• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My screen name - not my email address! please help

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what I have tried, the forum uses my Adobe ID, which is my email address, for any posts I make.

Why is this happening?

I have changed my screen name to see if it helped, deleted cookies, cleared cache in Firefox & Safari [Snow Leopard].

I have checked & rechecked my Adobe profile for inconsistencies...but what have I missed

I don't want my email adress attached to my posts!

I spent an hour with the chat support and got nowhere (but I have to say he seemed clueless).

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marina,

I hope John, or someone else from the team will see this very soon and set things straight. You may try to send  a private message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quick fix is to go into your forum profile and set it to show your real name while I look into what might be happening.

your stuff > profile > edit forums profile > privacy settings  set name to Everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How/where are you setting your screen name? It shows as being set to the same thing as your email address at Adobe.com.

To change your screen name:

Go to http://www.adobe.com

Sign in using the link in the upper right corner if not already signed in

Select My Information from the drop down in the upper right where it says "welcome, your name."

Scroll down to the My Personal Profile section of the page

What is the screen name listed there?

Try changing it there and click Save My Changes

The next time you sign into the Forums it should pick up the change and show your new screen name next to your messages.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry John, I will  abstain from a certain silly suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t. I removed the link because a PM isn’t effective. I can’t reply to it via email or even read it via email. I can get much more done via the forum messages themselves. It may sometimes take me a day or so to get to PMs, but I can jump into the discussion from wherever I am with just email on any device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed my screen name a few times now & still it seems useless.

I did have some success with the 'quick fix' from above :

your stuff > profile > edit forums profile > privacy settings  set name to Everyone

Now my screen name shows up as my real name rather than my email address.

This is an improvement, but I prefer to be more anonymous.

I changed my screen name again as suggested, and yes, saved it,

but when I signed back in to the forum, I am marina thompson not my screen name.

thanks, m.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you signed out and back into Forums since changing the screen name? I haven't seen this issue before. I just changed the screen name on my personal account and it worked. I'll check it out with Jive to see if there might be a server node out of sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, after changing my screen name again at Adobe.com:

I signed out, quit the browser, and signed back in. No screen name.

Then I signed out, quit the browser, tried another browser.

Still no screen name.

I don't get why you see this as the same as my email because this is what I see:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see my screen name when I go to my profile.

I can change my screen name and the changes are saved.

It just doesn't show up when I sign in.

Is it possible to clear all my Adobe information from the server, and then I can start entirely over?

I don't think there is any critical info there(?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any access to your account to make any changes. You will need to go through Adobe Customer Service for that. 1-800-833-6687

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think there is a bug someplace in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you could try. depending upon your Browser  locate the Cookie Manager.

1. First sign out of the adobe Forums.
  2. Open the cookie manager.
  3. Locate the cookies for adobeforums or forums.adobe.
  4. delete tall of them.
  5. Get out of Cookie manager.
  6. Now sign into the forums using either your email address or your username.

See if you show up under your username.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that so many times I am beginning to feel like Homer Simpson.

Just made another attempt (I couldn't resist) in both Safari and Firefox.

I am now waiting for a technical support call.

fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Adobe tech support resolved my problem, so this is a test.

For starters, my screen name is showing on this page. That MUST be a good sign.

I took them 4 days to fix it. don't know what they did.

Thanks to all for trying to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see it work, marina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p-guell wrote:

I believe Adobe tech support resolved my problem, so this is a test.

... my screen name is showing on this page...

Is it your old screen name or a new one? just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing it so many times…back & forth, up & down, new or old, it doesn't really matter anymore.

It works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

... I think there is a bug someplace in the process.

John:

Did you get to know what happened... or if it's still happening - on some accounts?

Must ask because it happened to me two days ago when I was just signing back into the forums (I wasn't changing anything). Whilst I could manage to fix it pretty quickly, must confess it's indeed a very unpleasant sensation of 'insecurity' to see one's e-mail address being shown on a public forum.

Would also add that with one's mind momentarily prone-to-fear (Am I under an attack?), it doesn't feel comfortable at all to trust a guy that claims to be an Adobe Customer Service's representative, specially if asked for your account/personal info on a chat room (even if you're familiar to a third party service as sales.liveperson.net) that is not easily or properly identified as serving Adobe.

Adobe must surely do something about this matter and although I know it doesn't depend on you, I would await your comments with interest. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur that it is uncomfortable to be trusting personal info with an unidentified person somewhere outside of Dehli (even when they do work for Adobe).

