Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 suddenly slow.

Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never seen this before. My 8 core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro has 10 GB RAM and a blank 100 GB scratch disk. Photoshop is always quick. Has been for years. Suddenly today, Photoshop is slow like molasses to open & save files. Lots of progress bars and wait cursors. Everything else on the Mac is fine. It boots quickly & normally, and other apps are happy. My boot drive, a clean installed Mountain Lion system, says S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified. In Activity Monitor, a process with ID # 0, Kernel Task, was using 700 to 800 MB RAM, while another process, mds, with ID # 44, is using 350 MB RAM. Does anybody know what is going on?

I should add that I booted from a backup system and its copy of Photoshop was also doing the same thing. In addition, a high level troubleshooter on Apple Discussions informed me that my present level of 500 MB RAM for Kernel Task is normal. So all I know is Photoshop is suddenly slow.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added any fonts?  If so could be a conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fonts added recently, thanks. I find it weird that my other drive with an older lion system clone was also exhibiting the issue. Makes me think hardware at some level... but I don't know what to do with that thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you connected to a network?

HAve you tried resetting preferences by keystrokes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not tried resetting preferences. Do not know about keystrokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset preferences on a Mac start PS and immediately hold down the Cmd + Option + Shift keys.  You should get a reset window.  If you see the splash screen you are too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset prefs, and the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you take your fonts offline?  Add a tilde in front of folder so PS does not see it.

I take it you are not on a home network?  Sometimes a computer connected, but turned off can slow things down, at least in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, yes, I am on a home network. Never had this problem before, though.

Can I take my fonts offline? I guess, but how would this explain that the same thing happened when I booted from an older clone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running out of thoughts, but fonts are one issue that in the past casues slow downs.  Some programs like Suitcase that handles fonts also cause problems. 

Here is a statement from another Mac slow down problem.  Does this make sense to you?  "I changed my cache tile size to 128 like it was in my old version of photoshop and this seems to have done the trick. Everything appears to be now working smoothly."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My cache tile size is already 128, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will methodically take my fonts offline tomorrow. I am burnt out on troubleshooting for todsy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ask this occasionally, but so far it hasn't helped anyone.  I guess I'll ask once again anyway...

Have you rebooted since it started happening?  Edit:  Never mind, I see some description of booting from a backup system in your original post.

There seem to be a number of other folks in your position.  I sincerely hope you get it worked out.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have rebooted numerous times. Interesting that you are aware of others with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary Politzer wrote:

I have rebooted numerous times. Interesting that you are aware of others with this issue.

I was thinking specifically of this thread:   http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1026715

There's a fair bit of noise in that thread, and at least some folks found the 13.0.1 update to fix things up or them.

You do have the 13.0.1 update, right?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, my version says 12.1. I have added my story to that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing font caches, which are very prone to corruption at any time, with a utility like Fontfinagler, Onyx or Cocktail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use FontAgent Pro, which has this accessory called Smasher, which I think is for font caches. Is that appropriate?

Update: Never mind, I used Cocktail to clear the caches. It had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came across this thread as I was having the same issues with CS 5.5 DreamWeaver. My PhotoShop seems fine so far... but for some crazy reason DreamWeaver is acting like Molases and really buggy... which is crazy as it's only a text editor which really shouldn't take that many resources.

I am wondering if Adobe has done some kind of update that could be causing these issues? Also note that I am running AE in the cloud... but the rest of the Adobe suite on my machine is installed with the 5.5 suite. Do you think running these two side by side might cause any issues? Most importantly of all I should mention that I am on the Windows 8.1 operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same thing happened to my CS5 v12.0.4 on Windows 7 Pro a couple days ago. Keep the story short, I've tried just about every solutions on the net and none worked. Then I launched Photoshop in Windows Safe Mode, that fixed it. Really weird, whatever works. I hope this will work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines