Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help me figure out why my Indesign CS5 keeps crashing

Sep 10, 2012 11:35 PM

Tags: #cs5 #crash #indesign #crashing #index

Here's the scoop:

1. I created a long document (book) in CS5. I'm a novice so it was a miracle. lol.
  2. I needed help with the Index, so sent it to a gal with CS4 to create the Index
  3. She sent it back. I put it into my Indesign fine...but I then started noticing crashing if I was correcting anything, such as deleting several lines, inserting page break, doing the 4th bullet, doing the 4th of a correction, trying to move a section, changing the font size of a heading, etc. Constant crashes.
  4. My Crash Report: http://pastebin.com/TT9Kr45e
  5. I even tried making a copy to start deleting half, then delete half of that...etc...to find the problem. It only caused another crash. This was when the original doc was now next to the Copy. i.e. Indesign couldn't handle both at all.

I'm stymied! HELP.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 11, 2012 2:50 AM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

The first thing is to install the InDesign 7.0.4 update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

chocolatechipmeringue wrote:

It's completely updated. Was before this all started. 

Not according to the crash report....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

Post the new crash report so we can have a look.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

Next step is probaly to clear the font caches and to check for damaged fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

Cocktail should do it nicely. I'm not sure where to point you for a utility to check the fonts, though. Most font managers have that kind of tool, but I'm pretty sure Apple's own font book does not.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

You have written that when you open the file and when you try do something in it then it crashes.

you should export the file to IDML to remove the minor corruption in it.

also, If you could move the pages or copy and paste the content of the files to a new document and then check.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

That's where the font caches are. Problems outside ID can cause crashing too.

There's a possibility that moving the pages into a new ID file will work, but I suspect not in this case. My own tendency would be to try to export the text to InDesign Tagged Text (put the cursor in a story without selecting anything and you'll see tagged text as an option in the export dialog. As long as not text is selected, the entire story will export) and palce the resulting file into a new document, but I have a feeling if you can't export to .idml you won't be able to export to tagged text, either.

Can you delete that graph entirely? If so, will it work without it? You may find you need to recreate that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

First of all , the caches which Cocktail will remove is system caches and not specific to InDesign , so just run the tool and remove the caches on your computer and check.

Secondly , Move the pages to the New document.

Create a new document with the same document presets.

Select all the pages in the Pages panel in corrupt document.

Go to Layout >> Pages >>Move Pages

In the Dialog box , select the appopriate settingsfor "Move to : " (it should be the new document)

and then click OK , and check the new document.

Thirdly , to copy and paste the content ,

Create a new document with the same document presets.

Copy the contect from the corrupt file (page by page)

Go to the new document and do EDIT >> "Paste in Place"

Save the new file and check

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

Thanks for the Update chocolatechipmeringue, I am glad to know after all this you were able to work out the issue.

It is indeed pretty strange that your collegue worked on the file to make the Index and it resulted in the corruption , now I have few more questions to understand the cause of the issue.

Was your collegue using any third party tool or plugin to create the Index in InDesign?

Or , she created the Index in a different tool all together and then imported it in the InDesign ?

It would be intersting to know how she created the Index after all.

BTW the spinning beach ball that you see may be because of the Pre-flight check , You can turn that off and then check.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

Indexing is a pretty complex feature, to be sure. I don't recall if there were indexing bugs in CS4 early releases, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I'm pretty sure there were inthe 7.0.0 release, which is why I wanted to be sure you were up to date. There are also anecdotal reports of problems converting legacy files in CS5 and later.

Since the problem seems to be inthe index story, there are a couple of other things you might want to try, if you have time, that would make it possible to keep the index updated if you edit the file.

The first is to make a copy of the file, remove the index story, and let ID rebuild if for you.

The second is to ask for an exported .idml or, preferably, .inx file from CS4 from your friend. Open that file and save in your updated CS5 and see how that works.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 3:38 AM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

But are the page numbers in it still correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to chocolatechipmeringue

I'm not really the one to ask as my workflow generally doesn't involve indexes at all. I'd leave that to the last step, if possible, though, and let the built-in index tools do their job. If you use the built-in tools you have the option of updating after a last miute edit, something you can't do if the index isn't tied to markers in the file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points