Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to index people's names?

Sep 11, 2012 1:05 PM

I'm indexing a book that contains a man's name in several variations: R. R.Haynes, Raleigh R. Haynes, Raleigh Haynes, Raleigh Rutherford Haynes.

I don't want to use the See Also method; I'd like all his page references to be for just one of the variations.

Any ideas?

Reneaux

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 11, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Reneaux

You can unify name apearance by using GREP search and replace feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Reneaux

It is quite powerfull tool for styling, finding and/or replacing text patterns.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Reneaux

If you add any of the name variants, make sure to edit it in the Add Index Entry dialog to make it the same. The index entry itself does not have to be the exact text as it appears in your document; it's just an invisible marker, which indicates the page number to appear in the final index.

Unifying the name in your plain text is totally unnecessary (although marking names for an index and then generating it is sure to spot a couple of mis-spellings).

For a name like this, you could go for either "Haynes, R.R." or "Haynes, Raleigh R.", or even "Haynes, Raleigh Rutherford" (to properly distinguish him from his father with the same initials, "Haynes, Robert Redford").

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points