Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly

Feb 18, 2012 7:59 AM

I use Digital Editions to load borrowed library Ebooks onto my Nook reader as well as "returning" those books and then deleting them from my Nook. However, when I delete Ebooks, Digital Editions still leaves EPUB and ANNOT files associated with the books in the My Documents/My Digital Editions folder on my PC. I contacted Adobe technical support online chat to ask if those files should be automatically deleted from the PC by Digital Editions when books were deleted from the Nook and was told that the files on the PC would "get deleted in a few days." I told the support rep that I had files on the PC from deleted books that were a couple of months old. I asked the tech rep is perhaps I was doing something wrong in my sequence of: "returning" the book, then deleting the book in the library list in Digital Editions and then pointing to the Nook in Digital Editions and deleting the book there as well.  The tech rep then gave me a link to this forum to solve Digital Editions problems.  Not much help from him!  Now I am faced with an Adobe tech rep telling me that the EPUB and ANNOT files should be automatically deleted from the PC, but the files not being deleted.  He offered no explanation of what I might be doing wrong, but sent me here to find a solution.  Does anyone have any suggestion why my Digital Editions is not automatically deleting files as Adobe rep said it should?

Also, are there any Adobe tech folks monitoring this forum who might help clarify the issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Fred011

ADE doesn't delete the files (either the document itself, the thumbnails, or the annots) ever.  That's up to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to Jim_Lester

I'm late to this thread but I had the same question as the original poster. After reading your answer, I was wondering if you knew the reasoning behind Adobe's decision to never delete the files from the hard disk. Just curious.

Thanks,

Cliff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to cje20

It was a safety measure: disk space is cheap, documents aren't.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Jim_Lester

Thanks for the reply.

However, I have a small problem with your answer. When you return a library book, the book becomes 'expired' in the ADE library/bookshelf and cannot be opened and read. The only way to read the book again would be to borrow it again from a library or buy the book. Would this not put a second copy of the book in the ADE library/bookshelf? Seems a bit redundant to me.

Thanks again for your reply,

Cliff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Fred011

Fred011,

Sorry about that, my reply was intended for Jim_Lester. These forums (fora?) don't thread very well.

Jim said "It was a safety measure: disk space is cheap, documents aren't." and I just was trying to point out that when you return a library book you can no longer open it. Therefore, what is the point of keeping it on your hard disk.

Cliff

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to cje20

You have the option to delete it via a system utility.

===========

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2013 4:18 PM   in reply to Fred011

Really late to convo. Why can't Adobe do what Overdrive does on my ipad which is give an option of RETURN AND DELETE. How can I contact Adobe and give them some suggestions for improvements?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points