Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Convert font / shape from photoshop into clean vector

Sep 12, 2012 9:08 AM

Hey guys

So I have an ongoing problem. I try and try to get my head around how vector points work... within Illustrator and within the pen tool in Photoshop and just cannot get to grips with it. So when i create a logo I tend to start my work in photoshop where generally i will end up with a font and a shape.

Now i understand the basics, such as not resizing the shapes / fonts if they are rasterized etc and generally keeping things crisp looking within photoshop but my problem comes when trying to turn my reletivly simple font and shape into a vector based image so that it can be scaled up and down

My logos look immaculate when viewed at 100% in photoshop, but as soon as i create a work path from the selection it never makes a crisp path, with all the correct curves and straight edges that i expect to see.

Up till now, i always assumed it was just the original fonts that i use and they just arent created completly smooth. But now my work path is really wonky. Whether i use a tolerence of 0.5 or not.. it just doesnt hug my lettering at all. The marching ants i see are even better placed than the work path.

So i guess in summary i would like to know if the above is an issue i can work around? or a good method of creating smooth, crisp vectors from fonts / shapes preferably within photoshop... but i dont mind if illustrator is needed at the end for brief usage.

Thanks

Ps. I use CS6

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to joey.v1985

It would be best if you provided screenshots. I get this nagging feeling that you are either not understanding how vectors rasterize for preview purposes (which is often simply perceived as misalignment or jagged edges) or working at way too low DPI in turn affecting the preview quality as well as the "precision" of any manually traced elements.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to joey.v1985

joey.v1985 wrote:

…Screenshots (for some reason i cant upload to this forum)…

These forums are designed to be accessed through their web interface.

Just use the little camera icon in the Reply Bar of the Editor window:

camera_icon.jpg

Here are your screen shots:

25445892.jpg

26540568.jpg

23852593.jpg

If you are using email to post and reply to the forum, be advised that any and all attachments will just vanish into cybervoid.

Also, you will not see any edits to post if you use email, as edits are never broadcast.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to joey.v1985

What is your reason for not creating this directly in Illustrator? The way you are trying this looks like a lot of extra work, and will not give you the results you want. Illustrator is made for this kind of job.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to SRiegel

SRiegel wrote:

What is your reason for not creating this directly in Illustrator?…

Agreed 100%.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to joey.v1985

If you want to end up with pure vectors, you will need to work in Illustrator. That's just the nature of the progams; Photoshop for raster, Illustrator for vector. Each can incorporate some of the other, but it's a matter of using the right tool for the job. Try Lynda.com or Visual Quickstart if you prefer a book.

And you can always come back to the Illustrator forum here for help as you go along.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to joey.v1985

I agree with others that you could have made the logo in Illustrator.

However, since you used Photoshop...

You seem to have created a logo using Shape and Type layers, rasterized that, and are now vectorizing the raster image.

You can skip the rasterizing and re-vectorizing. Just save the Shapes and Type Photoshop document as a regular layered Photoshop document file and open that with Illustrator. Illustrator will read the Shapes and Type, the Type will even remain as editable Type.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to SRiegel

SRiegel wrote:

…That's just the nature of the progams; Photoshop for raster, Illustrator for vector…

Of course.  I like to think of Photoshop as my digital darkroom and of Illustrator as my graphics or drawing program, then InDesign if their respective end products need to be integrated.

Not that I'd recommend necessarily buying an artificial suite.  I run different versions of the point applications as suitable.  Some applications really don't need to be upgraded past a certain point—except for compatibility issues with the OS.

As an example, I can't think of a single feature I would need or want in a word processor that wasn't already there in Microsoft Word 5.1 for Mac twenty years ago.

In that same vein, Illustrator 10.0.3 and InDesign 2.0.2 suit me just fine. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to conroy

conroy

I didn't know you could do that. I'll file that away--could be useful down the road.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to SRiegel

Not every Shape will be faithfully maintained when a PSD is opened into Illustrator.

Type and solid-colour filled Shapes, like the OP's logo, will be safe.

Gradient-filled Shapes come into Illustrator as images.

Don't expect the new stroke attribute of Shapes in CS6 to be maintained by Illustrator, except perhaps by the latest version. If a PSD is saved with Maximum Compatibility then a raster image of a stroked Shape will appear in Illustrator. If the PSD is saved without Max Compat, a vector shape without the stroke will appear.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to joey.v1985

I created a quick logo somthing like yours. See if its anything like your trying to do.  I used the text tool to create a "jpmedia" text layer.  I positioned it thec converted it to a shape. I then copied the pathe and draged out a bunch og guide lines.  I used the direct select tool to reposition the dot on the i below the i.   I the uset the pen tool to creat the whatever in front of the jpmedia and the elipse too ro remove the circle.  I the use the Path to create a white and a black shape laye. Delete the orifinat text pathe sace this psd file. Its onle 580KB http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/jpmedia.psd

jpmedia.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to joey.v1985

joey.v1985 wrote:

Illustrator HAD to be used

That's not correct. Illustrator could read a Photoshop document containing JJ's vector logo. The vector logo could also be saved from Photoshop as a PDF for Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points