I asked the tech guy if he could explain the problem, and he said it was the first time they had seen this in well over a year:

It had to do with inconsistencies over a number of servers (maybe 7?). If one server goes down at the wrong minute,

and personal information gets changed, it doesn't update correctly and causes personal info to be inconsistent.

So they have to go to each server and make it right. At least that's how he explained it.

I advised him that I was sure I wasn't the only one with the problem…but I'm sure Adobe will find that out soon.

It would be much easier on everybody if Tech Support was fully advised of this potential problem.

Especially because is the kind of problem that fosters distrust and paranoia!

It took me over a week, five techies (plus at least two supervisors) to get to the bottom of it.

[Not to mention the Forum help]

It seems as though it could happen very easily again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p-guell wrote:

I asked the tech guy if he could explain the problem, and he said it was the first time they had seen this in well over a year:

It had to do with inconsistencies over a number of servers (maybe 7?). If one server goes down at the wrong minute, and personal information gets changed, it doesn't update correctly and causes personal info to be inconsistent. So they have to go to each server and make it right. At least that's how he explained it.

Typical explanation - difficult to swallow! Specially if you (in my case) were not changing any 'personal info' at all - I was just returning to the forums.

That's what I'm afraid of, and that's what I'm asking adobe-admin above: Your 'private e-mail address' should NEVER - in no cases - be shown up.

@adobe-admin:

Any news on this matter you may share with us?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John C, who is the main driver of the adobe-admin account, is out of the office this week. I can handle some things in his absence, but this one is technical enough that it's best to wait for his return next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Thank you Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RickCP wrote:

That's what I'm afraid of, and that's what I'm asking adobe-admin above: Your 'private e-mail address' should NEVER - in no cases - be shown up.

@adobe-admin:

Any news on this matter you may share with us?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having trouble following this. Do you have a screen shot of your email address showing? If you look at your own profile while you are signed in you will see your email address, but no other users will.

If someone set their screen name to be their email address or if the go into their preferences and set their email address to show, then we can't control that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

adobe-admin wrote:

Having trouble following this. Do you have a screen shot of your email address showing?

Sorry John I couldn't make one as that day I rather rushed into my Adobe profile to fix it. It happened last Saturday 8th.

If you look at your own profile while you are signed in you will see your email address, but no other users will.

If someone set their screen name to be their email address or if they go into their preferences and set their email address to show, then we can't control that.

Yes, I know that but not my case. Since I first registered my 'privacy settings' have remained unchanged, i.e. same screen name (RickCP) visible to Everybody, and my real name and e-mail address were/are set to be visible to 'myself only'. Rest of changeable options are set to 'Registered users' only.

As mentioned on my post #17 above, that day I wasn't changing any settings but just returning to the forums. Before I signed in, I was looking for a thread of mine at the Adobe Reader Forum's Thread List; when I found it I saw my screen name correctly displayed, but as soon as I had signed in, it changed to my e-mail address.

This is what I did immediately thereafter:

1.- Signed out from the forums and signed in again into My Adobe account > My personal profile (Personal information) where my e-mail address was shown at the 'Name to show' section.

*Note however that it wasn't even my true valid address as the domain was preceded by a number 4?, i.e. xxxx@4hotmail.com.

2.- Tried to edit it with my correct (RickCP) screen name and it was rejected with a 'it already existed' error message.

3.- Signed out, cleared browser's caché and signed in again. No changes.

4.- It needed two times to accept a screen name change to 'Rick' only.

5.- Repeated step 3 above and 'Rick' was shown ok. Proceded then to revert to the original 'RickCP' and it was accepted ok. Signed out from Adobe.com and signed into the forums again, where I could then confirm everything was back to normal.

I would point out, for whatever it's worth to know, that I'm used to always sign out whenever I'm done with the forums.

Furthermore, as you may see above it was some different situation from that of the OP this thread, and although I could fix it pretty quickly (it was a short period but of high paranoia ), I must ask why could this have happened and what can be done to avoid it in the future?

Finally, I would also like to add that later on that day I was doing some searching about the issue at the Adobe Community Help page when the Adobe Customer Service Chat window popped out. I'm not posting here my chat conversation with the Adobe agent (Prakash is his name) as it's as much irrelevant to this thread as his alleged assistance was then useless to the case ... but really wanted to express my disappointment ! Adobe really must do something about it urgently!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines