 8 was the most maligned version, that I can recall. Even with the updates (rare for PrE), some users never really got it working smoothly. Not sure what all the issues were, but it present headaches for many. For them, the final "fix" was to update to PrE 9, which seems to have been a good version. Same for PrE 10.

Good luck, and only wish that I had other suggestions,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to JMJarrige

As suggested by Steve Grisetti, it is suspected to windows updates in some drivers area, only suppositions of course.

As for video drivers being rendered obsolete by an OS update, or even a hot-fix, that is quite common. I have my Windows Update setting to full-manual, with only notification. That way, I know exactly what has been updated, and when. Then, I can plan on possibly heading to the nVidia Web site, to get a new video driver, if anything begins to not function properly.

I also will update my audio driver, at the same time.

Personally, though I recommend video (and audio) driver updates often, those recs. are when something ceases to work. I only update my drivers, when I encounter a problem. I do not do so monthly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Kelly,

I certainly understand. When I encounter a restaurant, that does not provide me with a great meal, and service, I will take a very, very long time, before I go back.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Ah, before editing, one SHOULD turn OFF, then unplug the camera.

As for the AutoAnalyze feature, what are your settings? When AutoAnalyze is turned OFF, it should not run.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points