Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Eyedropper pick up the wrong color

Sep 7, 2012 2:32 AM

As you can see, when I pick up the color of the first square and assign it to the second square, the eyedropper clearly picks up the wrong color.

Any suggestion?

Schermata 09-2456178 alle 11.14.22.png

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Nice demonstration graphic!

What version of Fireworks and what operating system are you using? Color picker discrepancies were a known issue with Fireworks CS4 on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion):

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/known-issues-mac-os-10.html# main_Fireworks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

So are you using the eyedropper that appears after clicking on the Fill color chip?

I've heard a few grumblings of washed-out color or color picker problems in Mountain Lion, but nothing very clear. I'm wondering if Mountain Lion has made some color management changes. According to one online source, "When an image lacks its own profile, the system now defaults to sRGB rather than the main display's color profile". Since Fireworks is not color managed, a change in the Mac OS's color management behavior might be affecting it. Flash and Dreamweaver use a similar color picking system, and I see a couple posts from Flash users reporting problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4655101

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4675149

[Incidentally, changing your monitor display to Adobe(1998), as in the second post, does NOT sound like a good solution to me.]

You'll probably want to submit a bug report on this issue:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Also, it would be a good idea to reference the URL of this discussion in your bug report, as it includes a demonstration graphic and links to other reports of the same problem, as experienced by other users.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Make sure that Snap to Web Safe is turned off.

snap.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to Linda Nicholls

Wow! They may have gotten rid of "Snap to Web Safe" in Fireworks CS6. I do not see it in the Color Picker or in the Swatches panel fly-out menu.

CS6 Color Picker.pngCS6 Swatches fly-out menu.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to groove25

They must have gotten rid of it. I don't have FW CS6 yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

To see how color management might explain the shift from Color 1 to Color 2 in your graphic, consider the following experiment.

Your original screenshot uses the icc profile "Color LCD", which is your monitor's display profile. This is a small-gamut color space and requires no actual color management because the image and the display occupy the same color space.

Schermata.pngColor LCD profile.png

According to my online source, untagged images within Mac OS 10.8 are treated as if they have an sRGB profile, so I'm going to change the attached profile of the image to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"—as if it were an untagged image. I want to preserve the image appearance, though, so I'll use Photoshop's Convert to Profile, which also adjusts the numerical data contained within the PNG file.

The image looks the same, but the color space in which its defined is now larger because it's in sRGB IEC61966-2.1 instead of Color LCD.

Schermata+Convert2sRGB-Convert2Display.pngsRGB profile.png

NOTE: The graphic previews in this forum to do not include icc profiles, and some browsers do not support color management. Therefore, to normalize the appearance of all the images in this post, I reconverted the above image to Color LCD.

Now I'm going to pretend that the image is untagged or tagged incorrectly and assign it the original Color LCD display profile. Remember, the image's numerical values were changed previously, so even though I'm simply attaching a color profile here, it's not going to look the same.

Schermata+Convert2sRGB-AssignColorLCD.pngColor LCD inside sRGB.png

As you can see, the colors have become significantly duller. Color 1 in this graphic now strongly resembles Color 2 in the original graphic.

Colors 2 + 1.png

I don't know whether (or how) this experiment corresponds to what's happening in Fireworks CS6 in Mac's Mountain Lion OS, but somewhere in the process of sampling color with the eyedropper tool and applying that color to an object, it's possible that a color translation like the above might be occurring.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Yeah, the above was just speculation on my part. I am surprised that Fireworks CS5 does not suffer from the same problem though. Then again, Fireworks CS6 introduced a new Swatches/Color Picker arrangement, plus support for RGBa and Fill/Stroke transparency, so perhaps there's a connection there. I really don't know.

In any case, it sounds like a bug in Fireworks CS6. So I'd encourage you to submit a bug report to Adobe:

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Hello ilmagodiloz86,

Thanks for adding this post. I'm also experiencing this issue under Fireworks CS6 on Mountain Lion.

What I find the most aggravating is that the color picker not only changes the way the color looks, but also the HEX value.

fwks cs6 color issue.png

Attached is a screenshot of how this issue looks on my machine.

I highly encourage anyone else who is experiencing this to send the bug report to adobe https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform , like @goove25 suggested.

