Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,526 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

How To Make a Used Graphics Workstation More Attractive?

Sep 12, 2012 10:13 AM

I'm in the process of upgrading to a more powerful workstation, and once I switch over I'll be putting the one I am using now (a Dell Precision T5400) up for sale on eBay.

My current machine is no slouch.  It a dual quad core system and even by modern standards still well up there in power (it starts Photoshop CS6 in 3 seconds and scores over 10,000 on the Passmark CPU benchmark).  It's a perfectly functional, reliable system; I just need even more power for some of my development activities. 

I'm toying with the possibility of making it more attractive to potential buyers by putting a bit more money into a couple of SSDs for it.

If you were looking to buy a reasonably powerful Photoshop machine on a budget, which of these would seem more attractive to you?  I've highlighted the differences in bold.

$1200 for:

Professional quality Dell Precision T5400 workstation, Dell keyboard, optical mouse

Dual quad core Xeon x5460 3.16 GHz processors (8 cores total)

16 GB 1333 MHz ECC RAM (4 x 2 GB FBDIMMs)

Drive C: 2 TB total (2 x 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drives in RAID 0)

VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB DDR5

Windows 8 Pro, along with a copy of my Configure the Windows 8 "To Work" Options book.

-or-

$1400 for:

Professional quality Dell Precision T5400 workstation, Dell keyboard, optical mouse

Dual quad core Xeon x5460 3.16 GHz processors (8 cores total)

16 GB 1333 MHz ECC RAM (4 x 2 GB FBDIMMs)

Drive C: 256 GB (2 x 128 GB new OCZ Vertex 4 fast SSDs in RAID 0, boots up Windows 8 in under 15 seconds).

Drive D: 2 TB total (2 x 1 TB hard drives in RAID 0)

VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB DDR5

Windows 8 Pro, along with a copy of my Configure the Windows 8 "To Work" Options book.

If you have another suggestion as to what I might add or change that would make it seem more attractive, I'm interested as well. 

Would it seem attractive to say it will have Windows 8 already set up and ready to go?  Or do you think people would prefer to install the OS themselves afresh?  Also, I could sell it with Windows 7 instead of 8, as I do have a license for it; I just thought that having it be set up with a modern OS would seem more attractive.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

-Noel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Is Win8 up to the task of handling programs on a workstation?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points