In case it is useful, here is what I submitted on the bug report:

******BUG******

Concise problem statement:

Eyedropper is picking up the wrong color. Same issue as http://forums.adobe.com/message/4684445#4684445

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Place a rectangle in the canvas

2. Fill it it with color #A2CBE6

3. Place a second shape in the canvas.

4. Change the fill of the second shape, by sampling from the fill of the 1st rectangle.

Results:

The second rectangle is filled with color #7FCFE8

Expected results:

The second rectangle should be filled with the original  #A2CBE6

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Unfortunately I think this issue is happening across the entire CS6 Adobe Suite on Mountain Lion. I am having the EXACT same issue in Flash CS6 and have posted about it in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4675392#4675392

I have also submitted a bug report but as of yet have had no response.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to rryanhayes79

I cannot test this myself, but I suspect that Fireworks, Flash and Dreamweaver (the old Macromedia products) are all affected by this bug, as they use a similar color-picking system and are not color managed. By contrast, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign are more likely to be immune.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Incidentally, in Fireworks, the Paste Attributes command might serve as a workaround to this problem in some situations (e.g., in the example at the start of this discussion).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to rryanhayes79

Actually, to anyone experiencing this bug with one product, it would be a good idea to check for its occurrence in other products (i.e., Fireworks, Flash or Dreamweaver) and to submit a separate bug report for each affected software.

Individual software development teams may or may not communicate with each other on issues like this, unless they're made aware that the issue affects multiple products. (As an example, an unrelated Mac OS color picker bug that existed in CS5 and earlier was fixed in Dreamweaver CS6, but not in Fireworks or Flash CS6.) Be sure to mention the other affected software products within your bug reports. There's no guarantee, but this may help expedite the problem's resolution.

You may also want to include URLs to relevant forum postings on the subject, if it will better explain the issue or provide an indication that other users are being affected.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to groove25

Very glad to have found this thread and discover I'm not alone. I reported the bug to Adobe yesterday before reading (I'm on FW CS6 / Mountain Lion). Fingers crossed for an update soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to jamesbowskill

I know that this is a fireworks thread, but since fireworks is displaying the same bug as I am having in Flash, I just wanted to post here and say that today Flash CS6 received an update, and this bug still persists. It was not fixed with the update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to rryanhayes79

groove suggested that I post a work around that I have found in Flash here, just incase the same work around will work in Fireworks.

For whatever reason, when I use the "I" shortcut key in Flash to swap to the eyedropper tool, it allows me to pick my desired color from the stage without changing the color. The only downside to this method is by the end of a project you are left with all sorts of color swatches in your color palette from the colors you have picked, but maybe that's only a downside to me personally since Im so anal about keeping my work area "clean" lol.

To go into more detail, what I do is use the "K" shortcut key to switch to my paint bucket, and then while using the paint bucket I press the "I" key to sample a color and then it changes right back to my paint bucket after the desired color has been selected.

I hope that this solution will work for others until Adobe fixes this issue.

-R.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to rryanhayes79

The work-around posted in Flash Pro forum (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1060487) did not work for Fireworks.

For Fireworks, try setting Color Profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 .

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Actually, for me this even happen when I open a file. I have a psd from a client that, when I open it in Fireworks side by side with opening it in Photoshop, the colors are different. If I pick colors from the psd, they appear in FW as they appear in the file when I open it in FW. Also, screenshots "change color" when I open or paste them in Fireworks...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to neovitaBjorn

Are you converting the file to RGB before importing to Fireworks?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to neovitaBjorn

@neovitaBjorn: I believe you're touching on a much broader topic that would be better addressed in a separate discussion. Photoshop is color managed, whereas Fireworks is not—so you're going to see differences in a PSD file as it's rendered in Photoshop versus Fireworks. (Typically, you'll notice a desaturation and/or tonal shift in Fireworks.)

This is unrelated to the eyedropper/color sampling bug being experienced by users of Fireworks CS6—and Flash and possibly Dreamweaver—on Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

These other discussions might be of interest to you:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4177706#4177706

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/995793?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/972952?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Interesting discussion happening here, and I ran with some of it myself. Here's what's working at the moment:

Go to system preferences > display

Choose the color tab.

Change from "Thunderbolt Display" (or whatever it's defaulted to) and choose "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"

Close it and reopen fireworks.

Seemed to work for me, I hope it works for others. And I hope Adobe shows some more support for great products like Fireworks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to varloodesign

@varloodesign: Another user suggested this previously—karlapudis in reply #20—in response to a Flash forum posting that recommended Adobe RGB (1998).

I could imagine how setting your display profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 might work to sidestep the color management problem within Fireworks, but doesn't it cause a noticeable shift in your display's color output? (On my computer, it creates a very chilling, ghostly blue color cast.)

You can use Mac's ColorSync utility to compare the color spaces of your monitor profile (e.g. Thunderbolt display) and sRGB IEC61966-2.1. (Within the "Lab plot" graphic, there's an option to "Hold for comparison".) For example, my Color LCD display profile is significantly smaller than sRGB IEC61966-2.1:

sRGB vs Color LCD.png

To me, this indicates that my LCD monitor is not capabable of rendering all the colors in sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (even though it's a fairly modest color space). Therefore, I wouldn't feel comfortable using that profile to describe my monitor. It would be trading one problem for another.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Changing my color settings to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 does not fix this problem in Flash.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

@ilmagodiloz86: Does that effect last indefinitely—until you close the application or the document? If so, it might qualify as a legitimate workaround. It might even be possible to create some kind of AppleScript or Automator script that would change the monitor display profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, open Fireworks, and then change back to the default display profile. (Not sure about this; it's just an idea.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

Hey all,

According to ilmagodiloz86, the eyedropper color sampling bug that afflicts Fireworks CS6 on Mountain Lion can be successfully worked around by first setting the monitor display profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (under System Preferences > Displays > Color), then launching Fireworks, and then resetting the monitor display profile to its original setting (e.g., Color LCD).

Following is "proof of concept" that this workaround could be automated via AppleScript. The idea is to use this script to launch Fireworks instead of launching via the dock, the Applications folder, etc.

To create the script, launch the AppleScript Editor (under Applications/Utilities), copy and paste the code below, and save the file as a Script within your user library Scripts folder. From there, it will be accessible within the AppleScript menu at the top of the Finder. (Or it could be saved as an Application to be opened from your desktop, etc.)

tell application "System Preferences"

activate

set current pane to pane id "com.apple.preference.displays"

reveal (first anchor of current pane whose name is "displaysColorTab")

tell application "System Events"

tell process "System Preferences"

select row 29 of table 1 of scroll area 1 of group 1 of tab group 1 of window "Color LCD"

end tell

end tell

quit

end tell

tell application "Adobe Fireworks CS6" to activate

tell application "System Preferences"

activate

set current pane to pane id "com.apple.preference.displays"

reveal (first anchor of current pane whose name is "displaysColorTab")

tell application "System Events"

tell process "System Preferences"

select row 1 of table 1 of scroll area 1 of group 1 of tab group 1 of window "Color LCD"

end tell

end tell

quit

end tell

The key items you'll definitely need to modify within the script are encircled below. The row numbers represent the positions of "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and your original profile (e.g. Color LCD), respectively, within your list of display profiles. You can determine these numbers by looking at the Color LCD dialog and counting; however, you may also need to experiment with this a bit*. (The script can be run and edited within the AppleScript Editor.)

*NOTE: On my system, sRGB IEC61966-2.1 appeared to be in the 28th position; however, its actual row value was 29. I suspect that any horizontal dividers in the list may count as row.

AppleScript editor.png

A few caveats:

• This script was tested in Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8). I don't know whether it will work in Mountain Lion or not.
    • I know almost nothing about AppleScript. This was cobbled together from script samples found online.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to ilmagodiloz86

An interesting thing this workaround/script is that it actually creates an eyedropper color sampling bug when applied in  Snow Leopard. Here's an example of a color being progressively resampled on the canvas using the eyedropper tool, after having launched Fireworks using the workaround script:

progressive resampling.png

The "induced bug" fixes itself when Fireworks is restarted.

I think it's worth noting that the bug does not seem to affect colors as they're being saved, applied, or sampled from the Swatches palette—only when they're being sampled from the canvas (or perhaps from other areas?). So colors applied directly from the color picker are immune, and colors saved to Swatches are also unaffected. This makes the Swatches panel one conduit for saving and applying colors without the distortion introduced by sampling from the canvas (assuming the bug is in effect).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to groove25

Hi @groove25,

I just wanted to thank you for so diligently posting your findings. Also I wanted to share a couple of notes:

1) The workaround of changing the display profile to sRGB, and then opening Fireworks, works for me only if I leave the display profile as sRGB. The moment that I change it back to the original profile, the color picker starts messing up again (I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.2)

2) After reading you note about colors being safe when saved as Swatches, I also realized that another way to know an HEX value accurately is by using the info provided by the "Window > Info" panel.

info panel .png

Aside from giving the current coordinates of the cursor within the canvas, it updates the HEX value of the pixel where the cursor is currently in.

It's interesting how one feature in Fireworks CS6 can get the accurate HEX color (the info Panel), yet the most important one, the color picker is not :/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 12:04 AM   in reply to Alanrq

@Alanrq: That's a great observation regarding the Info panel! If you hover over an object with the Pointer tool, the Info panel seems to provide accurate color values, yet if you hover over the same object using the color picker's eyedropper, you'll see distorted hex code values in the Info panel.

This made me realize something else: The Eyedropper tool itself seems unaffected by this bug! Am I mistaken about this? Not the eyedropper that appears within the color picker, but the Eyedropper tool (I) as selected from the Tool panel. This is something I had overlooked, since this bug doesn't affect my operating system, but it's reminding me of the workaround suggested by rryanhayes79 in reply #19. If so, this should make it relatively easy to sample colors from the canvas and apply them directly to other objects—and this would include sampling colors from semi-transparent objects.

This wouldn't diminish the annoyance factor of this particular bug, but it certainly could make it much less debilitating. As long as you avoid sampling using the color picker's eyedropper tool, you should be OK. (Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.)

Incidentally, I'm surprised that the 'display profile workaround' doesn't work on your system since it was suggested by another Mountain Lion user—plus my own experiences with creating an 'induced bug' on Snow Leopard seem to corroborate it. Either way, it's good to hear feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to groove25

An interesting aspect of the Eyedropper tool (I) is that it samples only from the canvas and ignores interface elements like the blue lines surrounding selected objects (a.k.a. edges). It's as if it reads values and calculates composite values based on a knowledge of the document's content.

The color picker eyedropper, by contrast, samples from anywhere on the screen—including interface elements. So it's a different animal, more of a pure sampling tool.

It's too bad that the Gradient fill color stops are completely dependent on either the color picker eyedropper or the Mac OS color picker. The former is broken on Mountain Lion, while the latter is broken across multiple Fireworks versions and all current Mac operating systems (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1011331?tstart=0).

The Gradient color picker is a good example of where the Swatches panel might serve as a useful intermediary. If you use the Eyedropper tool (I) to sample colors on the canvas, you can save those colors to Swatches. Then, from within the Gradient color picker, you can grab those colors directly from the color picker's swatches and preserve the intended appearance and hex code values. (This is assuming the display profile workaround doesn't work; if it does, you can simply use the color picker eyedropper to sample colors directly from the canvas, without following this more elaborate procedure.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to groove25

Fireworks CS6 eyedropper color not matching solved!!! The normal way is to click the swatch and you get the eyedropper... That will give you the wrong color now, this is where the issue is. To solve the issue, "Make sure you select the eyedropper next to the fill bucket," See image below. It will give you the correct color everytime. Seems to be two different eyedroppers. Took me almost two weeks to trouble shoot this!

solvedCS6colormissmatch.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to VisualSignals

Thank you VisualSignals! Excellent work! Hope the FW engineers solve the issue so this workaround is not needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to VisualSignals

Glad you found a solution, VisualSignals. The Eyedropper tool as a workaround was previously discussed in replies #19, 33, and 34, but your graphic effectively emphasizes it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to groove25

Thanks for pointing that out @groove25... didn't relize that, I just skimmed the thread and thought it said that it did not work in FireWorks. I don't think this is completly an Adobe thing, as we are still having issues with exported images form Fireworks CS6 displaying colors differently in Safari Version 6.0.2 (8536.26.17) On Lion. But when viewed in a windows browser they match.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to VisualSignals

Yeah, the rendering of images across different web browsers and operating systems gets into a broader area of color management that's beyond the scope of this particular forum thread (which is focused on a color sampling bug experienced by users of Fireworks CS6 on Mac OS 10.8, a.k.a. Mountain Lion).

It's worth keeping in mind that Fireworks ignores color profiles, and its output doesn't generally include them, either. Off the top of my head, Safari on Lion may treat untagged RGB images as if tagged with the user's monitor display profile, whereas Windows might treat them as if tagged with an sRGB profile—two different color spaces, two different visual results. (Or it could be the reverse of this; I'm not sure.) And Mac OS Mountain Lion seems to have introduced some changes in how it interprets untagged RGB images.

NeovitaBjorn brought up the difference in rendering between Photoshop and Fireworks (in reply #21), which is a similar color management issue. I included links to some related forum threads in my reply (#23).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points